Valiant! :D

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
And do your "Johnny Mac" thing while people remember you:p

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I don't understand why everyone was complaining in the scoring thread about Costa's "whingeing", it was perfectly justified. Lapentti is a very irritating player, he deliberately slows down the pace of the game, takes an eternity to serve and sucks all the spirit out of his opponents through his parasitic clinging on to matches he should lose.

Anyway, a truly noble effort from Costa. If their match in Rome is anything to go by, his encounter with Clement is going to be another marathon, and I hope Costa can make it one step further in defence of his title, although I'd be happy for Clement to make the quarters for the first time as well.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Where is that poster from ATPWorld, CostaSlam2?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hendouble said:
I don't understand why everyone was complaining in the scoring thread about Costa's "whingeing", it was perfectly justified. Lapentti is a very irritating player, he deliberately slows down the pace of the game, takes an eternity to serve and sucks all the spirit out of his opponents through his parasitic clinging on to matches he should lose.
You don't understand it cause you prefer Costa.I try to understand why his fans didn't see anything wrong with his injury timeout,but I was rooting for Nico,so that's hard.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well, I suppose it's inevitable that fans of a particular player will adopt that player's viewpoint in an argument. The question is, what is the actual truth? I don't see anything tactical behind Costa's time-out or complaints, he was clearly in pain and getting annoyed by his own poor play and his opponent's slow pace.

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Costa did feel the pain on his neck, you only had to see his face, he was really suffering. Both players needed the injury time out.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
it's only tennis and I don't care.IMO that injury timeout was tactical,cause somehow right after that there was no sign of it.And mayeb I'm naive to think that neck injury would have had more effect on your play.But surprisingly it was all gone as if he was touched by a magic wand.Kudos to him for coming back again,but he behaved like a brat.(I'm sure that it's mostly the tension of being the defending champ and desire to repeat).At least I'm consistant and diss him for things I would diss other players (like Hewitt),and the same can't be said about some...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
One word? How about irritating?

We saw that last set and good grief, could Costa be any more of a bitch? Line calls, mocking Lapentti's cramps, screaming at the umpire and refusing to shake his hand after the match.

I don't like Costa or Lapentti, but Costa certainly didn't win me over with his attitude today.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
PS, Al took some medication and had a massage. It was probably not a major injury but I suffer from these types of neck problems and know that they are quite painful but can go away quickly´.

Lapentti and Costa get along great and there was nothing that either did that I found objectionable but it did seem at times that LAPENTTI was exaggerating his cramps at the end and isn't he the very same guy who accused Roddick (or was it another player?) of doing the very same thing in the past?

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
"After a tight first set, won by Lapentti, Costa called the physio in for treatment on a stiff neck at 4-3 down in the second. The quick massage was not enough to enable him to salvage the second set though. Lapentti's deft drop-shots and a delightful combination of cross-court strokes had Costa chasing shadows. The fans in Suzanne-Lenglen Court were not about to let Costa go without a fight though. They roared the champion back into action in the third and he regained the initiative, winning it 6-3."

- from the Roland Garros website -

so it's not like Al came back after treatment and played great to win the second set!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Yes, I was thinking about that the whole time! It happened last year in Toronto, and Lapentti was extremely upset & he & AR had a big argument at the net after the match. I was there, but Becca was sitting close to the action so you can ask her for more details. :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
treufreund said:
PS, Al took some medication and had a massage. It was probably not a major injury but I suffer from these types of neck problems and know that they are quite painful but can go away quickly´.

Lapentti and Costa get along great and there was nothing that either did that I found objectionable but it did seem at times that LAPENTTI was exaggerating his cramps at the end and isn't he the very same guy who accused Roddick (or was it another player?) of doing the very same thing in the past?
I saw that.Believe I wouldn't have made a comment if I hadn't seen the whole thing.And LOL,how do you know what kind of neck problem it was?This is really amusing...(sorry my inner bitch strikes again)

aboutthat ROddick incident.I know that there was sth between them,but I can't remember what.I thought it was ROddick accussing Lapentti?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
treufreund said:
"After a tight first set, won by Lapentti, Costa called the physio in for treatment on a stiff neck at 4-3 down in the second. The quick massage was not enough to enable him to salvage the second set though. Lapentti's deft drop-shots and a delightful combination of cross-court strokes had Costa chasing shadows. The fans in Suzanne-Lenglen Court were not about to let Costa go without a fight though. They roared the champion back into action in the third and he regained the initiative, winning it 6-3."

- from the Roland Garros website -

so it's not like Al came back after treatment and played great to win the second set!

and your point is?I can copy you some things from Eurosport on Moya-Chela match and how wonderful it was...

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
the way that Al's neck was being rubbed was similar to how mine was treated. of course I am not 100% sure but Al Costa is considered by fellow players to be a great sportsman (just like his best friend Alex Corretja). Both of them can get a bit cranky but that is because they go through periods where their games fall apart (just like Moya and sometimes Ferrero). they are very expressive and when Albert is screaming and yelling and mad it is 99% of the time only directed at himself.

Anyways, wish I could be there now to give Al a much-needed rubdown! :eek:

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
4hrs 36 mins, btw.

how was Albert able to stay cramp free after his first two marathon matches and yet the younger, lighter Lapentti was more tired. I guess Nico was further behind the baseline and just running and defending always. Nico does play very defensively.

The only reason I pointed this out is to show how players like JENNY or ALBERT who are built very powerfully are actually very deceptively fast and have incredible reserves of fitness. Albert impresses me with his ability to keep the very very deep with a lot of topspin. It's not easy to get a short ball from Albert!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts