Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Chionophile
Joined
·
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ASV! Yes you heard it right Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario.

No not the playing style, obviously but how their careers have been so far and how they will turn out.

Let's see:

1. Maria won this Wimbledon and this is only the 7th grand slam tournament she's played in her career. ASV was also playing in only her 7th grand slam tournament when she won Roland Garros in 89. Maria is 17 now and ASV was also 17 when she won.

2. Now to a big point.

Some of you have pointed that this is Maria's only 4th career title. And comparisons have been brought up with players like Serena and Hingis also won their first slams as their 4th career title. YES BUT:

Serena had Paris (Tier II), Indian Wells (Tier I) - beating Graf and L.A (Tier II) - beating Hingis before she won the US Open.

Hingis had Filderstadt (Tier II), Zurich (Tier I) - beating Davenport? and Sydney (Tier II) before she won the Australian Open.

But Sharapova has Quebec (???), Tokyo (???) and Birmingham (Tier II?) before she won this Wimbledon. Tiny tournaments and beating no name players.

Really, there's a big difference!

Hers is more like ASV who won Belgian Open and Barcelona (?) before she won Roland Garros. In other words, they were pretty small tournaments.

3. In their finals they faced reigning queens of tennis who were trying to 3-peat at their various slams. Steffi in Paris and Serena in London. BOTH WERE NOT AT THEIR BEST.

But Sharapova is right now more popular and seemingly a bigger star than ASV was in 89. WHY? Because she's more good looking and has been on magazine covers.

But really, Sharapova is on ASV level. So my prediction is she'll win a few more slams when she gets lucky breaks.

What do you think?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,806 Posts
i don't agree, because they just play such different games
maria always takes the initiative, live and die by her strokes, as roddick says
while arantxa lets her opponent to dictate (and hopefully miss)
maria thrashed serena, arantxa barely squeezed it out against steffi

i think every player is different, there's no point looking out for similarities cause it's not like they will have parallel careers anyway
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
100 Posts
thats absolutely perposterous! to even suggest that these two are in any way mingled for any reasons is just laughable!

here let me make my own prediction...sharapova isnt and should never be compared to Aranxta, EVER...there!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
100 Posts
ANd just too add on, i would just like to make a statement, Jennifer capriati is joining the teletubbies, thats right, shes there new spokewomen...and in addition, shell be having them come to her matches when there sobbing, just to promote them.

-nina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
Sam L said:
ASV! Yes you heard it right Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario.

No not the playing style, obviously but how their careers have been so far and how they will turn out.

Let's see:

1. Maria won this Wimbledon and this is only the 7th grand slam tournament she's played in her career. ASV was also playing in only her 7th grand slam tournament when she won Roland Garros in 89. Maria is 17 now and ASV was also 17 when she won.

2. Now to a big point.

Some of you have pointed that this is Maria's only 4th career title. And comparisons have been brought up with players like Serena and Hingis also won their first slams as their 4th career title. YES BUT:

Serena had Paris (Tier II), Indian Wells (Tier I) - beating Graf and L.A (Tier II) - beating Hingis before she won the US Open.

Hingis had Filderstadt (Tier II), Zurich (Tier I) - beating Davenport? and Sydney (Tier II) before she won the Australian Open.

But Sharapova has Quebec (???), Tokyo (???) and Birmingham (Tier II?) before she won this Wimbledon. Tiny tournaments and beating no name players.

Really, there's a big difference!

Hers is more like ASV who won Belgian Open and Barcelona (?) before she won Roland Garros. In other words, they were pretty small tournaments.

3. In their finals they faced reigning queens of tennis who were trying to 3-peat at their various slams. Steffi in Paris and Serena in London. BOTH WERE NOT AT THEIR BEST.

But Sharapova is right now more popular and seemingly a bigger star than ASV was in 89. WHY? Because she's more good looking and has been on magazine covers.

But really, Sharapova is on ASV level. So my prediction is she'll win a few more slams when she gets lucky breaks.

What do you think?

:bs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,742 Posts
Pretty good comparisons..Maria made a big splash at Wimbledon the year before this one..and the FO before Arantxa won hers in 89 she made a big splash beating Chris Evert in 88! Maria also didnt let Serena's gameplan work and therefore totally frustrated her..and Arantxa stunned Steffi by getting EVERY ball back.

Of course, these are the only similiarities I can find and I definitely think that Maria has a LONG way to go before she is really compared to Arantxa in terms of their CAREER..but as an Arantxa fan and a growing Maria fan I wish Maria all the best!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,058 Posts
i think this comparison is pretty meaningless. you can't just ignore their style differences because the fact is that sanchez-vicario was only really only good enough to win RG - the other slams were pretty much due to her taking advantage of a relative weakness in opposition. sharapova on the other hand is going to do her best at wimbledon and the US and Australian Opens - giving her much more opportunity to win slams. sharapova is also likely to physically develop and thus we don't what level her game could get to, whereas arantxa pretty much had the same physique in her 98 RG win as she did in her 89 win.

we really don't know what is going to happen, but comparing 2 of the most contrasting players solely on how their early careers developed seems futile to me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
100 Posts
i reiterate, Jens joining the teletubbies, and Lil Mo' Connolly is coming back from the dead to make her much anticipated comeback. And....yeah, she is. She's supposedly going to be compared to Amanda Coetzer...but thats just hearsay right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
NINAdiva said:
i reiterate, Jens joining the teletubbies, and Lil Mo' Connolly is coming back from the dead to make her much anticipated comeback. And....yeah, she is. She's supposedly going to be compared to Amanda Coetzer...but thats just hearsay right now.
I would like to make a comparision also.
You speak like a sassy lady. Thus, you must be poisonous :kiss:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
100 Posts
Im not just poisonous, im down right deadly, watch out, i might bite!

...my aim, 2 words, world domination.


:kiss:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
NINAdiva said:
Im not just poisonous, im down right deadly, watch out, i might bite!

...my aim, 2 words, world domination.


:kiss:
So...um...what kind of weapons that would allow you to worldly dominate? :tape:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
100 Posts
I can think of two ....you wanna guess which ones?

I also posses a mean chick kick...hey and why stop at world domination? Im holding out for the entire stratus-phere ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,806 Posts
Cool Canuck said:
Did you read his post :confused:
yeah i did... see switz's post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,570 Posts
masha has the game to dominate womens tennis and win slam after slam, while asv was a consistent performer but never outstanding, and never really dominated
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
53 Posts
Sam L said:
ASV! Yes you heard it right Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario.

No not the playing style, obviously but how their careers have been so far and how they will turn out.

Let's see:

1. Maria won this Wimbledon and this is only the 7th grand slam tournament she's played in her career. ASV was also playing in only her 7th grand slam tournament when she won Roland Garros in 89. Maria is 17 now and ASV was also 17 when she won.

2. Now to a big point.

Some of you have pointed that this is Maria's only 4th career title. And comparisons have been brought up with players like Serena and Hingis also won their first slams as their 4th career title. YES BUT:

Serena had Paris (Tier II), Indian Wells (Tier I) - beating Graf and L.A (Tier II) - beating Hingis before she won the US Open.

Hingis had Filderstadt (Tier II), Zurich (Tier I) - beating Davenport? and Sydney (Tier II) before she won the Australian Open.

But Sharapova has Quebec (???), Tokyo (???) and Birmingham (Tier II?) before she won this Wimbledon. Tiny tournaments and beating no name players.

Really, there's a big difference!

Hers is more like ASV who won Belgian Open and Barcelona (?) before she won Roland Garros. In other words, they were pretty small tournaments.

3. In their finals they faced reigning queens of tennis who were trying to 3-peat at their various slams. Steffi in Paris and Serena in London. BOTH WERE NOT AT THEIR BEST.

But Sharapova is right now more popular and seemingly a bigger star than ASV was in 89. WHY? Because she's more good looking and has been on magazine covers.

But really, Sharapova is on ASV level. So my prediction is she'll win a few more slams when she gets lucky breaks.

What do you think?

Maria Sharapova is very Monica Seles. The grunt, the penetrating strokes, the fearlessness , the mental tenacity, will to win, going for the lines....etc, very Selish.

One huge similarity: MS(16 year old Monica Seles soundly beat top seed Steffi Graf to win her 1st Grand Slam at the 1990 French Slam while MS(Maria Sharapova beat Serena Williams in straight sets to win her 1st Slam.

Monica Seles went on to topple Graf from the top spot and win more slams while for Sharapova... it still remains to be seen. But with the play we all saw yesterday in her complete domination of Williams,,,it wont be long for that to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
Well, I enjoyed reading Sam's post and was impressed by the similarities. How weird were the parallels? The only thing incorrect was that Hingis didn't win Zurich before winning the 1997 Australian Open. She won Filderstadt (Tier II) beating Lisa Raymond in the final, Oakland (Tier II) beating Monica Seles in the final, and Sydney (Tier II) beating Jennifer Capriati in the final. The Zurich win over Davenport didn't happen until 2000. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
The comparison to Monica Seles was a good observation too.

How about another observation? Maria Sharapova won Wimbledon on her second attempt at age 17, beating the top seed and debatable dominant player in the final (Serena Williams). Serena Williams won the US Open on her second attempt at age 17, beating the top seed and debatable dominant player (Martina Hingis). Ooooooooohhh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,514 Posts
Fantastic said:
Well, I enjoyed reading Sam's post and was impressed by the similarities. How weird were the parallels? The only thing incorrect was that Hingis didn't win Zurich before winning the 1997 Australian Open. She won Filderstadt (Tier II) beating Lisa Raymond in the final, Oakland (Tier II) beating Monica Seles in the final, and Sydney (Tier II) beating Jennifer Capriati in the final. The Zurich win over Davenport didn't happen until 2000. :)
your incorrect too, hingis beat anke huber in the flderstadt '96 final

she beat lisa raymond the following year :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,499 Posts
Hmm....interesting....but it is worth pointing out. This is only Maria´s first really big win. We will see how she develops.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top