Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't believe that there is a five page discussion on who is greater between hingis and serena......I think hingis was an EXCELLENT AND BRILLANT PLAYER but come on..........serena is and always will be greater. This isn't a discussion and the only reason it is is because you people just can't stand serena. :fiery: :eek: :mad:

The facts:

1. 7 singles slams > 5 singles slams
2. French Open > no french open
3. H2H: 7>6
4. won all four slams in doubles = won all four slams in doubles
5. has won 4 slams in a row (1 of only 5 women) > has won 3 in a row
6. 26 titles (still active so trust there will be lots more) < 40 titles (ill even include all her bs tier III)
7. 11 doubles titles < 36 doubles titles

Hingis has more overall titles yes but is she still playing no.....serena is
I just am shocked that some of the members of this board could not give serena the RESPECT SHE DESERVES.

Hingis is a phenonmenal player and i am the first to admit it but she should not be winning a poll when being compared to serena in greatness. It just isnt right and everyone here knows it. The only reason i am doing this thread is just because serena deserves respect and some of you people dont seem to want to bother to give it to her (heck some of you give sharapova more respect and she's only won ONE SLAM)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VivalaSeles said:
The thread was started in April 2004 !!!!! Now there is no doubt (at least in my mind) that Serena is the superior player. But then ... a lot could be argued and discussed.
:lol: :lol: oh thanks for pointing that out......makes more sense now...my mistake and apologies to the thread starter :)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
They're both pretty evenly matched as far as acheivements...

Hingis DID hold the #1 spot for 209 weeks, despite probably not deserving it for that whole time.

Serena is the better player, though.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
VeeReeFan said:
I just can't believe that there is a five page discussion on who is greater between hingis and serena......I think hingis was an EXCELLENT AND BRILLANT PLAYER but come on..........serena is and always will be greater. This isn't a discussion and the only reason it is is because you people just can't stand serena. :fiery: :eek: :mad:

The facts:

6. 26 titles (still active so trust there will be lots more) < 40 titles (ill even include all her bs tier III)

I just am shocked that some of the members of this board could not give serena the RESPECT SHE DESERVES.

Hingis is a phenonmenal player and i am the first to admit it but she should not be winning a poll when being compared to serena in greatness. It just isnt right and everyone here knows it. The only reason i am doing this thread is just because serena deserves respect and some of you people dont seem to want to bother to give it to her (heck some of you give sharapova more respect and she's only won ONE SLAM)

First of all, I agree with you. BUT, "all her bs tier III" titles. Hingis has a grand total of THREE Tier III titles. Hertogenbosch in 2000, and Doha/Dubai in 2001. Even if you discounted them, she'd have 37 titles. So stop your bitching.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Shut up.:rolleyes:
I don't think there'll ever be fair comparison cuz Hingis' career was just way too short.

VeeReeFan said:

The facts:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ryan17 said:
First of all, I agree with you. BUT, "all her bs tier III" titles. Hingis has a grand total of THREE Tier III titles. Hertogenbosch in 2000, and Doha/Dubai in 2001. Even if you discounted them, she'd have 37 titles. So stop your bitching.
my apologies :) ......i was just a little frustrated is all..didnt mean to offend hingis or her fans....she is a great player and deserves my respect :hearts:

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
VeeReeFan said:

The facts:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
i didn't think your stats showed much at all to be honest. i think serena is the greater player but i don't think it's unbelievably offensive for someone to disagree.

the real difference is that hingis didn't win the french open, and the only reason she didn't was because she fell off a horse one year and had a complete mental breakdown when within points of the beating graf in 99.

again it's like comparing seles and graf (to a lesser extant obviously) because there are so many variables and you have to consider that serena won there last 2 matches when hingis was struggling with her ankle and has won 5 of her slams since hingis retired as being a factor in this argument.

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
well a lot of people, when that thread was actually being posted in with regularity, thought that just because serena had one more slam that martina was the greater player (serena of course has 2 more slams now). she was #1 for SO long. and when she was winning her slams, there was still steffi, monica, venus, serena, lindsay, asv, mary, conchi all playing near their best tennis. then, even when she was no longer winning the slams, she was still winning like 8,9, or 10 (!) titles per year... these were often big titles too. btw, i think martina has a grand total of THREE tier 3 tournaments. and some of those are as strong as tier 2's... like the event before wimbledon and doha. so it is worth talking about.

but... serena is the greater player.

·
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
32,380 Posts
Ryan17 said:

Don't ask too much from many of Williams fans : They always have to convince themselves that they support the greatest champion ever seen with bashing other tennis players like Martina Hingis, Justine Henin and some more... You know they need slams, Major Tournaments titles to be proud of their "favos" :.

Martina Hingis was the most talented player of her generation. At technical level and intelligence of play Martina is way much better than Serena Martina Hingis has been a wonderkid which Serena has never been and will never be.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
i voted for Serena but felt tempted to vote for Hingis just to piss off Tee Rex. He is a troll and his original post contained badly diguised contempt of Martina - using the word WHIPPED to describe the 1999 Us Open? It was a solid win for Serena but hardly a whipping..

Im sure a lot of people just voted against Serena to piss off Tee Rex but in their heart they would have to know Serena is the superior player..

·
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
32,380 Posts
Czechfan said:
i voted for Serena but felt tempted to vote for Hingis just to piss off Tee Rex. He is a troll and his original post contained badly diguised contempt of Martina - using the word WHIPPED to describe the 1999 Us Open? It was a solid win for Serena but hardly a whipping..

Im sure a lot of people just voted against Serena to piss off Tee Rex but in their heart they would have to know Serena is the superior player..
Serena is not supperior at all ! Serena has won slams ok, Serena has won some Major Tournaments. But comparing a girl who doesn't play anymore since October 2002 ( Retired also ) and a player who's still playing is totaly stupid.

·
49,001 Posts
Yeah, I mean Martina has more weeks at Number 1 and more doubles titles, so she's without a doubt greater than Serena.

:smash:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Czechfan said:

If only Serena had converted those championship points she had at 6-3, 5-3 15-40 on Hingis' serve, but she tightened up and let Hingis back in the second set.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.