Well I am kind of in a nice mood right now, and I feel really bad about how mean I've been to Amelie, a woman I don't even know and haven't met. So, to repent, I decided to make a list of all of her qualities that I really truly admire.
- She is an openly homosexual public figure. Can we say "courage"? I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for her, and yet she acts like it's no big deal. She seems like a really strong person in that way.
- She does so much work with charity. I remember her building houses for Habitat last year, and I just thought, "what a cool, sweet woman." Her saying, "Everyone needs a roof over their (sic.) head" just really made me respect her so much. It's easy enough to give money when you are a well off celebrity, but to give of your time, now that's something special.
- She always has something nice to say, win or lose. She can be mean sometimes, but, more often than not, she is sweet. I admire resentless, kind people so much. It is very hard not to be mean in this world.
- Her game can be beautiful. She volleys so well, and just does so many things on court that are sooooo pretty.
- She understands her weak points. This is very very hard to do. When Justine was the biggest choker on tour, she would never admit to it. She eventually must have to herself, because she got over it, but she would deny it continually. Amelie knows that she is mentally fragile, especially at home. That's really cool, because our own faults are always the hardest to see.