Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a clip of the Roland Garros 1999 final, with Hingis' infamous underhand serve down match point. It was a pretty good serve, actually! :lol: Are there other well-known examples of underhand serves in big matches? I can only think of Michael Chang, 1989 RG Quarterfinal against Lendl...

I played a guy who decided to start serving underhand partway through our match. He had a good slice and really threw off my rhythm on the return because I didn't know what to expect. I was really annoyed at him for that... but on the other hand, it's totally legal. Why is there an "unwritten code" that the underhand serve is substandard or insulting?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I read somewhere that Steffi Graf said that it ´s been very clever thing to do from Hingis...but I´v never seen it again. Maybe this year if hingis plays final at RG :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Edith09 said:
I read somewhere that Steffi Graf said that it ´s been very clever thing to do from Hingis...
Martina got booed for doing the Underhand serve but Steffi said that she didn't have a problem with it.

It was a really good underhand serve (but if I remember correctly, she did a second one which didn't come out that well. But I might be wrong here...:confused: )

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bailey said:
Martina got booed for doing the Underhand serve but Steffi said that she didn't have a problem with it.

It was a really good underhand serve (but if I remember correctly, she did a second one which didn't come out that well. But I might be wrong here...:confused: )
You remember correctly, the second one didn't work so well. :lol:

The first one was effective because Hingis moved into the court and read where Graf's surprised forehand reply was going to go, and then Hingis volleyed it.

·
26,927 Posts
bailey said:
Yeah the first one was good (similar to the one Chang did against Lendl) but the second one sucked. :eek:

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Edith09 said:
I read somewhere that Steffi Graf said that it ´s been very clever thing to do from Hingis...but I´v never seen it again. Maybe this year if hingis plays final at RG :)

I THINK it would be hilarious if Martina served underhanded in her first match...I think the crowd would love it! If I was there I would laugh and applaud her...I love it when people can laugh at themselves! P

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
yea i remember that match where serena was big time imjured and the dumbass masha was celebrating each point as if she really earned it...

idiot

·
Gone with the Wind fabulous!
8,399 Posts
I seriously hope the French Open rocks this year ... the 2005 FO suuuuuuuuuuuucked ... so glad to have Martina back. She always spices things up :devil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts