Tennis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted, before I say anything, I've only seen Hingis post-surgery

But my question is, pain in her feet aside, would she be anywhere near the top 20?

I think yes.

Yes her serve is not that great, but it never was.

You don't go from beating Venus Williams 6-1 6-1 to being beaten 6-1 6-2 by someone who's serve is WORSE! (Dementieva) because you "can't handle the power"

She's made power players look stupid
She's made power players look unskilled
She's made power players look like brain truly beats brawn

And that all goes away how exactly?
And I don't buy the fact that she on beat V, Rena, and everyone else because she only could induce errors, I'm sure she did, but she was able to BEAT them, not just help them beat themselves.

Or maybe I'm wrong

And quite frankly, it can't be that the power players got that much smarter cause Serena half the time did the same thing she used to back in the day, just more consistent at it.

Is it that they got that much more powerfull?
Maybe, but I doubt Hingis was at home baking cookies the whole time.

Here's the point, would Hingis, without those foot issues, be a contender again? Not neccesarily #1, but back up there.

And again, I've never seen her at her best, but you don't get 5 grand slam titles and be at #1 for 209 by being a bookworm.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
As a Martina fan, I'm still suspicious of her foot injury. As someone said in the othe threads, with today's medical improvements, why not?

She may sound definite about never coming back anymore......but in all her interviews she always say that she misses the game and misses being around the venues and the center courts. Give her another year and she might be back;) Although, she would not reign as she did back then and that's the truth. She should come back just for the love of the game and that's what she didn't have in those Grand Slam finals she lost in the past, she wanted it so badly but it didn't look like she was having fun. I miss Martina too;)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The most interesting thing is, there are so many threads. It's interesting, but not surprising. Women's tennis took a major hit when she retired. She was not only the most controversial, but clearly the most colorful personality on the tour.

The number ones who have come after her look like pale copies in comparison.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
TonyP said:
The most interesting thing is, there are so many threads. It's interesting, but not surprising. Women's tennis took a major hit when she retired. She was not only the most controversial, but clearly the most colorful personality on the tour.

i disagree, Serena transcends tennis. She is popular on a whole 'nother level. Her popularity outside tennis has increased the popularity of tennis as a whole. She is really perfect for the #1 spot.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
TonyP said:

Don´t fool yourself. Serena is as much if not more colorful than Hingis ever was.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Martina was a character. She will be missed. We hope she will return to finish her career.

and at best. Martini would be ranked #8 today, but if she plays alot of tournaments like Kim maybe No. 3. with this crazed ranking system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ballbuster said:
...and at best. Martini would be ranked #8 today, but if she plays alot of tournaments like Kim maybe No. 3. with this crazed ranking system.
Therein lies the problem. I don't believe for one second that Hingis would be content with anything but the #1 spot, something she can no longer achieve.

Call me cynical, but the foot injury was a logical excuse for her to get off the circuit, and precludes a comeback.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
TonyP said:

Word!

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I definitely think she would be a contender!!

Heck if she hadnt choked she would have been the 2002 Aussi Open champ!!

She would lose more often than win against Venus, Serena, she would win roughly as often as she lost against Clijsters, Henin, Davenport, Mauresmo, Capriati and would probably win more often than lose against the rest of the tour...

I think she'd be consistently around the # 5 mark in the rankings...

Reactions: disposablehero

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think if Martina was to come back, she would have to improve that serve, and other aspects of her game. I think more than anything, she lacked confidence in the last few years of her career. No longer was she going for those outright impossible winners. Her backhand down the line was not used as much, etc. It almost seemed for awhile there she was just trying to bang with the big girls at the baseline. If you watch some of her matches she could get by, but it made it that much more difficult because it was such intense, highly physical tennis she was playing when at the baseline against Capriati for instance. She also hit to the center way too much, which could have been a lack of confidence. I miss Martina a ton.

BTW, can we just say that BOTH Martina and Serena are colorful, instead of always fighting to have one be "better"? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
her game technically is #1:) .
I just dont think she's mentally strong enough and aggressive like the Martina of 97-99. She didnt hit tha ball that hard but was so aggressive in the fact she took the ball so early and hit the most incredible angles, keeping the opponent on the run..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.