Tennis Forum banner

261 - 280 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,797 Posts
I do think it’s a bit naive to say this us a non issue though? All sports are pretty dependent on viewer interest in order to sustain themselves. If every Grand Slam ends up looking like the French Open (which to be fair I don’t think will happen) I do think that could have an effect on the commercial viability of the tour which obviously wouldn’t be a good thing for players or, in the long run, viewers. None of this is really a comment on the type of tennis they play or whether or not these players are “worthy” of attention.
I'm not naive. I don't think that a womens tour full of surprises attracts less viewers. I think the WTA has a great field and is entertaining as it is. If it works for me, it can work for everybody. The role of the media is important here: they have to show genuine passion and get the people know more about this field. The womens tour is special. We just need "good media", not a mainstream dictat obsessed with audimat that always takes a misguided path when it comes to quality entertainment.

The other problem being, on this forum and elsewhere, that most discussions are only complaints from people pretending to care. I'm not sure they care that much. Suffice to read the percentage of negative comments towards the quality of the game itself. Too much trolls out there.

Reactions: wta420

·
Registered
116,007 Posts
It is strange to see how the level of these important slam matches have dropped
This first semi could have been a routine round 1, out on court 14 in front of 20 people
But for the players, its a great opportunity
This has to be one of Serena's worst losses. This half is a soft 250

Reactions: Arsenic and MLF4

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
It is strange to see how the level of these important slam matches have dropped
This first semi could have been a routine round 1, out on court 14 in front of 20 people

But for the players, its a great opportunity
This has to be one of Serena's worst losses. This half is a soft 250
This is exactly what I thought. To make things even worse the winner of the first SF have less personality than a loaf of bread. She didn't celebrate her win.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Didn't the ATP just have a Hurkacz-Sinner Miami final? I don't think Barty, Sabalenka or Osaka did much worse than Tsitsipas, Zverev or Medvedev tbh (except for this major obviously!) in terms of deep runs in big tournaments this season.
Big 3 skipped Miami.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Query whether we’d have more consistency if the women also had to play best of 3 at slams. On the men’s side, this has been a huge factor in the big three dominance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Genuinely curious as to whether the current inconsistency amongst the top WTA players is down to changes in court speeds, racquet technology etc making the sport more about power and less about skill and therefore having an equalising effect amongst the top players where on any given Sunday anyone can beat anyone else or if I'm overthinking it and this is just a weak era with players who can't realise their talent.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The tour in general never been that good and it's going to be better.

The Under 25 at the start of the year, player born in 1996 and above took the control of the tour in the summer 2018 an started to win most of the big titles last year. They are on a run of 8/9 on slam and this year they are winning more than 70% of the title and won all the big titles(OA,Miami,Rome,Madrid).

The depth in this group is impressive even if some of them looked ahead but not enough to win if they're not at their best and another one peak, for example Andreescu against Zidansek.

The tour is not in crisis because the level in general never been that good and we really have some amazing talented player that coming to add some "star" to sell for the public.

Then you've got the Over 25, the generation between Serena and that new gen and it's true that's its not the best one but we are in transition situation from a not so good era to an exciting one.

I already said it before they started to win a lot but with that depth of quality and the fact that some players are better on clay, other on grass and other on hard court, I can't see just few players dominating the tour.

the future of the WTA is bright.
And this transition involves Krejcikova, Sakkari, or Pavlyuchenkova (none of whom were born in 1996 or after), winning a Slam title? Mmkay.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
And this transition involves Krejcikova, Sakkari, or Pavlyuchenkova (none of whom were born in 1996 or after), winning a Slam title? Mmkay.
Don't bother. Some fans just don't get it.

Reactions: STRONG-ERA

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Andreescu had the covid problem that didn't allow her to prepare and then had to play Zidansek on fire,Barty get injuried. and Osaka withdrew.

Still they were 5 palyers in QF but Swiatek and Gauff are still young and lack experience,Zidansek couldn't sustain her level that allowed her to beat Andreescu and Badosa in SF for her breakthrough tournament and Rybakina isn't a clay court player.

So yeah in this transition good players can take advantage of that and win a slam but 8/10 Slam and Miami, Rome, Madrid,Australian Open this year ,I think it's ok.;)

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
39,981 Posts
Itś only Roland Garros

And Pavs and Sakkari are estabilished players... what can they do if the higher ranked ones flops left and right?
In fact they have taken them out and followed up upon it, Zidansek as well. Barty and Osaka’s problems are not their fault.

But yeah, the women’s tour lacks compelling rivalries. That’s the main problem.

Reactions: Perun and danieln1

·
La nuit je mens
89,858 Posts
Problem is that the WTA, unfairly or not, will always be compared to the ATP. And right now, the WTA can't do anything against the big 3. In the early 00s, there was a period where the WTA with Davenport, Hingis, Serena, Venus, the young Belgians coming, Kournikova was viewed as more interesting that the transition ATP era of Kuerten/Norman/Hewitt/Kafelnikov/Costa with aging Agassi and Sampras. It didn't last long (probably 1999-2005 when Nadal emerged while Venus, Serena, Kim and Justine began to have struggles with injuries and were never at their top at the same time).
So the WTA is able to do as good or better.
But right now, you can't do anything. And after the Big 3, it doesn't look like the ATP will become a random mess with Tsitsipas, Medvedev and Zverev being more and more consistent slams after slams. They already have a clear and established succession.
Meanwhile, on the WTA, everything is blury. You don't know which young talent will win more Slams cause they're so up and down. You can't even be sure that top players will be in the R3 of a Slam which would be unthinkable on the men's side. Like, when was the last time an ATP Slam draw collapsed ? Australian Open 2002 ?

·
Art & Futures
21,957 Posts
i wonder if they can use this competitiveness to their advantage for marketing

·
La nuit je mens
89,858 Posts
Selling 25 products at the same time is never going to be a good marketing strategy. Big 3, NextGen. Those terms are good marketing. They're used by everyone now. WTA has nothing.

Reactions: NeonGrips

·
Registered
55 Posts
Selling 25 products at the same time is never going to be a good marketing strategy. Big 3, NextGen. Those terms are good marketing. They're used by everyone now. WTA has nothing.
The ATP also has the emergence of a new rivalry between Tsitsipas and Medvedev. Tsitsipas as the protagonist & Medvedev as the villain. And they genuinely dislike each other which makes it all the better.

There are no real compelling characters, rivalries or storylines in the WTA at the moment....

261 - 280 of 334 Posts