Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WTA is having too many players injured too often, something is obviously wrong.

The list is long, just off the top of my head:
Venus, Serena, Jennifer, Chanda, Monica, Stevenson, Anna

Dechy was injured and missed several tournaments.

Lina, Petrova and Medina Garrigues suffered nearly career threatening injuries, Lina and Anabel are still very far from the level they had before their injuries, one and a half years ago.

Elena Dementieva has been injured a big part of the year.

Dokic got injured continously last year.

Hantuchova is not technically injured, but she is obviously not well.

The list goes on and on.

Obviously not all injuries are because of the same reason, but the number and frequency of injuries, without looking for a particular case, is alarming.

Reasons?

Too many tournaments on hardcourt (and notice Justine just won a hardcourt tournament, so I am not trying to favour her), this includes not only outdoor events but all indoor events as well.

many players get injured during a clay or grass tournament, but in many cases, the injury is a consequence of a gradual deterioration of the body for playing on hardcourts and it only reaches a break point later.

ridiculous schedules, and this does not apply to the players under 18, but to many of the older and more experienced ones, including Kim, Davenport and Monica.

Players getting back before healing properly.

How could players like Navratilova play so many events, including doubles without getting injured?

The game has changed and is more demanding on the body but also, there were more clay and grass events and less on hardcourt.

Surely the game is more demanding on the body now, but for that reason, players should be more concious of the risks.

I think the WTA needs to:

1) have less events on hardcourt, and certainly, not 6 big tournaments in a row on that surface (from Stanford to US Open).
2) take measures to make the players, especially the top players play less (not 12 tournaments a year, but a top players should play between 15 and 18 events).
3) Establish rules for the players to come back from injuries, like having clearance by a WTA doctor before they can play.

Not only this is bad by itself, it's awful when a player gets injured, but it's also hurting the sport badly. the last 4 tournaments (including the upcoming Canadian Open) have had/ will have weaker draws than they used to have because of that, the US Open will be seriously hurt although they can cope with it being a GS.

The age eligilibility rule is NOT preventing players from getting continously injured or burned out, it's only delaying it until they turn 18, they need to analyze the situation and do something fast.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
WTA is about money so naturally it is up to the individual player to police their own bodies and health.

p.s. Fingon you forgot about Martina Hingis in your injury list.

Seriously though anyone with half a brain can tell you that the WTA tour will tear a body down. (sure many players will get injured anyway even if they decrease their schedule because age and game type plays a factor) One still has to monitor the body though and use sound judgement because the WTA tour is about money.

it's not all about the hardcourts either.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
I agree. Hardcourts are a big big issue. The Year-End Championship is still indoors, but they need to get with the program and put it back on Carpet. Since people aren't going to the LA tournaments in August or November, eliminate the August one, make Stanford a week later, make Wimbledon a week later as people have always complained about the grasscourt season being too short. Then its time to get some of the spring events off hardcourt. Obviously Indian Wells and Miami are not changing, but the tournaments leading up could change surface.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
If you took away 6 hardcourt tourneys and made them another surface it wouldn't matter.

tennis is about MONEY and they are adding tourneys for a reason.

This is like asking the baseball and football and NBA to decrease their schedules because a few players are on the injured reserve list. Stop thinking that tennis is above other sports. It is about money.

The players have the only option and that is too POLICE themselves or face the consequences.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Incidentally, how is it that the Williams play so few events and still manage to get all sorts of leg/knee/foot injuries. I don't suppose it is because their schedules are more weighted towards Hardcourts than anyone else on tour.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
The Williams have a power game and they are athletes. Tennis is a physical sport.

How does Mark Mcguire, Hershal Walker,Kim Zemeskal,Sherly Swoops,Emitt Smith get injured when they don't play on hardcourts?

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
The Williams have a power game and they are athletes. Tennis is a physical sport.

How does Mark Mcguire, Hershal Walker,Kim Zemeskal,Sherly Swoops,Emitt Smith get injured when they don't play on hardcourts?
For the theater of the asinine, I'll play.

Mark McGwire (this is the correct spelling) injured his shoulders hitting baseballs 500 feet for 15 years.

Herschel Walker (this is the correct spelling) and Emmitt Smith (this is the correct spelling) play on Astroturf. Essentially a paper thin green carpet over a few feet of concrete. And 300 pound guys crush them to this surface 500 times a year.

Sheryl Swoopes (this is the correct spelling) I can't comment on as I am not familiar with her injuries. However, basketball is a very different game from tennis. As are baseball and football, but I assumed you knew that.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
The Williams have proven that it is not the long season that causes injury- They play very little yet are injured
Hingis has proven that it is not the power game that causes injury- hers wasn't yet she has suffered a career ending injury. Include rubin here too.
Dokic has proven too that playing alot causes injury.
Amelie plays moderately 15-17 per season yet is more injury prone that anyone else.
It cannot be age coz Martinez and Coetzer are have been relatively healthy. Seles on the other hand has had a long career and is forever injured.
Anna k, God alone knows why, it is not her game, no. of matches, age .. Put Alex in this category too.

Anyone can be injured for any reason.

Sports being physical makes injuries a natural part of it. Injuries will occur but players will recover eventually and learn to adapt. Billy Jean had three knee operations but had a successful career.
Seriously, there is no need for anyone to play all the hardcout tournys. Kim could stop today and still be ready for the USO. The first week is warm up for her anyway.
Fans ands players will just have to learn to cope with injury.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Dawn Marie:

Emmitt Smith played the majority of his games on an artificial field at Texas Stadium which is more or less carpet laid over concrete. Never mind that Smith (and Herschel Walker) play a contact sport!

It's fairly widely believed amongst professional athletes (who have had to play on the stuff!) that the very hard, unforgiving artificial turf of Veterans' Stadium in Philadelphia has helped lead to more repetitive stress-type injuries.

Disposable Hero:

Is it possible that players like the Williams sisters spent so much of their formative years practicing on the unforgiving asphalt that is a hardcourt surface (be it plexipave, decoturf, or whathaveyou).

I do think the injury bug could be alleviated (but not completely done away with!) if the spring hardcourts were all converted to green clay events. I heard Pam and MJ mention that they have clay courts at the Home Depot Center where this past week's tournament was played; this would make it possible to get a green clay event in California.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
disposable, tennis is a physical sport and I know that the increase in injuries are not due to many hardcourts.

If they took all the hardcourts away from the WTA tour and replaced them with other surfaces.. YOU WILL STILL FIND PLAYERS INJURED.

Venus has been playing since 1994 and yet you're questioning her injuries, and yet refering too the players I mention and HOW LONG they played their sport? Why is Venus and Serena any different?

The fact is not abut the hardcourts? the fact is that tennis is alot more physical on the body. If you took 5 hardcourts and replaced each one with grass,rubber and clay you'll find many injuries still.

Lmao.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ballbuster said:
That's not a good enough argument for shortening the Hardcourt season. Most of those upper level players you named weren't injured on Hardcourts.
yes, but as I stated before, injuries are not always a consequence of ONE incident. I am not talking about Justine's injury at Rosmalen or Stanford last year, or Lina or Medina Garriegues at the Australian Open, they were accidents.

but take Serena's injury for example, she didn't get injured in Wimbledon (the last tournament she played), it's a long term injury caused but a continous preasure on her body, it's not that the players just get injured straight away, their body is deteriorating progressively, and mostly on hardcourt events.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Disposable Hero:

I've heard the theory that female basketball players get a disproportionate number of ACL injuries (compared to male basketball players) because women's wider hips causes the knee ligaments to be at a more severe angle. I don't know if this would actually be a cause for more ACL injuries for women, and to be honest, I don't even know what Swoopes' injury is.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Dawn Marie wrote:
If they took all the hardcourts away from the WTA tour and replaced them with other surfaces.. YOU WILL STILL FIND PLAYERS INJURED
If you took all the hardcourts away and replaced them with natural surfaces like red/green clay and grass, would tennis players suffer lower injury rates? Some players would get injured, but would it be as many (and as many top players) as currently?

I think part of it may be the surface, but part of it is also the switch from the divisor rankings.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
note: I used the above sports players to state a point.

That most sports are physical and many players will get hurt. The NBA and MLB AND NFL are not going to start decreasing their games due to increase in injury. The WTA will not change surfaces nor will they decrease the # of tourneys.

TENNIS IS A ABOUT MONEY, the players know that the WTA will not do anything in favor of their bodies. It was the WTA that added MORE tourneys.

Lol.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tennnisfannn said:
The Williams have proven that it is not the long season that causes injury- They play very little yet are injured
Hingis has proven that it is not the power game that causes injury- hers wasn't yet she has suffered a career ending injury. Include rubin here too.
not, they have proven that they are both. The Williams didn't get injured because of a long seasons but because of the power game, Hingis because of the long season. You don't have to have ALL the factors
Dokic has proven too that playing alot causes injury.
see above
Amelie plays moderately 15-17 per season yet is more injury prone that anyone else.
I disagree, she isn't more injured prone than anyone else, look at Anna, Davenport.
It cannot be age coz Martinez and Coetzer are have been relatively healthy. Seles on the other hand has had a long career and is forever injured.
Martinez always took it easy, she plays a somehow soft game. Amanda is probably the fittest player on tour, a good example and maybe other players should follow her example, Justine comes to mind, she used to get injured a lot but since 2001, she rarely has been injured except for those freaky accidents, Kim is another good example. And I know Venus and Serena are fit, but they demand a lot to their bodies.
Anna k, God alone knows why, it is not her game, no. of matches, age ..
injuries not completely healed
Put Alex in this category too.
bad condition
Anyone can be injured for any reason.

Sports being physical makes injuries a natural part of it. Injuries will occur but players will recover eventually and learn to adapt. Billy Jean had three knee operations but had a successful career.
Seriously, there is no need for anyone to play all the hardcout tournys. Kim could stop today and still be ready for the USO. The first week is warm up for her anyway.
Fans ands players will just have to learn to cope with injury.
I don't think a good answer is to say "just cope with it", that's an easy answer and doesn't address a problem that obviously exists.

Having such a high number of players injured is NOT normal, and I don't care what happens in other sports, tennis didn't use to be like this, something is obviously very wrong.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Ted of Teds Tennis said:
Dawn Marie wrote:

If you took all the hardcourts away and replaced them with natural surfaces like red/green clay and grass, would tennis players suffer lower injury rates? Some players would get injured, but would it be as many (and as many top players) as currently?

I think part of it may be the surface, but part of it is also the switch from the divisor rankings.
Yes, to explain this to Dawn further:

If they took away tackling and astroturf, pro football players would still get injured. But the RATE of injury would be reduced.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dawn Marie said:
note: I used the above sports players to state a point.

That most sports are physical and many players will get hurt. The NBA and MLB AND NFL are not going to start decreasing their games due to increase in injury. The WTA will not change surfaces nor will they decrease the # of tourneys.

TENNIS IS A ABOUT MONEY, the players know that the WTA will not do anything in favor of their bodies. It was the WTA that added MORE tourneys.

Lol.

Dawn, you are right, but the WTA is losing money because of this.

I may not be a fan of Serena, Venus or Jennifer, but they bring spectators, and ratings = money.

And there is a good example in the NBA. I am only a casual fan and don't follow much, but I do remember what happened with Vince Carter.

He is by far the best player the Raptors have. He's been sidelined by injuries in the last two seasons and the Raptors have been having a terrible performance.

When Carter was fit enough to play, the season was well advanced and the Raptors had very little chance to make the playoffs, and certainly, Carter was they best bet for that.

But the doctors said that he could only play for a limited time each game, no matter how the game was going, the coach could only use Carter up to the limit the doctors impossed, and they did. Maybe they wouldn't have made the playoffs with Carter playing more, but they didn't take the risk, they lost money but in the long run, risking a more severe injury in Carter would have costed them a lot more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.