Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
SF1 is decent but not superb. I think people sort of played it safe in general.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
SF2

Holly Cole - My Foolish Heart
Classic, but not quite hypnotic. Reminds me of one of those live piano performances you'd hear at hotel lobbies after 8. There's a slight wry, offbeat flavour to her crooning and vocal styling that's interesting.

Big Thief - Mythological Beauty
Really loving the 90s undertone. The singer manages to sound so personal, so close to your ear, almost flatlining in places then ramping up the intensity ever so slightly throughout the song. Simple but sublime.

Barbara Manning - Rickety Tickety Tin
Wow, that was a whole journey. Not quite an ear grabber, but I appreciate the songwriting. Her voice is free of frills but the lyrics are packed with gems. It's a marvel how she can write such dark lyrics with such a deft touch, as if she's winking at you while singing them.

Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello - Señorita
So after Despacito, shameless Latin-themed cash-grabbing is a thing now?

Jeremy Soule - Skyrim Atmosphere
TL;DL. Ok I did try. I was hoping for more of the harp thing that kicked in at the 15 and 24-minute interval. Might be nice music for a meditation room.

Judee Sill - The Kiss
She sings in shades of softness, with that honeyed voice. I almost wish the instrumentation didn't swell so loudly in some places, but at the same time I love how it sounds like she's singing in a musical echo chamber. It's incredibly intriguing to hear how she blends a baroque sensibility with her folk sound.

Of The Wand and The Moon - The Raven Chant
My ears liked this more than my heart did. There's something palpable going on here but I'm scared to find out.

Lambchop - This Corrosion
I looove Lambchop and this song showcases everything I love about them. Always brooding, casual yet completely in control. Almost boring but utterly beguiling. The perfect late-night music for me. In case you're not aware, this is a cover of some weird goth pop song.

Jessica Pratt - This Time Around
The only song I've previously heard from her was "Back, Baby" and I remember being completely mesmerised. Same here. The sound she creates is one you just completely surrender yourself to. An ethereal lullaby.

Stella Donnelly - Time After Time
Love some of the guitar riffs in there but overall, slightly too meandering.

The xx - VCR
Not one of their best songs. I guess this is as "twee" as The XX gets, but they shine when they're austere and vacuous.

Pendentif - Vertige Exhaussé
Almost too cool for school. Every essential sonic ingredient of modern indie music is in this song. Gotta admit, the frothy, summery vibe is quite the earworm.

Boogie Belgique - Volta
This is how his Bandcamp page describes the album: "It's a beautiful concoction, and Boogie Belgique delivers on many aspects of this style throughout his eleven track album. Volta is a satisfying trip in an aural time machine."

Love the mix of vintage textures with contemporary beats. And it's the total "nonchalance" with which this is done that really draws me in. There's a mist of mystery that feels so forlorn yet immediate.

Cluster - Zum Wohl
Gorgeous. I don't know how you can sound verdant but they achieved it here. There's a dizzying quality every time a new and foreign sound pops up and shatters the equilibrium. It's oppressive yet tranquil. Quiet yet quixotic. Great discovery.

·
***** Emeritus
40,994 Posts
what's with all the cover versions? curious to hear what joris thinks of "this corrosion".
I can answer this a bit better now. At first I found it extremely boring and lame, but it has grown on me big time. Still, as said, it can't beat the "weird goth pop" original version.

·
Administrator
63,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

·
Administrator
63,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

·
Administrator
63,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

·
Administrator
63,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
But let’s not talk this through (I used to)
Cause long words widen gaps between lovers
We ought to be lone, my home’s your own
Until we have each other we’re strangers

This chorus right now :eek:

·
Administrator
63,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
7 hours to go :-

Adam
aerosmash
Boreas
JMG
Latvian
Laurent Moy
Leif
Litotes
Matmagix
MrPeanutButter
Perun
Sammo
Shvedbarilescu
TennisFan102

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,537 Posts
Voted. Discounting my own song, I have to say the 2nd half is of a way higher standard than the 1st half. That said, my two favourite songs in this game come from the 1st half. Thing is, after those two there isn't much else. 2nd half on the other half is pretty solid for the most part.

·
Administrator
63,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
2 hours to go :-

aerosmash
Boreas
Latvian
Laurent Moy
Leif
Litotes
Matmagix
MrPeanut Butter
Perun
Sammo
TennisFan102

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I have little respect for those who came up with covers for this game or in general, for me it is so ... unoriginal. And it makes me suspect it's a cop-out ... as in I like this song but ...oh no ... it's already been used so why not go with a cover of it? Lol.

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
I have little respect for those who came up with covers for this game or in general, for me it is so ... unoriginal. And it makes me suspect it's a cop-out ... as in I like this song but ...oh no ... it's already been used so why not go with a cover of it? Lol.
It's even worse when cover is atrocious. And I can recognise the Great cover. Rare cases.

·
Registered
18,724 Posts
Talking about covers and samples, do you know what original song Shawn and that uneducated Camila sampled?

81 - 100 of 229 Posts