Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine if you won a GS title because every other top 20 player refused to show up?

Imagine if you won WIMBLEDON because every other top 20 player refused to show up?

Imagine if that happened in the Open era, at the very height of tennis' popularity?

In the history of tennis, that surely deserves an asterisk. Everyone would always remember that player wasn't really a true Wimbledon champ, wouldn't they?

Well, this actually happened, and I haven't noticed it being brought up here in the last couple weeks at all. SO it seems to me people WOULDN'T remember it. If you can win Wimbledon in the Open era with no other top twenty players there, and THAT no longer causes comment, then the absence of TWO players isn't even going to be a footnote in tennis history.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree. In a year, everybody talks about the "US Open Champion", not about "US Open Champion because ...".

Btw: Who can know for 100% that a Williamssister would win the US Open if they were there? Nobody! Other players are becoming stronger and the gap is becoming smaller! The player who wins this, deserves the title and the credit!

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Filip! said:
I agree. In a year, everybody talks about the "US Open Champion", not about "US Open Champion because ...".
Three years, I think. Next year, it's all going to be (if they are) 'the Williams sisters back! Can [Fill in 2003 US winner here] prove last year wasn't a fluke?'

·
Registered
876 Posts
Volcana said:
Three years, I think. Next year, it's all going to be (if they are) 'the Williams sisters back! Can [Fill in 2003 US winner here] prove last year wasn't a fluke?'
Yep right, I wasn't thinking about that :cool:

·
Banned
35 Posts
it would be fun beating all the little people :p

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wimbledon 1973 - The test of the power of the ATP.

The men went on strike. I forget what over. It was basically an ITF-ATP power struggle. Jan Kodes was forced to play by his country's federation. (Was he Czech? Memory fails.) Anyway, it was a Communist country, and they basically told him 'play or you will no longer be allowed to play tennis'. So he did. Being the only top twenty player present, he won pretty easily.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think in australia 78 the topseed was number 50

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Volcana said:
Wimbledon 1973 - The test of the power of the ATP.

The men went on strike. I forget what over. It was basically an ITF-ATP power struggle. Jan Kodes was forced to play by his country's federation. (Was he Czech? Memory fails.) Anyway, it was a Communist country, and they basically told him 'play or you will no longer be allowed to play tennis'. So he did. Being the only top twenty player present, he won pretty easily.
Never heard of him. ;)
Instead of saying he won because of such and such,
people simply don't remember who he was.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you heard of Lew Hoad or Pacho Segura?

·
Registered
22,126 Posts

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Kabuke said:
Never heard of him. ;)
Instead of saying he won because of such and such,
people simply don't remember who he was.
lol

We can say what we want about tennis players making "history" but they just don't, except for a very selective group of players. When you win only 1 or 2 GS you're not making history, because in 50 years no one will remember you.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kabuke said:
Then perhaps the problem lies in your ignorance of the history of tennis. Now having heard of Jan Kodes is defenisble, if barely, for anyone whop claims to know the sport. Never having heard of Hoad, who won WImbledon twice before turning pro, and was the best of the pros during his career, except for Pancho Gonzalez, is a comment on YOU, not of 1980 enshrinee to the International Tennis Hall of Fame Lew Hoad.

Pancho Segura, while not the player 'Big' Pancho was, won the World Professional Championships twice.

I'd ask if you've ever heard of Rod Laver, but I'm afraid of the answer.

I'm not going to suggest you stop commenting on things you know nothing about, since an awful lot of people besides you would have to stop posting here under that standard. But for God's sake, at least be aware of how little you know about tennis.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think many don't know who alice marble or pauline betz(hope that's the right spelling) are either and both won more then one slam before the fifties :eek:

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
irma said:
I think many don't know who alice marble or pauline betz(hope that's the right spelling) are either and both won more then one slam before the fifties :eek:
Yes but they've HEARD OF Alice Marble and Pauline Betz. Kabuke said he NEVER HEARD OF Jan Kodes, or Lew Hoad or Pancho Segura. I know soe people think tennis started in 1980, but still ...

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
IMO, their is will be an asterisk if one of the sister's wins the title next year. You will then have everyone saying," The reason so and so won is because...".

On a U.S. Open hard court the sisters are most likely to win, now if this was clay you could not say the same. 4 U.S. Opens is not a small feat. That means that the sisters have shut out the competition for 4 straight years even with everyone around.

Truthfully, in the history books it will not matter who wins the title and who is not present. However, it will become a debate for years to come if the sisters continue to win the U.S. Open when they return.

You still have people arguing that Steffi benefited when Monica was stabbed by a mad man, and that she would not have won so many slams if Monica was not attacked. In a way it rings true, because Monica was the new breed ushering the next phase of women's tennis in. However, even though it was highly likely that Monica would of beaten Graf in some of those slams you still cannot change history or take away credit from her.

The tennis community in general will contine to discuss and debate issues such as these and I think that is fine.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have heard of Lew Hoad and Pancho Segura, but not Alice and Pauline whomever...

In 5 years from now, no one will care that the Williams sisters weren't here. Does anyone still bring up the Australian Opens Pete missed (when Kafelnikova won and there was another, too)? Do people criticize 2 of the majors Arantxa won because Seles wasn't there? Do people criticize Seles winning the Australian in 1996 when Graf was absent?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I agree with Volcana.

sure, with the Williams sisters out it looks a little tainted, now. I nearly sure that Serena would have won should she had played but there is not certainty.

However, if you taint a GS just because someone wasn't there, then you can well taint a whole lot of them.

And not necessarily those with boycotts, or strike or whatever.

There are many examples. Of course we can think of Monica's stabbing.

But also, what about 97-99, what if Steffi was healthy in that period?

What if Justine wasn't ill at last year's French Open?

what if Serena had played last year's Australian Open?

What if Martina Hingis didn't get injured?

What if Lindsay didn't get injured?

What if Capriati didn't have the problems she had.

The what-ifs are unlimited, you probably can taint near all GSs.

Said that, my position with respect to Justine IF she wins the US Open is that she probably wouldn't if Venus or Serena were playing. However, the US Open is by far the most difficult GS for her to win, so tainted or not it's a great opportunity for her to get it off her back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts