Tennis Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Osaka's dad is Haitian, her mum is Japanese, she plays for Japan, but people want to claim her as American
Reminds me of all the people who tried to claim Sharapova as American just because she has the accent, she is 100 bona fide Russian.

The US used to dominate Tennis back in the day when Tennis was no where near the Global sport that it is today. More competition was bound to mean less success for them.

Most of the tournaments on both tours were held in America back in the day, in the 70's and 80's, much harder to travel in them days and American's had a lot of home comforts and advantages, no doubt preferential treatment as well when it came to scheduling and draws.

But in general they have a huge advantage over every European country individually by sheer numbers, for every one Tennis player Britain can produce, America can produce 5 for example.
Unless these players win grand slams as MUCH as the Serena's, Roger's, Rafa's, and the Novak's of the world, they won't mean much to the average American.

Hell I read somewhere during the U.S Open 2017 when it was an All-American semifinals...tv ratings went DOWN.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Btw not to go down the "our male athletes go play in more lucrative sports" road but an athlete who plays in the NFL (won the Superbowl last year) just extended their contract to the tune of this:

SBR Sports Picks

@SBRSportsPicks

Patrick Mahomes contract breakdown:
10 years: $503 Million

1 year: $50.3 Million

1 Day: $5,742

1 Minute: $96

1 Second: $1.60

Our guy

@PatrickMahomes

just made about $10 in the time you read this...
$477 million gauranteed and with a lot of conditions but still..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Amazing how much money American handball generates when the number of countries that watch it are very very few. Suppose that's the American market for you

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Amazing how much money American handball generates when the number of countries that watch it are very very few. Suppose that's the American market for you
Said team is probably going to build him a statue outside the stadium when it's all said and done. First Superbowl win!

·
Registered
113,561 Posts
Mens tennis is like that. But US has good group of women
In US male athletes can make a lot of money in a lot of sports. But I think having a major guarantees tennis in US will stay successful.
Majors are incredible money makers, and it gets mainstream sports media to pay attention those 2 weeks

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Majors are incredible money makers, and it gets mainstream sports media to pay attention those 2 weeks
True, but we want them to pay attention for the other 44 weeks of the year as well. For that we need more players than just Serena Williams and the "big 3" men.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
This thread is stale lol maybe a few years ago there could be a point but that was before we saw a mounting number of young female players trying to breakthrough. Keys, Stephens, McHale, Davis to Duval, Townsend, to Bellis, Anisimova, Gauff. All have big wins early (though some not panning out now) in the career and each new emerging era seems to be getting better. The all (asian) american junior wimbledon finalists from 2017 are also creeping up in rankings. The cupboard is not bare.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
WTA is just fine for USA. Russians will win for the for a long time + Gauff ofc. ATP is a lost cause because they are as stubborn to use red clay as a primary court for developing young talents as they are about the metric system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ATP is a lost cause because they are as stubborn to use red clay as a primary court for developing young talents
So green clay does not bother young female players but ruins male players? Good one.

The real reason was given above. There are four more financially lucrative team sports for USA boys so best athletes don’t end up in tennis.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So green clay does not bother young female players but ruins male players? Good one.

The real reason was given above. There are four more financially lucrative team sports for USA boys so best athletes don’t end up in tennis.
Women and men tennis are two completely different sports as Serena had stated before. Red clay is a necessity in developing young male tennis players the way the game is played today. In the women side it seems that body types are of greater importance and is the main reason some countries have the advantage (or do Czech men all play other sports as well?).

These sports were around when USA was dominating tennis. I remember it well and I also remember how superior training techniques developed in Europe and the Americans continued with their own. South Americans complied and had imediate results. The only curious case in the ATP side remains Sweden since they have top coaches but not even one relevant top athlete anymore.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
like it or not, I'm pretty sure during the next decade the USA will have constantly 2 or 3 top ten female players.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Europe minus Russia is not EU. Brexit happened so don't count Murray. Wawrinka and Federer are both from Switzerland, which is not a EU member. Djokovic is from Serbia, and Serbia is not in EU. That leaves Nadal. Your argument would have been stronger if you had just said Europe.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure why Europe is lumped together anyway, EU is just a political union and Europe itself has over 50 countries, nearly as many languages if not more to take in external migrants, England has more in common with America than any European country. Nearly all countries wave their own flags, not the EU flag.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts