Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
According to my particular taste... SF2 wasn't better. I'd say both are veeeeery even - SF1 is a bit more over the place so it feels weirder.

Not an unlistenable game but not one where I actually discovered anything - it is a very beige playlist. If I'm not mistaken I felt the same about one of the Previously Unnominated games around the 200-210 mark (the one won by the Erik Satie entry).

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
This playlist is actually quite good. You just have to go into it without any expectations and give every song their fair chance - no song here is perfect, but it's fun to hear the good parts and not focus on the weaknesses. The lack of critical acclaim to most of these songs helps - you'll have to decide on your own, without referring to the Pitchforks of the world. ;) Let's see if we're able to.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
For example, Pikachunes sounds better than most of Hot Chip. 🤷‍♀️ Hong Kong Express can replace DJ Shadow. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I did - most of the songs are not really what I'd listen regularly so I don't feel the urge to recheck them.

I was actually pretty surprised with SF2 getting better reviews since it's a poppier one. Pop tends to do better with the silent majority.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
XYZ with one of the grooviest rock songs I've heard recently, sounding like an updated Suicide record.

Blossoms - There's A Reason Why (I Never Returned Your Calls) is silly but irresistible. Perfect little guilty pleasure.

Mi Nave succeeding in mixing a healthy dose of 70s, 90s and 10s. I thought I was listening to some old Italian band at first. Perhaps I was still under the influence of Erlend Øye (from Kings of Convenience) who transported me to Amalfi.

Pierre Kwenders has a vocie similar to Seal, but his music unfortunately is a mess.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
Top 10,000 bands of 2010-2019:
John Dowd - Betty
Judd Greenstein - Clearing, Dawn, Dance
Anna McClellan - Fire Flames
Coucou Chloe - Gecko
Skating Polly - Hey Sweet
Hong Kong Express - Hong Kong 2046
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Kitten - Memphis
Pikachunes - Nervous
Yassassin - Pretty Face
XYZ - Rock On
Erlend Øye - La Prima Estate
Blossoms - There's a reason why (I never returned your calls)
Mi Nave - Trinchera
Young Thug - Wycleaf Jean

Ash Barty's Niece's Birthday Party:
French 79 - Between the Buttons
Febueder - Brazilia
Adalita - Jewel Thief
Carnival Youth - Never Have Enough
Conor Maynard - Royalty
Pierre Kwenders - Woods of Solitude

WTA Debrecen Hungarian Ladies’ Open 2020 Vibes:
Two People - Fading
Cellar Darling - Freeze
Kenshi Yonezu - Lemon
Marissa Nadler - Skyscraper
Kati Wolf – What About My Dreams

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Bigwave.

At least you'll always have Pitchfork and Resident Advisor.
I haven't read a review in months and I don't watch Fantano's videos because I find him annoying.

I definitely missed some music from around the world - usually my favorite discoveries come from countries I know jacksh!t about.

·
Administrator
64,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #110

·
Administrator
64,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

·
Administrator
64,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

·
Administrator
64,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
I can give reviews. I'm somewhat disappointed with how the theme turned out because this was a bad selection of songs and I include my selection on that list as well.

I wanted to stop the repeated influx of Bjork, Charlotte, PJ Harvey entries but if these selection of songs were the alternative, I should have gone for a different theme altogether. I believe my other themes would have produced better entries.
There are a couple of really good songs (one especially) but on the whole it is meh. Like you, I don't even rate my own song that highly.

·
Registered
18,854 Posts
Brazilia is so nice! Even surprised myself. My entry is going to flop so hard. At the end I rated SF1 to be a slightly better semi. 2nd semi with those pop-indie stuff really downgraded my marks. La Prima Estate is fantastic.

·
Administrator
64,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
4 hours to go :-

aerosmash
Boreas
histery
Latvian
Laurent Moy
Leif
N.M.
resident_bizarre
Shvedbarilescu
Silent Bird
TIEFSEE

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Brazilia 3/5
Betty 3/5
Between the buttons 4/5
Clearing, Dawn, Dance 2/5 Sounds like a soundtrack to the Little Mole cartoon.
Fading 4/5
Fire flames 4/5
Freeze 3/5
Gecko 1/5
Hey Sweet 1/5 I dont like songs with senseless attitude
Hong Kong 2046/8184
Hot Dreams 3/5
Jewel Thief 5/5
Lemon 4/5

Memphis 2/5
Nervous 3/5
Never have enough 5/5
Pretty Face 3/5
Rock on 2/5
Royalty 2/5
Skyscraper 4/5
La Prima Estate 2/5
There's a reason why 4/5
Trinchera 4/5
What about my Dreams 3/5
Woods of Solitude 4/5
Wycleaf Jean 2/5

I'm feverish so that's my excuse for these grades.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
Anna McClellan sounded either sick or depressed or both. I know the vibe she wanted, just didn't come across.
Even the Clearing, Dawn, Dance song I tried to like but wasn't quite feeling the vibe (still better than many other entries).
The nerve of this person criticizing the two best songs of SF1. :ROFLMAO:

Tragic.

101 - 120 of 219 Posts