Tennis Forum banner

The Wonder of Rain Delay .....

1K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Elwin. 
#1 · (Edited)
Flashback to 2004.

Suppose there IS no rain delay at the US Open semis.

Davenport runs Kuznetsova off the court, rather than stiffeing up.

Would we view BOTH players in a better light?

Davenport would have won four slams, not three. In the Open Era, that puts you in fairly elite company.
And we wouldn't be constantly expecting Kuznetsova to play like a slam winner. At which point, four years ended in the top ten, nine singles titles and thirteen doubles titles (one slam), starts looking like a hell of a career, not a disappointment.

#14 ·
She beat Lena D. in the final. If that's not an * next to your name in the record book, I don't know what is.

(Who, me still pissy about yesterday? I'm so pissy I'm fixing to accuse the WS of match fixing, that's how pissy I am).

#6 ·
Wasn't Linday injured in that match? Or did the injury occur during the rain delay?

#9 ·
That's one of those things we have yet to get a straight answer about. If she WAS injured, she sure didn't show it until after the rain delay, but she still wasn't double faulting or hitting irregular errors; she was just getting moved from side to side with that big old topspin of Kuznetsova's.

Generally, I think Kuznetsova didn't benefit from winning the US Open so early. She was a top 10 player, would likely have gone up to around #5 with the rest of that season, and wouldn't have to deal with the expectations. I think people still forget that Kuznetsova isn't all that old. 23 isn't young, but she's not exactly staggering with age out there. She's just been around much longer at the top than most of the players around her age (Jankovic, Safina, Zvonareva).

#10 ·
Lindsay would have been the clear favourite against Dementieva in the final, but I don't think it would have been 100% straightforward for her. Elena did actually beat her at the USO the following year.

but yeah, I can't help but think if it didn't rain in either the Wimbledon or USO semis that year :sobbing: Serena would obviously have been a tough match, but Lindsay was 2-0 against her in 2004 and given the way she played against Sharapova, I still look at that as a missed opportunity aswell.

Still, 3-time slam champ, 4-time champ, not much of a difference. Lindsay is still a legend and has many other stuff to be proud of.

#12 ·
Not sure I agree. We should regard SK as having had a pretty solid career anyway, and the GS win is an outlier, a cherry on top. In retrospect we regard her as the start of the Russian invasion.

Among Russians, only Sharapova and Dementieva have higher career prizemoney.

#15 ·
wHAT HAPPENED to Lindsay at the US Open is another example why she's a magnet for bad luck, for lack of a better word. Don't even talk to me about her defeat at '05 Wimbledon final. Jinxed, or not a real champion, I can't make up my mind. If there is a God in tennis it is on Serena's side, not Lindsay's. Just remember the last OA Open. Serena : saved by Azarenka's illness, saved by the roof. And that what just one GS. I'm not even counting all the MP saved in GS, the rain which has helped her many times.
I'm not saying Serena's success in GS is due to sheer luck obviously. But the combination of Serena being "lucky" many times and not peaking in early rounds is mysterious. Like she knows. That is why I love Serena, the spiritual magician.

#18 ·
I'm not even going to reharsh that illness and roof mess, but saving MP is considered LUCKY?

And how many times have Serena been saved by the rain?

I know Venus was once at Wimby with her Ab strain. Serena to me is just a player that never gives up even down match point sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. I don't consider the saving of match points lucky unless the opponent df and or dump the ball into the net. Then again when they do, you can't help but think they were pressured not knowing what to expect for Serena.

Foxy

#16 ·
what if, what if...

Linsay also had chances to win Wimbeldon against Venus a few yrs ago in a close 3 setter, and was close to beating Rena in Aus Open final a few yrs ago too...i forgot the dates but that could have been another two titles for her

yes, she might have been a bit unlucky to have just 3 considering her talent...but, that's just the way it was meant to be and she still rocks ;)

#17 ·
wHAT HAPPENED to Lindsay at the US Open is another example why she's a magnet for bad luck, for lack of a better word. Don't even talk to me about her defeat at '05 Wimbledon final. Jinxed, or not a real champion, I can't make up my mind.

'Jinxed'? :haha::rolls: Or... not as good on grass as Venus. You're only as mystified (or is that 'mystical' :rolleyes:) as you want to be.

I really like Lindsay, but reality check! Lindsay's never beaten Venus on grass, period. She'd already lost a Wimbledon final to Venus before. Lindsay was no more 'jinxed' than Serena, Bartoli, and Justine were when they faced Venus. :rolleyes:

Yes Lindsay has been plenty unlucky and there are so many examples you could point to, but getting beaten by Venus for the 4th time running at Wimbledon? Sorry, nothing to do with "bad luck". :rolleyes:

#25 ·
Wimbledon 07 QF : Krajicek vs. Bartoli

Misa was totally owning Bartoli, but she lost it after a rain break :sobbing:
Misa would have reached the SF is there was no rain break, and maybe even the final cause Justine didn't played well in that SF and Misa was playing the best tennis of her life.

omg :sobbing: :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.