Tennis Forum banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,236 Posts
I know it would have done better than Bedouine, but I was so bitter and fed up of sending a repeated artist, I couldn't stand the thought of sending it this time. "LOL" :D
Re: Bedouine's lovely song "Bird". I liked that one as soon as I heard it but I think the thing that really one me over to that song was when I noticed after a few listens her reference to an obscure old Donovan track.

·
Registered
35,775 Posts
congrats to shved! :bigclap: (<- yeah, i miss the old animated smilies, too, javi).
i wasn't a big fan of this latest iggy pop album, you definitely chose one of the better tracks. i'm sure you're gonna pick a great theme again.

THANKS ADRIAN!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bedouine (One of these days) was on my list for Secret Santa (Leif) and also a possible filler for 305 if I don't find anything else.

·
Registered
19,010 Posts
Well that was unexpected. My first win in almost two years. Honestly I'd been just as happy if Histery's great DIIV song "Blankenship" or Adam's wonderful Big Thief selection "Not" won instead. Both would have been just as deserving, if not more so.

That said, as Silent Bird points out there is something inherently amusing about a guy who has been making music over half a century beating out all the young ones to claim the best song of 2019 accolade. I do like that.

Obviously the nicest part of winning these games is the honour of picking an upcoming theme. As I don't go into these games expecting to win that's not something I've given any thought about so I will have to ponder this decision for the next day or so.

Thank you Adey for all the wonderful work and time you put into these games.
Chris, you won 2016 and 2019 game. Can we expect your next win to be in "2022"? ?

·
33,236 Posts
congrats to shved! :bigclap: (<- yeah, i miss the old animated smilies, too, javi).
i wasn't a big fan of this latest iggy pop album, you definitely chose one of the better tracks. i'm sure you're gonna pick a great theme again.

THANKS ADRIAN!
I really like what Iggy's been doing the last few years. He has very cleverly divided his music between the kind of music his fans expect of him and the kind of music he, himself wants to make. Obviously what the fans expect of him is loud rock n roll. And on the two Stooges albums and 2016's Post Pop Depression he has given them that. But concurrently with that, he has also found the time to do several jazzier, mellow recording which is clearly where his heart lies now. A recent quote of Iggy's even said he was "sick of listening to idiot thugs with guitars banging out crappy music". I get where he is coming from too. When you have recorded some of the greatest rock records of all time with The Stooges and also in your early solo career there isn't a lot of point going over the same stuff again but less effectively.

Iggy has always loved jazz music and as he has gotten older his voice has ripened and matured making him pretty perfect for this genre. "Préliminaires", "Après" and "Free" (as well as several other low key colaborations he has been involved with over the last few years) are all the sound of Iggy doing exactly what he wants to at this stage of his career and in their own way they are as defiant as his early music with The Stooges. It is great to see an artist who has been making music over 50 years who still refuses to be pigeonholed. Yeah, in all truth I was aware that "Love's Missing" wasn't the most adventurous leftfield thing I could have picked, but it is a song I like a lot and it would be hard to find a better example of a musical artist aging gracefully and with dignity so well.

·
33,236 Posts
Chris, you won 2016 and 2019 game. Can we expect your next win to be in "2022"? ?
I will try. :D

That reminds me.....it's been more than 3 years since the amazing La Femme have put out a new album. And sadly I don't believe anyone has entered any of their songs since I won with "Où va le monde". They have so many other wonderful songs on their two albums and I encourage everyone to give them a listen.

·
Registered
19,010 Posts
I am so sorry for no votes, in Wednesday I was travelling. Chris, nice Iggy's song.

@Mauriac Well, now you understand my and SB's pain. Not surprised at all.

Thank you Adey. :) I expect much better result in Game 305 for my song. (Even tho I see a big flop incoming)

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Re: Bedouine's lovely song "Bird". I liked that one as soon as I heard it but I think the thing that really one me over to that song was when I noticed after a few listens her reference to an obscure old Donovan track.

I had thought it was a reference to Rudyard Kipling first and foremost. But now I see it makes more sense, as this is a song. ;)

·
Registered
8,003 Posts
Yesss Chris, congrats! It's good to have you and your genuine interest in music back. Indeed hilarious to see such a long time artist win this game of modern music. ?

321 - 335 of 335 Posts