Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 262 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,817 Posts
It's not really the kind of music I usually listen to but I was unsure what to send for this theme and decided to go out of my comfort zone a bit. It didn't really pay off result-wise but I'm glad you liked it as well!
I always consider it a moral victory when my selection flops but I know I chose a song that enhanced the game by bringing something different to it. And of course that applies as well to other people's selections that don't get lots of points but will still end up more remembered that a lot of the finals. In my book this selection was a total moral victory!!!!

·
***** Emeritus
41,647 Posts
Maybe I should be happy I wasn't last, but still shameful. I wrote SF2 reviews to compliment my song since I knew other probably wouldn't. It was a fantastic performance that day and a good sound quality recording. Easily more enjoyable than The Cure.
lmfao, I didn't even figure out it was a cover of Friday I'm in Love until you mentioned The Cure (although the song did sound somewhat familiar) 😭 But Friday I'm in Love is definitely one of my least fav Cure songs.

Oh and I understand what you said about that Jambinai song (and I guess I knew there are better Jambinai songs to send to BSG), but the song was fantastic when I saw them play it live.

·
Registered
19,564 Posts
I lost a few big points in both semis.

Did SRB Analyst really give 10 to Chocobo after trashing it in reviews? 😃

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
I lost a few big points in both semis.

Did SRB Analyst really give 10 to Chocobo after trashing it in reviews? 😃
Yes, I am a gamer and still have that nostalgic factor that decided to reward gaming piece. :eek:)

·
7,684 Posts
Gal Costa and Rosalia out...😥

I thought Baby was a sure finalist, great song, Adam! (y)
Same here. It is strange. Tropicalia seems to be a genre that has never caught on in these games. I don't suppose there have been more than around a dozen such entrees over the 300+ games we have had but I can't recall any of them doing terribly well, which is a real shame. Late 60s/ early 70s Brazilian music is pretty magical. Baby is probably the most famous song to come out of the Tropicalia era too. It's a beautiful song. I remember entering the English language Os Mutantes version of the same song a long while back as well, and I as recall that flopped also. It completely baffles me. Wonderful song, wonderful performance, wonderful artists. Ah well......
I saw you two discuss Caetano Veloso a few weeks back when I wrongly nominated You Don't Know Me. It's disappointing the needle hasn't moved with Tropicalia in these games because Tropicalia/MPB has been one of my favourite genre discoveries these games the last couple of years and something I've take a real big liking to because of these games. Although I do think it's a genre that may not appeal to everyone immediately and it becomes more appreciated after several listens. The one time I sent Os Mutantes, A mina menina barely scrapped into the final but somehow ended up with more points in the final and it made the podium.

I'm still gonna send Tropicalia.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,817 Posts
I saw you two discuss Caetano Veloso a few weeks back when I wrongly nominated You Don't Know Me. It's disappointing the needle hasn't moved with Tropicalia in these games because Tropicalia/MPB has been one of my favourite genre discoveries these games the last couple of years and something I've take a real big liking to because of these games. Although I do think it's a genre that may not appeal to everyone immediately and it becomes more appreciated after several listens. The one time I sent Os Mutantes, A mina menina barely scrapped into the final but somehow ended up with more points in the final and it made the podium.

I'm still gonna send Tropicalia.
Oh... that's good. I'm glad Os Mutantes have made a podium. I think I missed that game, not sure but either way that slipped my attention and/or memory. But I'm glad you got that band into at least one podium. :D I think one factor today probably was that it was a very tough field with a lot of high quality songs. That does sometimes wreck havoc on a lot of the best songs although this week was one of the most extreme cases of that I've seen in a while. I think you are right that Tropicalia music generally does require a little time to grow on one but I think it is music that does reward those who give it the attention it deserves.

·
Trainwreck
58,283 Posts
My big loss is "I Wanna Do the Do" lol. Thought it would be bad based on the title but it was a much needed bit of fun in Semi One.

So glad I made the final. I would have raged if not :D.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Banbado is a cheerful get-off-your-butt-and-dance-song to me. If it somehow makes you move/dance then I achieve my aim.😀

Not doing very badly I think. It's fun to get some responses from it, I'm curious.
Mozell will get big points from me. Daring entry.
I reward whoever sends stuff from games.
Wow, it's my pleasure thank you so much.🧡 But what's daring about it? Because it's from games? Don't quite get it.:unsure:
Also thanks to Potapovian, SRB Analyst, and Pierre..:p

As for the result, I'm surprised that the Book of Right On doesn't make it.

·
Registered
11,697 Posts
Aww shame some of the people who didn’t vote where some of the more pop lovers.
SF1 results are such a mess for me lmao - lost all the songs I liked

·
Premium Member
104,671 Posts
Banbado is a cheerful get-off-your-butt-and-dance-song to me. If it somehow makes you move/dance then I achieve my aim.😀

Not doing very badly I think. It's fun to get some responses from it, I'm curious.

Wow, it's my pleasure thank you so much.🧡 But what's daring about it? Because it's from games? Don't quite get it.:unsure:
Also thanks to Potapovian, SRB Analyst, and Pierre..:p

As for the result, I'm surprised that the Book of Right On doesn't make it.
Game songs don't do well at bsg (Apart from Senbonzakura which WON five years ago)

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
I would haven given 12 to several other Jambinai songs, but only 8 to this one. At least it wasn't decisive.

I'm most surprised about Cloissoné's ranking.

Maybe I should be happy I wasn't last, but still shameful. I wrote SF2 reviews to compliment my song since I knew other probably wouldn't. It was a fantastic performance that day and a good sound quality recording. Easily more enjoyable than The Cure.
There are much better pieces of Finnish Folk music around though, check Tenhi, Menaiset or Loituma for something with extraordinary quality and strange sounds being present.

No offense, but that was just a cover with accordion, no unusual instruments that are distinctive either. Nice, but not something that would blow me away.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There are much better pieces of Finnish Folk music around though, check Tenhi, Menaiset or Loituma for something with extraordinary quality and strange sounds being present.

No offense, but that was just a cover with accordion, no unusual instruments that are distinctive either. Nice, but not something that would blow me away.
This is not serious Finnish folk music and they have nothing to do with the bands you mention. It is fun/dance music, they play covers in "humppa" style. I've seen them live 8 times and it was certainly worth it, even though I'm not someone who dances in public or listens to party music.

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
This is not serious Finnish folk music and they have nothing to do with the bands you mention. It is fun/dance music, they play covers in "humppa" style. I've seen them live 8 times and it was certainly worth it, even though I'm not someone who dances in public or listens to party music.

Maybe I don't like humppa style, I don't like Korpiklaani either and I should in theory like them. Their kind of Folk Metal just does not appeal to me. :)

·
***** Emeritus
41,647 Posts
Strange game (as expected?) but I absolutely love my top 5 from semi 1.
I lost Ivar Avenue Reunion in the semis, but the other 4 are safely in my top 5, as expected. And you all know the song from semi 2 that avoided an all-semi-1 top 4 ;)

201 - 220 of 262 Posts