Tennis Forum banner

501 - 516 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
Congrats NM! It's not often that I song I give points to wins hahaha so I'm glad you did.

Thanks Adey as always!

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Well, it's a good thing I didn't have my hopes up before the last 7 voters. :LOL:

Congrats to the 5 ( :rolleyes: ) that over took me.

AdeyC (y)

·
Premium Member
38,907 Posts
A must hear for the Richman fans! Andrew Bird asks Jonathan questions between songs...

I insist! It's the best interview I know about Richman! (works as a portrait) You have to thank Andrew Bird for that. They also talk about "Hospital" at 31:15

I've watched it all. It gives so much dimension of Richman's personality. It was just two months ago and I think everybody should watch that. It's beautiful.

·
Registered
30,521 Posts
oh ppl like Nick or I can win any game we want, fear not
Speak for yourself! :D I could, if you didn't get in my way. ;) Congrats!

Hospital is one of those songs where I remember my first time listening to it. I second everything Shved wrote about it.

As for the Nico Gomez & Velvet Underground song I sent, receiving so many 12s and 10s was a surprise. However, when I saw the reveal of songs I knew I was in for a good result, because nobody else sent anything similar. It's a song I discovered recently when I heard it in a "quarantine" live DJ set on Facebook. :D

·
Registered
30,521 Posts
Wow, so disappointed. 16th for a song that's easily better than half of all songs that ever won this game, let alone most in this game. :confused: I thought it was really cool and a great discovery.

Thanks Hugues! ;) And Litotes and Laurent!

Great song Silent Bird, thanks for that. :cool:

Congrats N.M.!
Night Cliiib was my favourite discovery of the game and would have been an easy 12 if there was no Hospital. ;)

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Speak for yourself! :D I could, if you didn't get in my way. ;) Congrats!

Hospital is one of those songs where I remember my first time listening to it. I second everything Shved wrote about it.

As for the Nico Gomez & Velvet Underground song I sent, receiving so many 12s and 10s was a surprise. However, when I saw the reveal of songs I knew I was in for a good result, because nobody else sent anything similar. It's a song I discovered recently when I heard it in a "quarantine" live DJ set on Facebook. :D
Yes, we can rotate games :p
The Nico Gomez song was spectacular, I've never heard it before.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Funny enough, I remember giving 12 points to "I was dancing in the lesbian bar" in one of the early games. It must have taken one of the last places if not the last one.
Actually, you only gave it 5 ;) It was entered in game 5, and finished 20th and dead last in the SF. You could have elevated it to 18th with a 12.

Your actual 12 was Heavy Cross by Gossip. 10 All These Things I've Done by The Killers. 8 Happy Hour by The Housemartins. 7 I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner....no, wait, wrong line. To I want You by Elvis Costello. 0 to Foreigner. Hope I didn't scare you there. 6 It Must Have Been Love by Roxette.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,173 Posts
Actually, you only gave it 5 ;) It was entered in game 5, and finished 20th and dead last in the SF. You could have elevated it to 18th with a 12.

Your actual 12 was Heavy Cross by Gossip. 10 All These Things I've Done by The Killers. 8 Happy Hour by The Housemartins. 7 I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner....no, wait, wrong line. To I want You by Elvis Costello. 0 to Foreigner. Hope I didn't scare you there. 6 It Must Have Been Love by Roxette.
@N.M. You gave Roxette, The Housemartins and The Killers more points than you gave "I Was Dancing In a Lesbian Bar"? For shame........ :rolleyes:

:p

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Early games were vulture galore apparently.
They were full of well known songs, yes. Noone had started to complain about that yet. Different landscape. Beat hadn't started playing, histery hadn't started, Mustafina hadn't started, Silver Persian hadn't started.. Silent Bird was playing but back then sending conventional stuff, game 5 he sent White Flag by Dido (though unlike N.M. he did give 12 to Richman). Chris and Hugues were playing but doing rather poorly, and known for giving each other more points than any other pair of players. So much so I was surprised to see Hugues only gave 4 to Dancing In a Lesbian Bar.

·
Registered
30,521 Posts
They were full of well known songs, yes. Noone had started to complain about that yet. Different landscape. Beat hadn't started playing, histery hadn't started, Mustafina hadn't started, Silver Persian hadn't started.. Silent Bird was playing but back then sending conventional stuff, game 5 he sent White Flag by Dido (though unlike N.M. he did give 12 to Richman). Chris and Hugues were playing but doing rather poorly, and known for giving each other more points than any other pair of players. So much so I was surprised to see Hugues only gave 4 to Dancing In a Lesbian Bar.
I, and probably others, were adapting to the market back then. Nobody could say which songs would be best received by the other players. BSG wasn't a hobby back then, but more like a curiosity on a tennis forum.

It's true I have discovered a lot of music since then. Jonathan Richman was one of my first 'serious' discoveries.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts

Interesting, I only remember the Richman's song from that game :D Though tbh all songs I awarded points had a special personal meaning / memory to me. Strange I didn't give 12 to Housemartins huh. But Heavy Cross is very special for me and All These Things I've Done too, also fav song by The Killers, from whom I only like that first album :)

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
@N.M. You gave Roxette, The Housemartins and The Killers more points than you gave "I Was Dancing In a Lesbian Bar"? For shame........ :rolleyes:

:p
OMG I love The Housemartins, and that Killers album reminds me of my first foreign holiday without parents :D Though I remembered only Richman's song from that game, hence I was sure I gave a 12 :D
Roxette, haha I must have been sad when voting, it does touch a sad nerve

501 - 516 of 516 Posts