Discussion Starter #1
Men's 1st round doubles:

Landsberg/Nieminen def. Kiefer/Rochus 6-1 2-1 ret. :eek:
Haarhuis/Kafelnikov def. Ferrer/Martin 0-1 ret. :eek: :rolleyes:
Llodra/Santoro def. Garcia/Nalbandian 6-4 3-0 ret. :eek:
Knowle/Kohlmann def Saretta/Vicente 3-1 ret. :eek: :rolleyes:
El Aynaoui/Vanhoudt def. Gaudio/Lobo 5-2 ret. :eek:
Chela/Roitman def. Schalken/van Lottum 6-1 1-1 ret. :eek:

Well, 3000$ for showing up and playing a few games is a good deal, isn't it ? :rolleyes:

Seriously: Some retirements might have been legit, but definitely not all.
The others had a plane to catch after losing in singles and being fed up with this tournament, or realised that they are still active in singles and need to rest, but without missing the cash.

Greedy a**holes. :rolleyes: Not surprised that Kiefer is among them. :p

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
At least Nicolas played a full set.;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
GoDominique said:
Haarhuis/Kafelnikov def. Ferrer/Martin 0-1 ret. :eek: :rolleyes:
These guys even managed to retire from a winning position! :worship: I mean, the match was in the bag, there's no way Haarhuis/Kafelnikov were going to come back from such a huge deficit and win it! :p

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
ROFL! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is pathetic! shoot... lemme sign up to play men's doubles... I can look butch. :devil:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Cariosity, I think people would be able to tell you're not a man when you're wearing the Puma catsuit! :hearts:

And don't say that about looking butch! That might make TC cry! :sad: ;)

As far as the men's doubles withdrawals go, there should be an investigation. I've never seen anything like that at a tennis tournament! :eek:

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's not normal for so many withdrawls but accusing players without really know whether their withdrawls are legitimate or not, is not fair.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
A lot of those players (hmm, in fact at least one from each pair) played long singles matches, so I'm not surprised they retired from doubles. It's better to drop doubles than singles, or at least that's the mindset.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Although the number of withdrawals looks suspicious I believe there are many different factors to blame, not just greediness

1 - 14 of 14 Posts