Tennis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally guarantee it. What do you think the TV networks are telling the USTA right now?

"No thanks to the 1st weekend. We're only interested in buying the Semis and Finals, thanks."

They can't afford NOT to build one.

· Registered
43,627 Posts
I don't know they would be able to add a roof to Ashe. The construction of the roof would take such a long time.

Personally, I don't see it happening for a few reasons:

1-the construction would take a long time--maybe into the next Open (they wouldn't be able to work all winter)

2-the cost

I think the idea of the Wimbledon tarp is a better idea.

· Registered
713 Posts
Ashe would need a tarp, it's far too big, but Armstrong could have a retractable. Grandstand is higher on one side so that might have to be a tarp too. But they HAVE to do something. It's ridiculous. Wimbledon needs to do something as well.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
How about this: the USTA, in a bold move to preserve U.S. Tennis history, makes the decision to return to Forest Hills and the West Side Tennis Club in 2006, abandoning the ugly, fan and player-unfriendly concrete parking lot that is the current National Tennis Center. Along with this monumentous decision, it was agreed that all of the original grass courts, plus 10 new ones would be refurbished and constructed at the West Side Tennis Club in time for the 2006 U.S. Open!

· Banned
635 Posts
Here's why I'm against a retractable roof:

1) The US Open is an OUTDOOR hardcourt event. Yes, there is a big difference between indoor tennis and outdoor tennis.

2) Unless Ashe, Armstrong and Grandstand all had retractable roofs (which they can't afford), that's the only way they could fit all 4th round men's and women's matches, plus doubles.

3) Even if that took place, half the women's 4th round matches were completed. It's not fair at all to allow half the draw to play indoors.

· Banned
635 Posts
Fantasy Season said:
Here's why I'm against a retractable roof:

1) The US Open is an OUTDOOR hardcourt event. Yes, there is a big difference between indoor tennis and outdoor tennis.

2) Unless Ashe, Armstrong and Grandstand all had retractable roofs (which they can't afford), that's the only way they could fit all 4th round men's and women's matches, plus doubles.

3) Even if that took place, half the women's 4th round matches were completed. It's not fair at all to allow half the draw to play indoors.
4) A roof would only be useful from say the Quarterfinals on.

Therefore, a roof is not necessary, in my opinion.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,904 Posts
I'd love it to be moved from NYC at all. Or at least move it form island to the mainland. And build a new Tennis Center with roofs, this one is too ugly.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
way too expensive to build a retractable roof. plus, they break easily and then they are either stuck open, closed or halfway in the middle. look, even the ultra rich NFL doesn't have stadiums with retractale roofs. (I know football CAN be played in rainy weather, but ). tennis is a marginal sport here in the usa. they ain't gonna spend a lot of cash on a NEW roof to a BRAND NEW stadium.

they need a couple of TARPS, that is it.

· Registered
3,730 Posts
I see tarps coming before I see a roof. Arthur Ashe would have to be reventilated because with a roof, it would be sufficating.

Tarps are much easier to handle and would keep the surface the same, etc etc. Although, this year's Auckland event before the Australian Open was rained out and it was finished indoors.

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
How high can a Circus Tent be ??
i've seen plenty of big ones, they could put one of those up, it will sum this tournament up as it is a bit of a Circus with clowns running the show.

· Registered
3,730 Posts
LMAO Eggy!!

The officials have definitely shown what asses they can be. I say, kick out the corporate clients and let's have that Indoor Slam we've always wanted! :D

· Registered
5,873 Posts
IN 2005? That might be just in time for Kim to play her final of this US Open.

· Registered
3,332 Posts
OK people, this is one bad year for the US Open. Ride the storm out and im sure that the players wouldn't mind being delayed if a grand slam was on the line. Building a roof over Arthur Ashe Stadium is next to impossible, but it could be done.

· Registered
3,065 Posts
A roof or rain cover is not impossible.

If the Romans could hang a cover over the Colosseum 2,000 years ago, then some sort of movable top to the main stadium(s) could be put in.

This is a huge event. It features high on TV schedules around the world. Millions of pounds are involved on a daily basis. Yet, a little drizzle and screens round the world go blank for days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.