Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Plain and simply put.....the YEC needs to be in a city with economic value and tennis history.
Swap out the word "history" with "interest" and I'd be with you 100%. Honestly, I like the idea of growing the sport in new areas: the idea that tennis (both players and big tournament) should be sourced from the "old guard" is a bit antiquated*. The more top players we can get from all around the world, the better the sport will be.

With that being said, there should be some measure of interest before we award the YEC to just anyone - people have to actually want to come to the matches. Otherwise, you get the shitshow we've seen all week: crowds at 20-50% capacity to watch a bunch of players who, at least in this location, aren't very compelling.

The above brings up another problem: the players featured aren't exactly a big draw outside of their home countries. I've watched a lot of WTA matches this year, and people haven't been kicking down the doors to watch any of these players. Barren center courts for these top players have been more of the rule than the exception. I'm not sure how that issue is going to be resolved.

*Not that I'm accusing you of saying that

·
Registered
31,248 Posts

They can brag about the prize money all they want but the WTA has never been so invisible and the players so underserving of such large sums. I mean, the only media outlets covering this are WTA Insider and JJLovesTennis.

The ATP Next Gen Finals between De Minaur and Sinner will probably get more press coverage than this $4.725 millions historic showdown. :spit: What's the point?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The above brings up another problem: the players featured aren't exactly a big draw outside of their home countries. I've watched a lot of WTA matches this year, and people haven't been kicking down the doors to watch any of these players. Barren center courts for these top players have been more of the rule than the exception. I'm not sure how that issue is going to be resolved.
I'm so happy that Auckland is one city that you can name as an exception every single year. I don't think I've seen any finals there in the last 10 years that haven't been sold out (of course, there will always be odd empty seats where the ticketholders got sick or had something else prevent them from showing up). It's also one of the very few that sells out semi-finals and, quite often, quarter-finals as well.

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
They play a match today where the winner gets over $4M for this week. With no ATP, so we dont have to hear the CEO of Indian Wells say the women should get on their knees to Nadal and Federer.
If this isnt the crown jewel of the WTA tour, then what is?

·
Registered
11,425 Posts
I don’t think it’s the lack of star quality in the field or the city as such - the 2 main issues imo are: 1) Surface 2) Injuries - both of which have overshadowed and impacted on what could have been a much more exciting week.

I wish the WTA as a business had a culture of learning from mistakes & previous experiences to try and fix things moving forward rather than just total ignorance to the above. I hate that they settle for less by caring about the money only. If they invested in player health & well being, fan experience and implemented a logical schedule on the right surface they would be winners all round.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I'll always prefer WTA tennis over the ATP, but wow, the two tournaments really were like chalk and cheese throughout. Pretty much everything about them (controversially including the pay cheque).

Atmosphere really does make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I'll always prefer WTA tennis over the ATP, but wow, the two tournaments really were like chalk and cheese throughout. Pretty much everything about them (controversially including the pay cheque).

Atmosphere really does make a huge difference.
The ATP finals at the London O2 has been really successful in its decade-plus run:
The ATP Finals: One Of The Most Lucrative Sports Events
I've always found it weird that despite all its metrics of great success, they couldn't significantly increase the prize money. Which was the main reason Djokovic led a campaign to move it from London. He just got jealous that some Chinese sugar daddies broke the bank to offer prize money far above market value for a WTA tournament. Feels weird to have such a disparity between an ATP and WTA tournament.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That was a great ATP final. The WTA equivalent of that ATP final would have been Osaka vs. Andreescu on a fast court, in a full stadium, at an hour when Europe and North America are awake. That would have been a blockbuster WTA final!

The WTA ladies are bringing the good tennis but the WTA management is not doing their part at all which is shameful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

The ATP finals at the London O2 has been really successful in its decade-plus run:
The ATP Finals: One Of The Most Lucrative Sports Events
I've always found it weird that despite all its metrics of great success, they couldn't significantly increase the prize money. Which was the main reason Djokovic led a campaign to move it from London. He just got jealous that some Chinese sugar daddies broke the bank to offer prize money far above market value for a WTA tournament. Feels weird to have such a disparity between an ATP and WTA tournament.
While it's a shame, in line with the Brimingham downgrading, that the UK's tennis output is declining, I don't have a problem with the ATP Finals moving on, and I'm pleased it's staying in Europe, and it helps that Italian (men's) tennis is currently experiencing a resurgence. It was a great tournament this year, one of the best for a while, but I still think there is a general feeling that it was time to move it on after a long, successful stint, but you are spot on with the prize money. It's been like that for a while and it felt the right amount, just below the slams for the winner, but still more than enough to make it stand out against the rest of the ATP tour and still offer a real incentive for players to make the top 8, but it's absolutely absurd that in comparison, the likes of Bertens vs Svitolina are playing for such obscene inflated figures when it really isn't justified at all - the current women's product certainly doesn't demand it.

Shenzhen was filled with half empty stadiums for more than half of the duration (Mon-Thu) and that was just a 6k arena with no matches before 6.30pm local time, constant withdrawals and retirements, very few standout matches, and more talk about the state of the court than the tennis, whereas in the ATP version there seemed to be a great match and / or a big story literally ever day. I much prefer women's tennis generally, but the ATP year end finals version was so much better.

·
Registered
37,705 Posts
That was a great ATP final. The WTA equivalent of that ATP final would have been Osaka vs. Andreescu on a fast court, in a full stadium, at an hour when Europe and North America are awake. That would have been a blockbuster WTA final!

The WTA ladies are bringing the good tennis but the WTA management is not doing their part at all which is shameful.

No, it wasn't. The less mentally fragile one won. This was a shitfest compared to Andreescu/Osaka.

Reactions: Pierre.

·
Banned
21,982 Posts
I covered the ATP Finals (not on-site) and it was a great tournament mainly because of how fast the court was. You had exciting, powerful tennis with great drama and shot-making. Maybe the folks in Shenzhen should take notice.

·
Registered
903 Posts
No, it wasn't. The less mentally fragile one won. This was a shitfest compared to Andreescu/Osaka.

Well that just goes to show you what a full stadium on a fast court during a prime time slot with good marketing can do!!!

Unfortunately nobody saw Osaka/Andreescu in an empty stadium in Beijing.

·
Banned
21,982 Posts
They play a match today where the winner gets over $4M for this week. With no ATP, so we dont have to hear the CEO of Indian Wells say the women should get on their knees to Nadal and Federer.
If this isnt the crown jewel of the WTA tour, then what is?
A YEC that has stars galore, great theater in the round-robin stage, legends facing off in a do-or-die final round-robin stage match and a fast court that rewards bold, attacking tennis.

Unfortunately, the ladies weren't in London.

·
Registered
31,248 Posts

Andreescu and Osaka are both Slam champions. Every WTA Finals participant had better career highlights than Tsitsipas before today. They all reached a Slam SF but also won PMs or P5s which he never has.

The ATP has brilliantly raised his profile in the last two years. The big problem within the WTA is indeed their mediocre marketing team. They probably have the most anonymous bunch of top players in living memory.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't watch the match. It was a very clean match (Tsitsipas had like 1 unforced error in a set-and-half between the start of the 2nd set and middle of the 3rd set) with plenty of attacking tennis and variety and net play and explosive groundstrokes. Anyone who didn't enjoy it is not a tennis fan - plain and simple. Just a cheerleader of select celebrities that happen to play tennis.

·
Registered
37,705 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't watch the match. It was a very clean match (Tsitsipas had like 1 unforced error in a set-and-half between the start of the 2nd set and middle of the 3rd set) with plenty of attacking tennis and variety and net play and explosive groundstrokes. Anyone who didn't enjoy it is not a tennis fan - plain and simple. Just a cheerleader of select celebrities that happen to play tennis.
I watched the final set and it was exactly that, a matter of who was the less mentally fragile of the two.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I watched the final set and it was exactly that, a matter of who was the less mentally fragile of the two.
There was one break-a-piece in the final set. It's not like they traded 8 breaks as nobody could serve out the match. The better player with braver shot-making won at the end. Trying to make it out as a match of mental muggery and fragility is deliberate mischief or you didn't watch the match.
Feeling the need to put down one tour to elevate the other is childish. As I said earlier, anyone who didn't appreciate the quality of that match can't really be a fan of tennis.

·
Registered
37,705 Posts
There was one break-a-piece in the final set. It's not like they traded 8 breaks as nobody could serve out the match. The better player with braver shot-making won at the end. Trying to make it out as a match of mental muggery and fragility is deliberate mischief or you didn't watch the match.
Feeling the need to put down one tour to elevate the other is childish. As I said earlier, anyone who didn't appreciate the quality of that match can't really be a fan of tennis.
Wow, what an achievement for two men who regularly serve at 200+ kmh. Such mental strength and quality of play.

The fuckboys over at MTF are trying to hype them up in order to preserve the current status quo of men's tennis >>> women's tennis, but the fact of the matter is that these boys (Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, etc.) don't hold a candle to the Big 3, even out-of-shape Nadal still managed to beat Tsitsipas on his worst surface. :spit: Tsitsipas was weak (with his usual 3rd set choking antics, the way he gifted his break advantage was pathetic) and Thiem was weaker (laughable way to gift Tsitsipas what proved to be a decisive advantage in the final set TB), end of the story.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Wow, what an achievement for two men who regularly serve at 200+ kmh. Such mental strength and quality of play.

The fuckboys over at MTF are trying to hype them up in order to preserve the current status quo of men's tennis >>> women's tennis, but the fact of the matter is that these boys (Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, etc.) don't hold a candle to the Big 3, even out-of-shape Nadal still managed to beat Tsitsipas on his worst surface. :spit: Tsitsipas was weak (with his usual 3rd set choking antics, the way he gifted his break advantage was pathetic) and Thiem was weaker (laughable way to gift Tsitsipas what proved to be a decisive advantage in the final set TB), end of the story.
What does their being as good as the Big 3 or not have to do with whether they played a good match? So what if Nadal beat Tsitsipas? Tsitsipas was a guaranteed qualifier after 2 easy wins and had nothing to play for. Thiem also lost to the weakest player in his own group, Berretini, after having beaten Djokovic and Federer. You don't understand how round robins work?
So because Tsitsipas was broken once in the 3rd set yesterday, he was "weak"? How the fuck does any of this make any sense to you?:lol:

The fuckboys over at MTF are trying to hype them up in order to preserve the current status quo of men's tennis >>> women's tennis
So basically, this was your only reason for posting what doesn't make sense: some kind of insecurity that some people might like an ATP match or tournament better than its female counterpart?:rolleyes: If a clean match dominated by winners and offensive play and variety and athleticism between 2 technically gifted players don't appeal to you, I'm curious to know what the hell kind of matches do you then enjoy? Cos it's a real puzzle. Did you need to see maybe some more double faults and moonballs to appeal to your tastes?

141 - 160 of 179 Posts