Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I absolutely hate this "mandatory tournaments" rule. It boils down to slavery. And I'm sorry to say, saying this to black women is a provocation given US history. Having won the last 3 GS tournaments, the WS should have a say and basically tell the wta "Without us, you are nothing, and you know it". The WS started their career long ago. They always have chosen how to handle their career and it fits them that way.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Well they are both very well paid "slaves", much like Prince. Maybe they should change their name to a symbol and write slave on their face. I don't think even Serena has the arrogance to do as you are suggesting and it would show total disrespect to all the other players and any attempts to promote womens tennis outside of the slams.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
I agree with the premise of the thread, but it was uncessary to take a swipe at Henin and Hingis
turning this into race and making comparations between mandatory tournaments and slavery iS whats unecessary. The hingis henin "swipe" is the least of the probs here

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
always being politically correct... Is it a crime to talk about the race issue ?
No it's not when it's relevant, but here it clearly isn't. Every player is being made to play these mandatory tournaments, not just black or minority players. Also tennis isn't just an American sport, so US history really doesn't apply here either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You are so far out of line comparing "mandatory tournaments" to "slavery"! Slavery exists today in some form all over the world...I dare you to ask one of those who are being forced to work against their will if they agree with you that the WS are being treated like slaves.

Why don't you edit your original post and then maybe people will take you seriously.

I absolutely hate this "mandatory tournaments" rule. It boils down to slavery. And I'm sorry to say, saying this to black women is a provocation given US history. Having won the last 3 GS tournaments, the WS should have a say and basically tell the wta "Without us, you are nothing, and you know it". The WS started their career long ago. They always have chosen how to handle their career and it fits them that way. Unlike the burned out Henin or coked Hingis.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Rofl comparing tennis players to slaves. Can I be a slave too? :drool:

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
I agree, the racial angle is over the top.

But, I do not think Venus and Serena should be forced to play IW where they were
really mistreated there.
And I don't know if that is what the thread author was alluding top.

This goes to show, contrary to widespread belief on this forum, that WS fans do not always agree on everything.
In fact, we disagree on many topics.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The fans at RG were really hideous to a number of other players, should they boycott the French because of the jeering they received?

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
^^the thread starter is obviously not reading from the same book as the rest of us, its not just williams sisters fans opposed to his/her views its anyone with half a brain.

if people want to chat and post their views on the IW issue there are plenty of topics on it, but no one in their right mind be man woman, williams fan, ect should be agreeing with the OP and thread starter.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Maybe Prince/Symbol and other over stuffed musical "artists" might agree with the OP but I doubt anyone here would.

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
The fans at RG were really hideous to a number of other players, should they boycott the French because of the jeering they received?
This was racially driven. Very different.

I love how some posters, with no historical perspective of American recent history, jump into serious topic and make cavalier statements.

BTW, Monica Seles boycotted tournaments in Germany after she was stabbed, and the perpetrator received a light sentence.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts