Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 237 Posts

·
7,307 Posts
That seems to be what he is indicating when he suggests albums that have 13 tracks by way of bonus tracks etc, are acceptable. By that logic it rather suggests that albums with thirteen songs prior to the inclusion of bonus tracks are also acceptable. Therefore I think the idea is if a particular version of an album contains 13 tracks it is then acceptable even if other versions of the album have more or less tracks on them.

The one thing that wasn't brought up is whether compilations are eligible to be counted. I will leave that for DropShotAce to determine but I would suspect not. I will certainly be looking for an actually album rather than a compilation myself.
It's a great, albeit very specific theme if people stick to what DSA meant.

It would suck if people nominated a song that was on a random 13 track compilation, greatest hits or soundtrack etc. That would be defeating the purpose of the theme.

Even then, you have random albums that are released with different track lists around the world. For instance, Japan usually has one or two extra tracks thrown in for that market. iTunes might include a bonus track etc. There's a lot of leeway that I'm hoping people don't abuse.

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
Not something I'd pick out of a hat. I'd have preferred "13 tracks or greater" as the criteria but here's a substantial challenge to get exact.

An ill boding number though, Chinese elevators omit number 13 frequently.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,225 Posts
Not something I'd pick out of a hat. I'd have preferred "13 tracks or greater" as the criteria but here's a substantial challenge to get exact.

Shame that on the surface at least (unless one can find a release with the exact needed amount of bonus tracks) none of the 13th Floor Elevator albums seem to be eligible for this game. The 1st and 3rd albums both featured 11 tracks and the 2nd album, 10 tracks. Bummer.

·
Registered
18,983 Posts
Debut and second album by The Cure contain 13 tracks. :eek:h:

·
Registered
312 Posts
That seems to be what he is indicating when he suggests albums that have 13 tracks by way of bonus tracks etc, are acceptable. By that logic it rather suggests that albums with thirteen songs prior to the inclusion of bonus tracks are also acceptable. Therefore I think the idea is if a particular version of an album contains 13 tracks it is then acceptable even if other versions of the album have more or less tracks on them.

The one thing that wasn't brought up is whether compilations are eligible to be counted. I will leave that for DropShotAce to determine but I would suspect not. I will certainly be looking for an actually album rather than a compilation myself.
What if it's a compilation of previously unreleased tracks though?

·
Registered
29,834 Posts
What if it's a compilation of previously unreleased tracks though?
Indeed. I don't exactly see the meaningfulness of distinguishing between a "regular" album and a compilation. Both formats are a curation of a larger "body" of music.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts

I think you are correct on all counts. I don't have the time to trawl endlessly for 13 track albums but fortuitously two of the songs on my list are on 13 track (non-compilation) albums. Neither strikes me as a winner but hey-ho.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts

Several other numbers are missing too. What's wrong with those?

·
33,225 Posts
Yeah no 13th floor but also no 4th floor, no 14th floor, no 23rd floor and no 24th floor. I guess when we see a skyscraper in China that is reputed to have 100+ floors it probably really only has 80 or so. Personally I'd say that is cheating but what can you do?

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
Yeah no 13th floor but also no 4th floor, no 14th floor, no 23rd floor and no 24th floor. I guess when we see a skyscraper in China that is reputed to have 100+ floors it probably really only has 80 or so. Personally I'd say that is cheating but what can you do?
4 is an inauspicious number in Chinese since it sounds like the word for "death/to die". 14 is worse because it sounds like "sure to die".
Thus floors omit any number ending in 4.

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
"Sure to die" o_O....yeah, it would be quite awkward to have a number that audibly sounded like "sure to die". :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
oh and 24 is even worse than 14. 2 sounds like "easy". So combine these and you get 24 being "sure to die easily". Also, 34 is an interesting one because 3 sounds like the word for birth, at least in Cantonese. So 34 is "born destined to die".

·
33,225 Posts
oh and 24 is even worse than 14. 2 sounds like "easy". So combine these and you get 24 being "sure to die easily". Also, 34 is an interesting one because 3 sounds like the word for birth, at least in Cantonese. So 34 is "born destined to die".
Okay.... so what's the issue with "23" then? I guess that probably sounds like "sure to die painfully and slowly" or something along those lines.....

·
Registered
19,517 Posts
Okay.... so what's the issue with "23" then? I guess that probably sounds like "sure to die painfully and slowly" or something along those lines.....
That one is probably anomalous.
I'm not sure why this elevator omits it, because many others don't.

Thst said I have heard 23 is the "evil" number but that's not an Asian thing.

·
Registered
18,983 Posts
69th floor, me thinks.

21 - 40 of 237 Posts