Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Clijsters wins the trophy and Williams goes out in R4 or before, it is a fact.
Chances are slim mainly for the latter but the pressure must be felt by the Williams clan.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Interesting and thanks for pointing this out - but I don't think I'll put the champers on ice just yet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
There's quite a no. of scenarios in which it seems likely that at some point this year Clijsters will make it to no. 1.

1. I'm the first one to admit it would be because Kim played a higher no. of tournaments

2. There's no way this would mean Kim's better. Just ranked higher.

Williams fans should be preparded to see Serena lose her no. 1 ranking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Martian Stacey said:
ah well, we can dream anyway ;)
Kim beating Serena in the RG final
followed by Serena beating Kim in the Wimbledon final

You honestly think that has a zero percent chance of happening?

I would just like to tell you if it would happen Kim would be no. 1

I'm not saying it's al likely scenario, at least it's a possibility beyond just dreaming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,731 Posts
Its not gonna happen unless Serena plays bad and draws someone like, Loit, Schett, Gargiulardi etc who know thier way around a clay court.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,448 Posts
go kim!!!!win this thang!

go VERA!take serena OUT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
gopher said:
If Clijsters wins the trophy and Williams goes out in R4 or before, it is a fact.
Chances are slim mainly for the latter but the pressure must be felt by the Williams clan.
i don't think you're right...
4Th round might just not be enough:

Last Year, 4th rounders won between 118 and 190 points (Rubin).

Serena would have 5500 points at the start of RG.
Kim would have 4721 points and 93 in her 17th tournament (so, considering she'd win more than 93pts (which she would when winning the tournament), she'd have 4628 points.

5500 + 4th round points = PROBABLY between 5618 and 5690 pts.

so, kim might need to win 5690-4628=1062 pts, which is just about what she might win...

A 3rd round is (normally) better, with a 4th round loss, you might get VERY close, but no cigar...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Ok, so far we've had a lot of assumptions on what would happen if player X were to win tournament Y and so on.

Hey, Serena might well hold on to the no. 1 for the rest of the year but

Roland Garros + Wimbledon is really the chance for Clijsters to close the gap.

No more assumptions what follows are simple facts:

RG + Wimbledon make up 32 % of Serena's points total
RG + Wimbledon make up 0 % of Kim's points total

This should make it likely that after Wimbledon the gap will probably be narrowed down. How far, we'll just have to wait and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,640 Posts
But Kim doesn't have good results on grass yet ;)

Ok It's all possible but please stop counting on bad performances of other players.
Kim may be number 2 now but imo she's still number 3! Rankings don't tell everything! Kim lost, with huge scores, of Venus in Antwerp and couldn't beat Serena so imo she is number 3. Kim also needs a lot more matches to keep her ranking while Venus and Serna almost don't play at all!

For me personally, I really hope Justine gets on the number 1 position someday but not because of an injury or something. If she does I hope she's better than the others and could beat them all. That's what a real number 1 is about ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
fleemke² said:
But Kim doesn't have good results on grass yet ;)

Ok It's all possible but please stop counting on bad performances of other players.
Kim may be number 2 now but imo she's still number 3! Rankings don't tell everything! Kim lost, with huge scores, of Venus in Antwerp and couldn't beat Serena so imo she is number 3. Kim also needs a lot more matches to keep her ranking while Venus and Serna almost don't play at all!
For me personally, I really hope Justine gets on the number 1 position someday but not because of an injury or something. If she does I hope she's better than the others and could beat them all. That's what a real number 1 is about ;)
With respect to Serena this is absolutely true, as for Venus that's no longer true :rolleyes:

For this year :

Points gained/tournament:

Serena : 460
Kim : 322.25
Venus : 317

To put it in a different way: Kim may have played double the no. of tournaments Venus has, she has earned more than double the points Venus has.

So with respect to Venus, it's no longer about Kim playing more tournaments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
great smash said:
Ok, so far we've had a lot of assumptions on what would happen if player X were to win tournament Y and so on.

Hey, Serena might well hold on to the no. 1 for the rest of the year but

Roland Garros + Wimbledon is really the chance for Clijsters to close the gap.

No more assumptions what follows are simple facts:

RG + Wimbledon make up 32 % of Serena's points total
RG + Wimbledon make up 0 % of Kim's points total

This should make it likely that after Wimbledon the gap will probably be narrowed down. How far, we'll just have to wait and see.
If you include points up till US open, it's even worse:

SWI 44,47%
VWI 62,09%
CLI 11,15%
HEN 17,35%
DAV 33,78%
MAU 48,30%
CAP 45,26%
RUB 53,82%
HAN 42,70%
MYS 31,21%
DOK 46,37%
SEL 45,23%
DEM 30,08%
MAL 22,08%
DAN 37,63%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,570 Posts
Kim fans in here should remember that she refuses to pay too much attention to rankings, so I dont think we should get our knickers in too much of a twist about them. That said, I am a Kim fan too and I would love to see her at No 1 for a while. If the consistency she has shown over the last 8 months continues I think she would be a deserved number 1.

Those critics in here who say that she's only close to the top cos she plays a lot of tournaments should remember too, though, that this year she has reached at least the semi finals of every tournament she has played and has won three of them. Therefore, she is displaying supremely consitent quality as well as quantity and hats off to her for that.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,640 Posts
fifiricci said:
Kim fans in here should remember that she refuses to pay too much attention to rankings, so I dont think we should get our knickers in too much of a twist about them. That said, I am a Kim fan too and I would love to see her at No 1 for a while. If the consistency she has shown over the last 8 months continues I think she would be a deserved number 1.

Those critics in here who say that she's only close to the top cos she plays a lot of tournaments should remember too, though, that this year she has reached at least the semi finals of every tournament she has played and has won three of them. Therefore, she is displaying supremely consitent quality as well as quantity and hats off to her for that.

:cool:

Kim had a great season already I'm not gonna minimize that :) But as I said before I'm thinking from the strenght of a player not off the weakness, quick loss from another :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Kim has been playing consistently great this year. The clay season is a great time for Kim and Justine to close that gap. However, with Serena's 2nd loss of the year, I fear Serena is going to kick back into her "I'm not going to lose - no mercy anymore" policy. Serena is just that good - when she feels like winning, she will. It would be *GREAT* if Kim were ranked #1, but more importantly, I want her to play well, to WIN against the Williams (rather than having them lose to someone else beforehand), to stay as consistently at the top of her game as possible. Everyone has a slump: Kim had one last year, and it is so refreshing to see this level of play from her this year. Keep it up, Kim!! One day...she's getting there, but there's still quite a while before I would say she's "comfortable" in handling the Williams, or Capriati, for that matter, or Justine on clay.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fleemke³

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,097 Posts
I prefer a Slam to the number 1 ranking. But winning a Slam will surely help to get at number 1.
GO KIM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
If Kim gets to #1 without winning a Slam (it's possible) then you can imagine what people will say. She needs to win a Slam and the ranking will follow. :) I think she's perfectly capable of winning the French and I hope she does. :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Kim is entering tournaments and winning them, not just enter and withdraw or lose.

Come on Kim, get to the top. Thats where you belong now.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top