1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday 17 January 9:44

Williams injury gives Open organisers another scare
By Roger Vaughan

Women's second seed Venus Williams became the latest injury scare for the Australian Open tournament after she struggled through her second-round win over fellow American Kristina Brandi.

Williams dispatched Brandi 6-3 6-4, but had strapping over her left kneecap and did not move well.

She was limping noticeably after the match because of tendinitis in the joint and will rest tomorrow in a bid to be ready for Saturday's third-round match against Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova.

"I just think I was really fortunate tonight - God's blessed me to able to get through this round."

The tournament lost Williams' sister Serena (ankle) and fellow top American Lindsay Davenport (knee) through injury in the lead-up to the first round.

Williams was hopeful of being ready for the third round and said she was determined to keep going after Serena's withdrawal.

"I've been there, done that and I'm pretty experienced in dealing with injuries, so I will hope for the best," she said.

"Serena wasn't able to play so I have to give it my all, hang around a little longer.

The injury flared in the last half hour before the match and Venus praised her trainer for helping her cope with the sudden problem.

"I don't really know why it happened - I guess I had a problem with it in the past and sometimes old pain revisits you in the most inopportune times.

"My trainer did a really good job helping me stay out there.

"I was really nervous - every point meant so much to me."

She confessed the result, or even her likelihood of taking to the court, might have been different had she been playing a better opponent than Brandi.

Williams successfully out-muscled Brandi, but clearly will struggle to survive into the second week of the tournament if her mobility around the court remains restricted.

"I've played Kristina before, she's a very good player, but I was hoping if I put a little extra mustard on the ball...if I was maybe playing a top player, then the chances would have been really slim," she said.

"I'm looking forward to playing, I really am, I will take it one day at a time - it seems this is a really bad tournament for the seeds."

--If she played wednesday, wouldn't it make sense for her to play friday?

Saturday Hmmm.......Tourney organizers groping now huh?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I think it probably simply an error on behalf of the writer, lord knows there has been so many of those by so called "tennis writers".

Hope she's okay though :)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well it would make sense for them to try to keep another seed from dropping, if it could be avoided.
It's not like they didn't do it already. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
She plays Friday. It's the second match on the Rod Laver Arena.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts