Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
United States of America, population: 330 million
European Union, population: 445 million

I only say the EU, because it's without Russia.

ATP:
Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Novak Djokovic
Andy Murray
Stan Wawrinka

No American won at Paris since Agassi in 1999.
No American won at Wimbledon since Sampras in 2000.
No American won (HOME) at Flushing Meadows since Sampras in 2000. Update, my memory ain't good: Roddick in 2003
No American won at Melbourne since Agassi in 2003.

20 years of nothing, and I think the only non-European player who won a Slam was Del Potro. Besides Hewitt twice almost also 2 decades ago, and Gaudio in 2004 (French Open). 60 Slams in the last 15 years, only Del Potro, 59 titles went to Europe.

The future-of-the-ATP: Dominic Thiem, Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Alexander Zverev, Matteo Berrettini, Andrey Rublev, Karen Khachanov, Denis Shapovalov and Félix Auger-Aliassime (does not include any American). Taylor Fritz is as good or maybe not even as good as John Isner who was the only top 20 American player in the last years. Shocking to think Fritz is a next big thing like McEnroe talks.2

WTA:
Serena Williams
Venus Williams (almost absent in the last decade)

Victoria Azarenka
Caroline Wozniacki
Agnieszka Radwanska
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Marion Bartoli
Francesca Schiavone
Flavia Pennetta
Jelena Jankovic
Ana Ivanovic
Simona Halep
Petra Kvitova
Karolina Pliskova
Angelique Kerber
Garbine Muguruza
Elina Svitolina
Ashleigh Barty
Naomi Osaka
Bianca Andreescu
Li Na
Sloane Stephens (meteoric)
Jelena Ostapenko (even)

Before everything was American, now the US can't win a Slam anymore. One!

Compared to ATP, dozens of talented American players but with the same story for years. None ends well. About Sloane Stephens I thought she would be the next big thing. Now she doesn't even look like a player. And Sofia Kenin won the Australian Open simply by accident. What will happen when Serena retires?

Besides Madison Keys, who? She may be the future John Isner. Stephens will be soon 28 years old, she dropped big. Knowing her game, she will never come back. Kenin can also do it easily, dropping. Collins has decreased. Townsend, McHale, Davies, Rogers, Gibbs, Glatch, Falconi, Mattek-Sands and Vandeweghe, so many names that haven't made it. Bellis and others preparing. To fail.

It's very poor for such a big and traditional country, Isner and Keys (2 baseball players).

·
Registered
2,324 Posts

ATP:
Felix Fritz is as good or maybe not even as good as John Isner who was the only top 20 American player in the last years...
You mean Taylor Fritz.

Compared to ATP, dozens of talented American players but with the same story for years. None ends well. About Sloane Stephens I thought she would be the next big thing. Now she doesn't even look like a player.
True. Before the Charleston tournament her only win this year had been against Emma Navarro in Mexico, ranked near enough to 500 at the time, and she was utterly unconvincing when beating Eugenie Bouchard in Charleston.
And Sofia Kenin won the Australian Open simply by accident.
No. This one I DON'T agree with. Nobody wins a Grand Slam event "by accident." She played her heart out right through that tournament, and was strong enough to bounce back in situations where she looked beaten. It's not her fault if other players couldn't take advantage of whatever fortune they may have been offered. Unlike most people from her home country, I've always rated her very highly, and I believe that she could win several more majors over the years.
What will happen when Serena retires?
The biggest question of them all.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This thread is so weird.....Roddick, an AMERICAN won the USO in 2003( he was the last to win a Major, not Sampras at the USO or Agassi overall); Some of the biggest WTA names are AMERICAN ( Williams, Gauff); There's been 8 American GS Finalists in the last 3+ seasons ( Stephens x2, Willians x4, Kenin and Keys); There's about 7 AMERICAN woman inside the top 30 (more than any other country), most of whom are younger and have strong possibilities to do well in the future ( Keys, Kenin, Gauff, Anisimova and even Stephens if she wakes up).

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I think Black Panther needs a Covid19 test. A strange thread.

The level of play by American female players & European players is so close. There are great young players from both sides of the water, certainly some good young American players like Gauff & Anisimova, and a few slightly older.

And Kenin DID NOT win the Australian Open by accident. She was the best player over two weeks and won 7 matches in a row, which is something your supposed to do.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I could agree about ATP but not about WTA.
Americans have such amazing players like Kenin (latest grand slam champion), Gauff (won WTA title as a 15 year old), Anisimova (18 yo, reached GS SF last year), Serena Williams (still a GS contender), Keys (can surprise everyone with a big title), Riske (had breakthrough season last year), Brady (has become a consistent TOP 50 player who can surprise everyone), Collins (had some health issues but still a very talented player), Pera, Davis, Townsend and Pegula (all 4 can still make something big in their careers).

I can't see any reason why you should worry about USA tennis future.

Reactions: Kurmay3Katti

·
Registered
25 Posts
This imbalance is much more noticeable on the ATP side. Very true for under 18 boys as well. US WTA is competitive although yes Europe is stronger at the moment.

·
Registered
322 Posts
United States of America, population: 330 million
European Union, population: 445 million

I only say the EU, because it's without Russia.

ATP:
Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Novak Djokovic
Andy Murray
Stan Wawrinka

No American won at Paris since Agassi in 1999.
No American won at Wimbledon since Sampras in 2000.
No American won (HOME) at Flushing Meadows since Sampras in 2000.
No American won at Melbourne since Agassi in 2003.

20 years of nothing, and I think the only non-European player who won a Slam was Del Potro. Besides Hewitt twice almost also 2 decades ago, and Gaudio in 2004 (French Open). 60 Slams in the last 15 years, only Del Potro, 59 titles went to Europe.

The future-of-the-ATP: Dominic Thiem, Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Alexander Zverev, Matteo Berrettini, Andrey Rublev, Karen Khachanov, Denis Shapovalov and Félix Auger-Aliassime (does not include any American). Felix Fritz is as good or maybe not even as good as John Isner who was the only top 20 American player in the last years. Shocking to think Fritz is a next big thing like McEnroe talks.2

WTA:
Serena Williams
Venus Williams (almost absent in the last decade)

Victoria Azarenka
Caroline Wozniacki
Agnieszka Radwanska
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Marion Bartoli
Francesca Schiavone
Flavia Pennetta
Jelena Jankovic
Ana Ivanovic
Simona Halep
Petra Kvitova
Karolina Pliskova
Angelique Kerber
Garbine Muguruza
Elina Svitolina
Ashleigh Barty
Naomi Osaka
Bianca Andreescu
Li Na
Sloane Stephens (meteoric)
Jelena Ostapenko (even)

Before everything was American, now the US can't win a Slam anymore. One!

Compared to ATP, dozens of talented American players but with the same story for years. None ends well. About Sloane Stephens I thought she would be the next big thing. Now she doesn't even look like a player. And Sofia Kenin won the Australian Open simply by accident. What will happen when Serena retires?

Besides Madison Keys, who? She may be the future John Isner. Stephens will be soon 28 years old, she dropped big. Knowing her game, she will never come back. Kenin can also do it easily, dropping. Collins has decreased. Townsend, McHale, Davies, Rogers, Gibbs, Glatch, Falconi, Mattek-Sands and Vandeweghe, so many names that haven't made it. Bellis and others preparing. To fail.

It's very poor for such a big and traditional country, Isner and Keys (2 baseball players).
The EU is not the same as Europe minus Russia. In fact, out of Federer, Murray, Wawrinka, Nadal and Djokovic only one is from an EU country.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Osaka is basically American. Also, tennis is still the best sport for women to play in the USA. Heck, even Osaka / Gauff might inspire a whole new generation of youngsters.

As for ATP...yeah, it's dead.

·
Registered
31,346 Posts
This imbalance is much more noticeable on the ATP side. Very true for under 18 boys as well. US WTA is competitive although yes Europe is stronger at the moment.
The ATP has South Americans, though. They have nine players ranked inside the top 100 + Del Potro who's a big name. The WTA has ... zero South Americans ranked inside the top 100.

I quickly counted and there's probably a few mistakes here an there but there's about 66 Europeans (ATP) and 65 Europeans (WTA) ranked inside the top 100.

Very similar but the WTA's rest of the world is much more successful with Kenin, Andreescu and Osaka winning Slams in the last 18 months plus Serena making four Slam finals since her comeback.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This thread is so weird.....Roddick, an AMERICAN won the USO in 2003( he was the last to win a Major, not Sampras at the USO or Agassi overall); Some of the biggest WTA names are AMERICAN ( Williams, Gauff); There's been 8 American GS Finalists in the last 3+ seasons ( Stephens x2, Willians x4, Kenin and Keys); There's about 7 AMERICAN woman inside the top 30 (more than any other country), most of whom are younger and have strong possibilities to do well in the future ( Keys, Kenin, Gauff, Anisimova and even Stephens if she wakes up).
Ok, so Roddick won the USO in 2003. It's my memory, I thought it was Sampras in 2000 at New York and not Roddick in 2003. Still 17 years ago since the last Slam won by a male American. Details..

GAUFF IS A "BIG" WTA NAME? Who guarantees that she will become an elite? Do you remember Aaron Krickstein? And there is a big difference between an elite player and the 20th place player. Like Isner, in ATP only Isner has been in the top 20 in the last seasons! And Serena will retire.

Stephens will not wake up at 28 years old. Another 4 Slam finals besides Serena and none of the players is elite, or none is elite anymore. Not winning a Slam but playing finals says everything about their mentality and the quality after all.

It is a tragedy also what happens with French women's tennis, not just with the American tennis. American tennis is currently supported only by women. But it has every chance of falling. Nobody wants to talk. You are too optimistic. Usually the optimists have a too good opinion about the real situation.

Sampras, Agassi, Connors, McEnroe, Courier, Ashe, Smith, Dibbs, Gottfried, Gerulaitis, Chang, Roddick etc why do you think i'm pessimistic?

Serena, Venus, Davenport, Evert, Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Capriati, Tracy Austin, MJ Fernandez, even Zina Garrison was far.
In 2000 10 out of top 20 used to be American. And you tell me about the 2010s and later...

Can we all agree the US has a problem or not? Because if we can't, it's a strange, weird thread. I care, I can't hide the truth. And the US is anyway not smaller France. We should also discuss France maybe.

I think Black Panther needs a Covid19 test. A strange thread.

The level of play by American female players & European players is so close. There are great young players from both sides of the water, certainly some good young American players like Gauff & Anisimova, and a few slightly older.

And Kenin DID NOT win the Australian Open by accident. She was the best player over two weeks and won 7 matches in a row, which is something your supposed to do.
The level is close from 200th Bouchard to Keys. Allow me to be more pessimistic about Anisimova at least. The girl does not know how to stay in her shoes. But if Gauff becomes the new Serena, everybody will be happy. They don't need at least 5 American players in top 20, at some point they used to be 10/20, they just need Serena + Keys (Keys outside top 15). Kenin is interesting and she is not. In another era she probably would not have been an elite. If she stays in the elite.

Europe is producing the elites today. Until the US will not change something, it will swim in mediocrity.

If no one else shows up, we'll end up with Kenin, Keys and I hope Gauff. I can bet that these 3 will rarely be all in the top 20 at least.

The United States must produce at least 1 elite in each circuit, at least 2 top 10 players in ATP and WTA. 3-4 top 20 or top 25 players.

Osaka is basically American. Also, tennis is still the best sport for women to play in the USA. Heck, even Osaka / Gauff might inspire a whole new generation of youngsters.

As for ATP...yeah, it's dead.
Osaka will never represent the US.

Ok, the WTA will survive, but knowing the ATP and the WTA failures of the recent past... It might be a mediocre state for such a country and tennis school!

Make America great again in tennis!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You, Americans, are so spoiled. I, as a Latvian, am glad we have 2 players in WTA TOP 50 which is something out of this world.

Reactions: FritzF

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
You, Americans, are so spoiled. I, as a Latvian, am glad we have 2 players in WTA TOP 50 which is something out of this world.
They're obviously both currently a little off their recent career highs, but it's still a brilliant achievement, especially when you see your 1.9m popn and compare it to the 3 other grand slam countries - France 67m, 2 inside the top 50, United Kingdon / GB 66m, 2 inside the top 50 (just, Heather is 50, and even that was just because of some surprise resurgence from out of nowhere), Australia 25m, one currently inside the top 50, albeit the current world #1.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
They're obviously both currently a little off their recent career highs, but it's still a brilliant achievement, especially when you see your 1.9m popn and compare it to the 3 other grand slam countries - France 67m, 2 inside the top 50, United Kingdon / GB 66m, 2 inside the top 50 (just, Heather is 50, and even that was just because of some surprise resurgence from out of nowhere), Australia 25m, one currently inside the top 50, albeit the current world #1.
Yeah, I know. Ostapenko and Sevastova was even in TOP 15 at the same time. Out of nowhere Latvia has 2 elite players. We only had 1 TOP 100 player before them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Osaka's dad is Haitian, her mum is Japanese, she plays for Japan, but people want to claim her as American 😀
Reminds me of all the people who tried to claim Sharapova as American just because she has the accent, she is 100 bona fide Russian.

The US used to dominate Tennis back in the day when Tennis was no where near the Global sport that it is today. More competition was bound to mean less success for them.

Most of the tournaments on both tours were held in America back in the day, in the 70's and 80's, much harder to travel in them days and American's had a lot of home comforts and advantages, no doubt preferential treatment as well when it came to scheduling and draws.

But in general they have a huge advantage over every European country individually by sheer numbers, for every one Tennis player Britain can produce, America can produce 5 for example.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts