Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
35,652 Posts
what if there a multiple laptops involved? 😇
and no no, i'm not gonna find laptop music for this game, i will totally comply with your definition of the theme. just wanted to push back a little on the notion that you can only make "smiling" music with real instruments.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,537 Posts
and no no, i'm not gonna find laptop music for this game, i will totally comply with your definition of the theme. just wanted to push back a little on the notion that you can only make "smiling" music with real instruments.
I don't entirely rule out the possibility. But I'm not really sure how laptop computers jam with each other. :ROFLMAO:

I think the thing is, generally when music is made on a computer the opportunity for spontaneity is rather hindered.

·
32,537 Posts
It's not quite laptop computers but I think the closest I can think of along these lines that would work pretty well for this theme is some of the work by Perrey and Kingsley, early electronic music in which there was a lot of playfulness going on and a genuine sense of discovery and adventure and as you put it joie de vivre.

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
Good, commercial trash is out. Thank you Chris for cleaning up. :)

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Hiphop being the prime example. Cutting, sampling, scratching and looping can sound extremely original if done right. JMG's Fazi submission featured quite a bit of that but you could see how much fun was going on behind that.

So I'm going to focus largely on the devotion aspect.

·
32,537 Posts
It's a very subjective interpretation of 'oozing fun' but fair enough; I'll try to find something.
Indeed. At the end of the day all you can do is trust your own judgement and then put your song up to the collective range of judgmentalness that are the members this game who will vote for the songs that they hear the most smiles from.

Hopefully my comments can help provide some inspiration to those participating members who are looking for ideas. But at the end of the day, the goal is to find a song that makes you hear smiles, whatever type of music that might be....

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Why not? Do elaborate by all means. I hear a lot of smiles in their music, personally.
Weren't they pretty much forced by their father to make music? Other than that, the ingenuity in their songs was endearing and absolutely refreshing compared to how calculated commercial music is.

Otherwise outsider music fits great in this game though I'm not sure many people will enjoy stuff like Leona Anderson's Music to Suffer By.

·
32,537 Posts
Weren't they pretty much forced by their father to make music? Other than that, the ingenuity in their songs was endearing and absolutely refreshing compared to how calculated commercial music is.

Otherwise outsider music fits great in this game though I'm not sure many people will enjoy stuff like Leona Anderson's Music to Suffer By.
I thought that was what you were getting at. My own impression is that even though it was clearly their dad's impetus that drove the band, the girls still had fun playing together and they did have a strange chemistry. Dot and Betty have even played some reunion shows in recent years and Dot made an awesome comeback album a few years ago.

As for outsider music, I guess, like a lot of genres, some of it would work pretty well, some of it, less well. Daniel Johnston for example has recorded some music than is full of joy and enthusiasm but he has also recorded a lot of sad, tortured, heartbroken material that wouldn't work so well for this game, to put it mildly. I guess that's what you get with bipolar musicians.

I don't know Leona Anderson's "Music to Suffer By" but from the title I'm guessing that would probably not be the best song for this theme either, which doesn't mean that it doesn't sound like an intriguing entry for another game. I'm curious and I will give this song a listen. :)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I thought that was what you were getting at. My own impression is that even though it was clearly their dad's impetus that drove the band, the girls still had fun playing together and they did have a strange chemistry. Dot and Betty have even played some reunion shows in recent years and Dot made an awesome comeback album a few years ago.

As for outsider music, I guess, like a lot of genres, some of it would work pretty well, some of it, less well. Daniel Johnston for example has recorded some music than is full of joy and enthusiasm but he has also recorded a lot of sad, tortured, heartbroken material that wouldn't work so well for this game, to put it mildly. I guess that's what you get with bipolar musicians.

I don't know Leona Anderson's "Music to Suffer By" but from the title I'm guessing that would probably not be the best song for this theme either, which doesn't mean that it doesn't sound like an intriguing entry for another game. I'm curious and I will give this song a listen. :)
A bit off-topic, but one friend of mine who suffers from OCD and depression once said to me that no other artist soothes her in her darkest moments like Daniel Johnston - even at his bleakest moments he simply was a sign that she wasn't alone feeling that way.

I've never laughed like when I listened to Leona Anderson's Rats in My Room for the first time, btw. The lyrics. The voice. The dramatic arrangements. And she was very much into the joke, unlike Florence Foster Jenkins, Wing or Mrs. Miller.

·
32,537 Posts

Okay....I have now had the pleasure of listening to a few tracks by Leona Anderson. Cool. Yeah.... Definitely something one could file as comedic, novelty, outsider music. I must admit I am one of those weirdos that does actually quite like that sort of thing, but I guess you know that. At a stretch it probably would work in a theme like this, although I think it is also very possible, perhaps even, dare I say it, desirable, to go with slightly more conventional recording than this as well. ;)

That said, outsider music is definitely a genre that hopefully will get some representation in this game. Honestly, this is a theme that I fully expect to have a wide range of interpretations and I would expect, and indeed hope for, a very varied playlist.

·
32,537 Posts
A bit off-topic, but one friend of mine who suffers from OCD and depression once said to me that no other artist soothes her in her darkest moments like Daniel Johnston - even at his bleakest moments he simply was a sign that she wasn't alone feeling that way.

I've never laughed like when I listened to Leona Anderson's Rats in My Room for the first time, btw. The lyrics. The voice. The dramatic arrangements. And she was very much into the joke, unlike Florence Foster Jenkins, Wing or Mrs. Miller.
I wouldn't even say there is anything off-topic about your post. You make some great points here. I think that is one of the wondrous virtues of a lot of the great singer songwriters who suffered with mental health issues. For anyone who has suffered from any mental health issues hearing another musician who is able to convey the experience is totally Godsend. I am sure that is one reason I am drawn to such artists myself. And yes, Leona is a lot of fun and I thank you for drawing her to my attention. :cool: I'm just listening to "Limburger Lover".....this one is totally ace, my favourite of hers so far!!!

21 - 40 of 122 Posts