Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the real WTA Tour has awards at the end of the season, so will we. The difference? You guys get to vote! Read the nominees, and then private message me your choices. Winners will be revealed next week.

Player of the Year

Daniela Hantuchova

Hantuchova has the most weeks at #1, with 11. She won 1 title, the Australian Open.

Elena Dementieva
Dementieva has 2 weeks at #1. She has 4 titles, Berlin, French Open, Birmingham, Eastbourne.

Venus Williams
Williams has 1 week at #1. She has three titles, Sydney, San Diego and US Open.

Anna Kournikova
Kournikova has four titles (4 of the last 7 titles), Wimbledon, Canada, Moscow and LA.

New Comer of the Year

Elena Dementieva

Dementieva joined later, and won 4 of her first 5 events.

Tamarine Tanasugarn
Joined in the hard courts, and reached the US Open semis, before winning in Linz.

Jennifer Capriati
Reached the finals of her first event in Linz.

Doubles Team of The Year

Hantuchova/Davenport[/size]
They were #1, until they split. They won the Australian Open, and owned Williams/Williams.

Williams/Williams
Winners in Paris and New York. The only team to win 2 Slams this year.

Players Choice: Nicest Player
Your Choice. Please think of the player who does articles, and is nice after winning and losing.

Singles Match of the Year
Just tell me your choice for match of the year, and the reason why.

Good Luck to All!

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Winners Revealed!

OK guys...winners! You can post pictures and give acceptance speeches!

Player of the Year
Nominations: Hantuchova-V. Williams-Dementieva-Kournikova
and the winner is....

Daniela Hantuchova
Congrats Dani! World's #1 for 11 weeks, more then anyone.

Newcomer of Year
Nominations: Dementieva-Tanasugarn-Capriati
and the winner is....

Elena Dementieva
Congrats to Elena, for winning 4 of your first 5 events played!

Doubles Team of Year
Nominations: Hantuchova/Davenport-Williams/Williams
and the winners are...

Venus Williams/Serena Williams
Congrats to the sisters, the only two to win 2 majors

Players Choice Awards!
Nicest Player on Tour

and the winner is...

Monica Seles

Players' Choice!
Match of Year

and the winner is....

Kournikova def. Hantuchova 6-1 6-1; LA Finals
Not sure why this was choosen...I think people just remember this one (really, 2 people voted for it...everyone else only had 1 vote each :p )

Congrats to all the winners! Post pics!​

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
Daniela Hantuchova phones in from Monte Carlo after hearing the awards announced a few minutes ago:

"*screams* I AM outraged!!! Okay, let me get this straight. The Williams sisters have defeated Lindsay and myself once or whatever and they won doubles team of the year? We defeated them in I believe 3 straight finals and that wasn't taken into account, including the Australian Open finals? This is a travesty, I DEMAND a recount! I, I mean Lindsay and I, deserve the doubles award for being the most dominant team on the WGTA and even without her, I with my new partner, Ashley still defeated the No. 1 ranked doubles team in Linz, pretty handily. What-e-ver! *rolleyes* I will NOT come get my award, have it sent to me! *throws phone across the room*"

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tour director: "I understand Miss Hantuchova's position. However the Williams sisters did win 2 majors, more then anyone else. And some voters didn't read the nominations correctly. Some voted for Hantuchova/Harkleroad....not Hantuchova/Davenport"

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Monica Seles gives her speech at the WGTA Gala Dinner after winning the Player's Choice Award:

"I am extremely flattered and I feel very honored to have won this award. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the players for being so supportive of me and for choosing me. This means a lot to me and I will definitely cherish this award."

"I would also like to congratulate Daniela Hantuchova, Venus and Serena Williams as well as Elena Dementieva for winning their respective awards. They were all deserving winners. I have to add, that I think it's unfair that Anna didn't win an award because she is one of the Tour's premier players in singles as well as in doubles and mixed doubles. She and Andre are the mixed doubles team of the year, in my opinion."

"I love the WGTA and all the players and the Tour director. Once again, let me say, Thank You!"

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
"Thanks to everyone who voted for me and Serena. We will concentrate even more on Doubles next year and try to win the Grand Slam. But this year we had a great year, thanks again to everyone and I'll see you next year!"

~Venus Williams (from her laptop on her way to Aruba)

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
"Lindsay and I were robbed of our award. Those who voted carelessly and blindedly cost us, anyway, like anyone cares, but here are the stats. As everyone can see, the Williams sisters have never beaten us, including losing three straight finals at Melbourne, Berlin then Rome. I don't have the award but I know we, Lindsay and I, are the best when we're both playing. The results show that."

--Miss Hantuchova

Lindsay Davenport(USA)/Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) vs. Serena Williams/Venus Williams(USA)

Canberra:
F Lindsay Davenport/Daniela Hantuchova (1) def. Venus Williams/Serena Williams (2) 4-6 6-1 7-6 (9-7)
Melbourne
F Lindsay Davenport/Daniela Hantuchova (1) def. Venus Williams/Serena Williams 6-2 2-6 6-3
Berlin
F
Lindsay Davenport/Daniela Hantuchova (1) def. Venus Williams/Serena Williams (2) 7-5 4-6 7-5
Rome
F
Lindsay Davenport/Daniela Hantuchova (1) def. Venus Williams/Serena Williams (2) 4-6 6-3 7-5

Lindsay Davenport/Daniela Hantuchova leads 4:0

Hard: Davenport/Hantuchova leads 2:0
Clay: Davenport/Hantuchova leads 2:0
Grass: Tied 0:0
Indoors: Tied 0:0

1 - 20 of 21 Posts