Tennis Forum banner

5021 - 5040 of 5047 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Who knows?? Will be the hardest game of the year so far and a brutal test of her actual form, but I believe she can make a good match..

No big expectations and no pressure at all..

Wednesday on Central Court?? ;)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I don't know if i agree about there being no pressure. Maybe generally speaking there isn't any pressure, but obviously the Olympics are very important to Vera and she really wants to better her bronze medal from the 2008 Beijing Olympics there in London, so i honestly wouldn't be surprised if at the least she's putting pressure on herself to do well....

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I am sure there will be pressure, no doubt, but that cannot be new to her. There will also be pressure to Serena, and she is used to it as well. I just think that there is not much to lose for Vera against someone like Serena. If they both play at their best, Serena will be the favorite and she will be expected to win anyway. Does not mean Vera does not want or can win. She is one of the few active players to have beaten Serena on grass. I believe that together with Venus and Masha, she is the only one in this tounament to have achieved that.I just hope both players treat us on a fantastic match and may the best woman win. I can live with that either way, but hope Vera can cause an upset.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am sure there will be pressure, no doubt, but that cannot be new to her. There will also be pressure to Serena, and she is used to it as well. I just think that there is not much to lose for Vera against someone like Serena. If they both play at their best, Serena will be the favorite and she will be expected to win anyway. Does not mean Vera does not want or can win. She is one of the few active players to have beaten Serena on grass. I believe that together with Venus and Masha, she is the only one in this tounament to have achieved that.I just hope both players treat us on a fantastic match and may the best woman win. I can live with that either way, but hope Vera can cause an upset.
I see what you're saying and normally id agree, but being that this is the Olympics we're talking about, ill once again disagree:)p). I think there's plenty to lose for Vera, Serena and every other player. This isn't like other tournaments including and especially the GS tournaments, because with them, there's always next year (as long as you're an active player that is). With the Olympics though, it's only once every 4 years and you got/need to be in top form & the very best you can be when it comes along because there's far fewer chances at Olympic glory than GS glory. And this may be both Vera & Serena's final shot at Olympic singles gold because by the time of the 2016 Olympic Games, if they're still playing, Vera will be 31 (almost 32) & Serena 34 (almost 35). I think there's plenty to lose for the both of them, maybe a bit less for Vera, but still plenty none-the-less.

Though perhaps it depends on how you wanna look at it....

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I see what you're saying and normally id agree, but being that this is the Olympics we're talking about, ill once again disagree:)p). I think there's plenty to lose for Vera, Serena and every other player. This isn't like other tournaments including and especially the GS tournaments, because with them, there's always next year (as long as you're an active player that is). With the Olympics though, it's only once every 4 years and you got/need to be in top form & the very best you can be when it comes along because there's far fewer chances at Olympic glory than GS glory. And this may be both Vera & Serena's final shot at Olympic singles gold because by the time of the 2016 Olympic Games, if they're still playing, Vera will be 31 (almost 32) & Serena 34 (almost 35). I think there's plenty to lose for the both of them, maybe a bit less for Vera, but still plenty none-the-less.

Though perhaps it depends on how you wanna look at it....
Well, probably we look different to it indeed;), and we do not always have to agree. I agree on the fact that for both this might be their last chance to have a go at gold in singles, as for many it will be. To be fair, as the Olympics are a 4-year event, most players get a chance at it twice, 3 max normally in their career. So yes, preassure on that for sure. But not much to lose, I think. Some will say Vera has got her bronze medal to defend, but if loses to Serena, she will still be an Olympic bronze medalist winner. They will never take it away from her. 99.5 % of all players will never achieve that. Losing will be a disappointment, for sure. For all competitors left, only one thing will count, gold. But you can't lose what you don't have.
But it is not about being right, just how to look at it :D. Just hope again for a great match.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Of course there's pressure for both. But I was just analyzing the game alone, not all this scenario behind it, like both of you have described well.. Vera just now is starting to play in her best conditions and will face the best player of the moment..

Hope she make a good match and do her best.. Will be good to see she fighting for the victory, injury free, after this awful year..

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well, probably we look different to it indeed;), and we do not always have to agree. I agree on the fact that for both this might be their last chance to have a go at gold in singles, as for many it will be. To be fair, as the Olympics are a 4-year event, most players get a chance at it twice, 3 max normally in their career. So yes, preassure on that for sure. But not much to lose, I think. Some will say Vera has got her bronze medal to defend, but if loses to Serena, she will still be an Olympic bronze medalist winner. They will never take it away from her. 99.5 % of all players will never achieve that. Losing will be a disappointment, for sure. For all competitors left, only one thing will count, gold. But you can't lose what you don't have.
But it is not about being right, just how to look at it :D. Just hope again for a great match.
Yeah, i suppose so. :)

Still, i hope Vera herself goes into the match with a mentality more like what im talking about, as i think that's cause for greater motivation and the will to excel more so than a "i don't have much to lose" mentality. ;)

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Serena's just too good for everyone! Glad Vera got a game! :hysteric:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Was hoping for a tighter match, but Serena is just too good. Hope Vera can get some games on the board before this is over :sobbing:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That was too much :tape: :sobbing:

I also expected she could make a better match, but this match just showed the difference in the form of this two..

Serena played in a unparallel level.. Unfortunately, she couldn't do much today.. :[

Canada next..

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
All credit to Serena, when you are so much better, you have to show it. As much as I would like Vera to show when possible. Too bad it had to happen to Vera, though :(. I am sure Vera is very disappointed at the moment, but there was nothing to begin against Serena. Now off to North America, have a good US Open series, Vera. We know the Olympics meant a lot to you and for that it is a disappointment, but you lost to one of the greatest of all time, who actually was very good today. At least you showed you are healthy again, let's hope to keep that way going forward.

5021 - 5040 of 5047 Posts