Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While congratulations are in order to Kim for winning the most points in the past 52 weeks and climbing into the number 1 spot, has anyone else stopped to wonder if she is the weakest player to ever hold that position? Consider this, has any other player in WTA history (or even ATP history for that fact) ever obtained that spot without winning a GRAND SLAM title? Or is Kim the first? Does Kim holding the #1 spot dilute the importance or prestige of the spot? Does it remind anyone else of when Martina H. was holding down the same spot for about a year and a half or two years without having won a GS title and the how the media and fans dogged her for it?

While I respect the skills that Kim has displayed over the last 12 months (if not longer) is she really the best right now? Lastly, consider these two facts: of the 9 TITLES Kim is currently holding only her year end championship title was won legitimately beating at least one Williams Sister, of the remaining 8 titles she has none were attended by Serena or Venus. Secondly, How many former #1 have ever had a LOSING record against THREE other current top 10 players?

This thread is just food for thought. It's not to diminish Kim's accomplishments or to "hate" on her. Just looking for other fans INTELLIGENT thoughts or take on the situtation. :)

· Registered
1,066 Posts
:zzz:

· Registered
15,727 Posts
kim likes to do things differently

after all, this is a girl who played tennis tounaments at 16 during her school holidays, so she would have something to do then...

interesting, if you look at it

· I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
Marcelo Rios did it this way too. And as far as the rankings - they are over the last 52 weeks.... not a specific 8 over the last 52 weeks. ALL 52 weeks. Meaning, who is the better player week in and week out on tour - not only 4 times a year.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Bored now.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consider this Seles fan Kim currently has a losing record against Serena, Venus and Jennifer. She is 1-7 lifetime against Serena and has lost to her THREE times this year (Hopman Cup, Australian Open and Miami), 2-5 lifetime against Venus and has lost to her the TWO times that they have played this year (Belgium and Wimbledon) and a 2-3 record against Jennifer. So while she is the number 1 according to the computer rankings (for what is worth) she is DEFINITELY not the best player out there. IMO.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
all been discussed over and over again... just read some other threads started on the board like in the last couple of weeks and you have all your answers spartanfan :zzz:

· Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So much for INTELLIGENT imput. If you're so bored by the topic why respond? Hit a nerve? And if your actually read the first post, this thread is not to diminish KC accomplishments but rather put them in perspective. Hell, Venus had won FOUR (4) Grand Slam titles before she captured the number 1 spot. I guess what I'm looking for (which I can't seems to find on this board) is some dialogue to as what the importance of being #1 is these days? Is it just for WTA marketing? I seriously doubt that any true tennis journalist, analyst or critic would say that Kim is the best player out there. Number one on the computers, but simply not the best.

· Registered
15,727 Posts
I thought this thread was "not to diminish Kim's accomplishments or to "hate" on her." In this case, why do you mention "hit a nerve"

Were you looking to "hit a nerve"? In which case, this thread is not as innocent as you claim it to be.

· Registered
241 Posts
Let's not get it twisted, the Grand Slams aren't the end all and be all of Tennis. There's 52 weeks of tournaments and If the other tournaments weren't that important then the players would only enter the slams and nothing else. Kim busts her but week in and week out playing numerous tournaments and should be applauded for it!

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Why can't people be happy for a girl who has achieved her dream?

We all grow up wanting to do things - win an Oscar, win Wimbledon, whatever - and would any of us want to see people dogging us for achieving that dream?

It's shit like this that makes our world so destructive. Instead of lifting one another and supporting one another, we always have to tear each other down :mad:

Reactions: Lady

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Seles said:
Marcelo Rios did it this way too. And as far as the rankings - they are over the last 52 weeks.... not a specific 8 over the last 52 weeks. ALL 52 weeks. Meaning, who is the better player week in and week out on tour - not only 4 times a year.
Now THIS is what we call: BLA BLA BLA!! Kim´s good, but she isn´t even THAT good over 52 weeks....just happened that she played more than others!!

· Registered
47,657 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Why can't people be happy for a girl who has achieved her dream?

We all grow up wanting to do things - win an Oscar, win Wimbledon, whatever - and would any of us want to see people dogging us for achieving that dream?

It's shit like this that makes our world so destructive. Instead of lifting one another and supporting one another, we always have to tear each other down :mad:
Word! :worship:

· Registered
47,657 Posts
macn said:
Let's not get it twisted, the Grand Slams aren't the end all and be all of Tennis. There's 52 weeks of tournaments and If the other tournaments weren't that important then the players would only enter the slams and nothing else. Kim busts her but week in and week out playing numerous tournaments and should be applauded for it!
Not the end all, but they´re the MOST important. That´s the way it is and there´s where you distinct yourself....which Kim hasn´t done yet.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
bandabou, can you put in another tape ? this makes me so :zzz:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.