Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
116,007 Posts
Since any worthless mug can make a slam semi, thats good. It means prizemoney is spread around
16 different players made the last 2 slam final 8, and doesnt inclode Muguruza, Andreescu, Kvitova, Pliskova, Kenin, Svitolina, Kudermetova, Mertens, Bertens, Kuznetsova, Stephens, Keys, Jabeur
So a lot of players getting paid
The bad part is the wta is probably broke without China money, but they could talk to Pegula's parents and get a loan

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This idea that the unpredictability is the new norm that makes tennis more attractive to the general public is truly the biggest farse i have ever read on here lmao.

No casual person would turn the TV on, run over into a tennis match and stay watching it if the players they see are complete strangers to them. The importance of having a batch of consistent stars is that they eventually become known by people who don't even follow tennis regularly but would watch a match involving a current interesting rivalry because they have heard about it somewhere, generally in the media. If they see the likes of ZIDANSEK or any random girl peaking on a given week on TV they are just gonna think who tf is this? and change the channel and watch something else. It's really as simple as that :(
I dont know casual person who would watch tennis no matter who is playing. That construct of “casual person” is really odd to me. Only time casual person watch sport is if it is tied to national success.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The tour in general never been that good and it's going to be better.

The Under 25 at the start of the year, player born in 1996 and above took the control of the tour in the summer 2018 an started to win most of the big titles last year. They are on a run of 8/9 on slam and this year they are winning more than 70% of the title and won all the big titles(OA,Miami,Rome,Madrid).

The depth in this group is impressive even if some of them looked ahead but not enough to win if they're not at their best and another one peak, for example Andreescu against Zidansek.

The tour is not in crisis because the level in general never been that good and we really have some amazing talented player that coming to add some "star" to sell for the public.

Then you've got the Over 25, the generation between Serena and that new gen and it's true that's its not the best one but we are in transition situation from a not so good era to an exciting one.

I already said it before they started to win a lot but with that depth of quality and the fact that some players are better on clay, other on grass and other on hard court, I can't see just few players dominating the tour.

the future of the WTA is bright.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I dont know casual person who would watch tennis no matter who is playing. That construct of “casual person” is really odd to me. Only time casual person watch sport is if it is tied to national success.
Maybe in the seventies and eighties when there were only a few channels on tv and wimbledon was still a big event on most national networks.

·
Premium Member
44,797 Posts
Yep, people who speak about "casual persons" simply invent them. It's part of a marketing narrative to sell star power. I can easily imagine any person who is not into tennis discovering this sport with any player if that person gets a taste for this sport. If that person only watches a tennis match because of a player they're told about from the media, they won't watch the sport for what it is, they'll get into it differently, like people who play video games. You already have those video games with animated star players. That's not going to what's real. That's fake and it doesn't even hide from being fake. That's the circus star power brings to, and aims at by totally denying a reality that wouldn't fit their narrative or fantasies. The unexpectable doesn't fit what they expect. They speak of random champions when those champions simply won real matches. What a pathetic world this world has turned into. 🤡

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It´s clearly not the best era, but take a look back and you´ll see the WTA has been full of random winners the last like 10 years, yea, players like Serena made extensive use of that weakness when she could but this will change little for the coming months, we can only hope that the new crop can keep healthy to make WTA interesting

Reactions: preap

·
Registered
88,335 Posts
Isn't that a good thing? A player who thinks of tennis 24/7/365. Dedication.
No. A really champion has to think, eat and sleep with tennis. 24/7...Boris said that many times

·
Registered
76 Posts
It wouldn't be a problem if we knew Sakkari etc were going to start making deep runs consistently from now on but we all know she'll be out in Round 1 of Wimbledon and Round 3 of the USO probably losing to players ranked 100-200.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Whoever knows a thing about tennis knows it's not only about skills. It's a lot of things going on with skills. A lot of skillful players don't make a career.

The ranking, with its current system (perfect or not), simply reflects the reality of the competition. There is no way to complain about that reality when you're into sports or a sport you especially like.
I'm not complaining about the ranking, and I well agree the ranking is an indicator.

The fact I'm complaining about is that most WTA players are not consistent. They win/have deep runs some day, flop the other day, with too many disappearing after a single great run.

"Free spirits" (those who aren't sold to what is sold, like you if I hear your stances) who like tennis will stay connected. Free spirits who don't care of tennis won't stay connected. It's perfect that way.

If what brings more money to the sport of tennis comes from people who don't care of tennis but only to a narrative that is sold to them, then that sport doesn't need such money. You should only gain what you deserve, the healthiest way as possible. Then you get to a perfect world, and not one you end to blame with celebs and all that shit.
So, you're battling against the mainstream. Fine. But then, don't complain if some people will increasingly ask for non-equal prize money (making it related to broadcasting rights, viewership ratings, ticketing revenues....). Or if this slowly turn back into amateurs.

As for celebs fame... that'll be where the most money will come from, if the interest for the sport (not the good looks) dwindles. Players will keep seeking money. Don't complain if tomorrow's tennis "stars" are more concerned with Instagram pictures, luxuries shopping and gossip on their relationships, than with their tennis level.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It wouldn't be a problem if we knew Sakkari etc were going to start making deep runs consistently from now on but we all know she'll be out in Round 1 of Wimbledon and Round 3 of the USO probably losing to players ranked 100-200.
That's a clay tournament if you take the 4 SF, 3 of them are clay court players with good movement on clay and topspin forehand.

You don't win on grass with topsin forehand and sliding defense.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No. WTA is just way more competitive than ATP hence more different winners/ more depth in the field.

The simple reason is that for women in most countries tennis is the ONLY sport where they can earn such big money so more parents decide to opt for tennis as a sport for their baby girls. While for men there's so many other more promising options: football in all countries bar USA and in the USA baseball, American football, basketball, hockey, etc. It's much more likely to earn millions opting for a footballer career than a tennis career.

Reactions: Katerina

·
Registered
88,335 Posts
No. WTA is just way more competitive than ATP hence more different winners/ more depth in the field.

The simple reason is that for women in most countries tennis is the ONLY sport where they can earn such big money so more parents decide to opt for tennis as a sport for their baby girls. While for men there's so many other more promising options: football in all countries bar USA and in the USA baseball, American football, basketball, hockey, etc. It's much more likely to earn millions opting for a footballer career than a tennis career.
😂 😂 😂

Reactions: larryd and OnyxRose

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm actually happy that we don't see the same names winning slams and tbf I don't know why that's an issue
I agree that you don’t know want complete predictability (like with the men). HOWEVER, I think the randomness of the WTA prevents good rivalries and storylines from developing and ultimately that makes everything less interesting to me. It’s no fun seeing a player have a breakthrough tournament and then go AWOL for the next several months or even year. It’s no fun to never really get matchups between premier players. Upsets are fun to add some spice and excitement every once in a while but when EVERY grand slam half the seeds are completely decimated by the second week, that becomes predictable in it own way. Finally in all due respect to the seminfinalists who earned their way there and deserve what they’ve got, I can’t imagine any of them are going to bring in viewers or generate any kind of interest for the WTA.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Stopped reading there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If anyone thinks the WTA can seriously continue like this, whilst offering the same prize money as men in the Slams despite pretty much no one being interested in it I would say they are deluded.

With China pretty much bailing on the WTA, ratings falling (and I cannot imagine the ratings for these Semis will be high), the pandemic, I would say the prize money will be reduced a lot for the women soon. It might be good because then we might see the WTA become more competitive with players taking the tour seriously.

When 2 of your biggest up and coming stars (Andreescu and Osaka) treat the tour like a part time but of fun there's issues.

·
Premium Member
44,797 Posts
The fact I'm complaining about is that most WTA players are not consistent. They win/have deep runs some day, flop the other day, with too many disappearing after a single great run.
Then why do we see regularly half of the same players year after year at the YEC? There is a natural evolution, some come, some go, but consistency is there. The mistake is to compare that consistency to the mens tour. And to look for the same narrative to make it entertaining. It's easy to understand the womens tour when you follow it. Easy to understand all kinds of differences between both sports. Male players are happy to have a wife to make babies while they keep on their career. Women aren't allowed to lose 2 sets in slam matches. Athleticism is vastly different. Etc.

·
Premium Member
44,797 Posts
Finally in all due respect to the seminfinalists who earned their way there and deserve what they’ve got, I can’t imagine any of them are going to bring in viewers or generate any kind of interest for the WTA.
Which is absolutely your own problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which is absolutely your own problem.
I didn’t say I wouldn’t watch (I am). I’m talking about how generally the low profile of these players probably isn’t great for ratings which is not “my own problem” but really a potential problem for the tour as a whole.

·
Premium Member
44,797 Posts
I didn’t say I wouldn’t watch (I am). I’m talking about how generally the low profile of these players probably isn’t great for ratings which is not “my own problem” but really a potential problem for the tour as a whole.
But since there are always going to be low profiles before one gets to know more of them, I'm not sure we always have to care of the ratings you talk about. I'm not sure you rate any kind of enjoyment when you only care about massive audience. To be clear, it is not a real problem.

Nastya and Tamara play super lovely tennis right now and the crowd enjoys it (and it is entertaining for whoever is watching)

·
Registered
10 Posts
But since there are always going to be low profiles before one gets to know more of them, I'm not sure we always have to care of the ratings you talk about. I'm not sure you rate any kind of enjoyment when you only care about massive audience. To be clear, it is not a real problem.

Nastya and Tamara play super lovely tennis right now and the crowd enjoys it (and it is entertaining for whoever is watching)
Sure, over time players can obviously develop a higher profile as they more consistently get good results. Zidansek and Sakkari in particular are young and I’m sure will do a lot more in the future, and Krejicekova has established herself as a good singles player at this point. I do think it’s a bit naive to say this us a non issue though? All sports are pretty dependent on viewer interest in order to sustain themselves. If every Grand Slam ends up looking like the French Open (which to be fair I don’t think will happen) I do think that could have an effect on the commercial viability of the tour which obviously wouldn’t be a good thing for players or, in the long run, viewers. None of this is really a comment on the type of tennis they play or whether or not these players are “worthy” of attention.

241 - 260 of 334 Posts