Tennis Forum banner

301 - 320 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
35,661 Posts
thanks for your guesses, RaRu, that was a lot fo fun.

p.s. bud887 quoting RaRu showed me the only improvement i've discovered in this new webdesign so far: quoting whole (long) posts only shows the first few lines.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
Let the guessing game begin.

SF1

Song One – King Khan - America Goddamn
: I’d say it’s meant for Shvedbarilescu. It’s got a nice mixture of garage and funk, it’s very political and the production seems much more modern than what it actually is.

EDIT: This must be Wanderer’s based on what’s coming near the end.

Other possible guesses: Shvedbarilescu, Mustafina. Longer shots: SilverPersian, Silent Bird.

Song Two – The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet: Not bass-y anough to be Beat’s, not noisy enough to be histery’s, not French enough to be Laurent Moy’s, me thinks. It doesn’t really scream any name so… why not someone who sent Talking Heads in the past like stromatolite?

Other possible guesses: Matmagix. Longer shots: Beat, histery.

Song Three – The Catheters - Brave Drum: Punk from Sub Pop seems to be closer to The Crow’s league. Post-punk would be better but yeah, why would you send Sufjan first (unless you’re just trolling us all).

Other possible guesses: Beat, Wanderer. Longer shots: Shvedbarilescu.

Song Four – Beverly Glenn-Copeland - Color Of Anyhow: I could just think about N.M. throughout the song. Genre-wise, era-wise it’s a good fit.

Other possible guesses: stromatolite, Mustafina. Longer shots: SilverPersian, aerosmash.

Song Five – Videosex - Detektivska prica: It’s incredible but this is more SRB Analyst-like than Spagna’s call me.

Other possible guesses: Boreas. Longer shots: Litotes, somehow.

Song Six – Major Lazer - Get Free: It doesn’t really scream Random Run. I’m more of the chilly Scandinavian producers (Lindstrøm, Röyksopp, Todd Terje). It’s hard to think outside of Adam but I think different players would be into it.

Possible guesses: aerosmash, Matmagix. Longer shots: bud887.

Song Seven – The Josephine Wiggs Experience - Head To Toe: Bass-wise it’s quite Beat-like.

Possible guesses: histery, The Crow. Longer shots: Shvedbarilescu, Random Run.

Song Eight – Pussy Riot - I Can't Breathe: A not-punk song from them - it’s confusing to assign. One has to think in the possibility it may have been sent thinking about the Russophiles players of this game. Could this be for MrPeanutButter? Has sent stuff closer to this league between the gazillion of covers and videogame soundtracks.

Possible guesses: Shvedbarilescu, Silent Bird. Longer shots: Sam L.

Song Nine – Popol Vuh - Ich Mache Einen Spiegel - Dream Part 49: This is JMG’s. It has that this-is-getting-last-place feeling that he hinted at in a previous post (see: possible guesses) so maybe it was not for but by him.

Possible guesses: Litotes. Longer shots: Perun.

Song Ten – Ros Sereysothea - Kom Nirk Oun Ey: I’m not going to check the results from the ASEAN game but I’m assuming this is for Mustafina.

Possible guesses: Leif, aerosmash. Longer shots: histery, Silent Bird.

Song Eleven – Dog Faced Hermans - Love Is The Heart of Everything: I’ll just say resident_bizarre.

Possible guesses: No one else, to be honest.

Song Twelve - Art Of Noise - Moments In Love: It’s probably the poppier, least-disconcerting moment of Who’s Afraid of the Art of Noise? I’m assuming it should be up the league of some of the Kate Bush fans – but then again, it’s the song Madonna chose to enter when she married Sean Penn. I’ll pick Mauriac based on the classic arrangements Anne Dudley inserted.

Possible guesses: Sam L, SilverPersian. Longer shots: AdeyC, Queen Vika.

Song Thirteen – Siouxsie and The Banshees - Hong Kong Garden: The Sufjan connection just f*cked up a perfect guess for this one. Also: this will surely hit top 5. I’ll assign this one to SilverPersian.

Possible guesses: N.M., The Crow. Longer shots: Mauriac, Wanderer.

Song Fourteen – Loren Allred - Never Enough: I checked: someone skated to this track. I’ll say Sam L.
Possible guesses: MrPeanutButter, bud887. Longer shots: aerosmash.

Song Fifteen – Sky Ferreira - Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay): This is so the gift that Queen Vika asked for and did not receive in the first Secret Santa (not due to not receiving a gift, but for getting Madonna). Wally would have loved this one, too.

Possible guesses: Adam, Haleptard. Longer shots: Random Run.

SF2

Song Sixteen – Kiri te Kanawa - O mio babbino caro
: Ok, this one should also be Beat’s Mauriac’s… but it’s also a pretty Disney-like rendition of the aria, right? And someone in history chose the aria to skate to it. I’ll pick Leif based on the fact that the arrangement was quite striking (and that Leif once sent Ombra Mai Fu).

Possible guesses: Mauriac, Sam L. Longer shots: Nobody else.

Song Seventeen – The Dickies – Paranoid: Now this one is so much pop-punk it’s hard for me not to look at Matmagix. And there's no hip hop, too.

Possible guesses: Wanderer, histery. Longer shots: Nobody else.

Song Eighteen - Happyendless - Power Forever: I’m thinking Litotes is involved here. If he did not receive this is because he sent it.

Possible guesses: Boreas. Longer shots: Nobody else.

Song Nineteen - Desire – Saturday: This feels like when histery got sent Still Corners.

Possible guesses: DropShotAce, Haleptard. Longer shots: Silent Bird.

Song Twenty – Dollar - Shooting Star: Ranking of very Adey-like acts: 1) Bananarama, 2) ABBA, 3) Brotherhood of Man, 4) Dollar.

Possible guesses: Mauriac, aerosmash. Longer shots: bud887, Leif.

Song Twenty-One – Vampire Weekend – Step: Could this one be for… Random Run? I didn’t dare to pick one for me last time but then again, I’m looking at the rest of the playlist and having paid attention to the previous twenty songs… I’m not sure any other song really fits my type. Plus, it’s part of my favorite album by Vampire Weekend – one of my favorite three tracks there. Nevermind, it must be Haleptard’s.

Possible guesses: Random Run, Adam. Longer shots: SilverPersian.

Song Twenty-Two – Cerrone – Supernature: I’m assuming this is Laurent Moy sending a gift for Silent Bird, here goes the :eek:h: smily.

Possible guesses: DropShotAce, Laurent Moy, AdeyC. Longer shots: Random Run, Matmagix.

Song Twenty-Three – Paradis - Toi et Moi: Not the first time someone sends Paradis and I remember liking it the first time – maybe I should check them out. Anyway, I think this is for Laurent Moy because there is no other entry in French.

Possible guesses: DropShotAce, Random Run. Longer shots: bud887, Silent Bird.

Song Twenty-Four - Kajagoogoo - Too Shy: First guess would be Adey and then Mauriac but both of them must have other entries that fit even better. Why not DropShotAce? There’s no house here.

Possible guesses: AdeyC, Mauriac. Longer shots: bud887, Boreas.

Song Twenty-Five – Thievery Corporation - Until The Morning: This feels closer to aerosmash’s league for some reason – aerosmash once sent a reggae remix of a Miike Snow song and Thievery Corporation mixed reggae and bossa with music of the “chill” group…

Possible guesses: TIEFSEE if he were playing, DropShotAce. Longer shots: TennisFan102, Boreas.

Song Twenty-Six – SAMHARA – Vai Marlução: Ok, this must be bud887’s, right?

Possible guesses: Matmagix. Longer shots: Adam.

Song Twenty-Seven – Allez Allez – Valley Of The Kings: This one is testing me. I can’t find something that would make it stick it for someone in this playing field. I’ll leave it for the end.

EDIT: I’m the only one left, so Random Run. Which wouldn’t be quite me – unless you thought “yeah, this is funk, this will do”. This feels more JMG-like (though not as much as Popol Vuh) or even TennisFan102-like (though not as much as Karina Buhr).

Song Twenty-Eight - Karina Buhr - Vira Po: This is hard to pin down but why not TennisFan102? There are no songs of a folk-ish flavor here and this one may be the closest to a “World” music type, in a way.

Possible guesses: Shvedbarilescu, bud887. Longer shots: Random Run, wayitis if he were playing.

Song Twenty-Nine – Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London: Out the players I have left, this must be for Boreas.

Possible guesses: AdeyC, Matmagix. Longer shots: Mauriac.

Song Thirty – Pete Brandt's Method - What You Are: The most unapologetic jazz lover, considering Hugues Daniel is not here, must be Shvedbarilescu. And this is very Shved-like.

Possible guesses: Silent Bird, Adam. Longer shots: Random Run.

Song Thirty-One – Stone Temple Pilots – Creep: This one was submitted last, so it’s either for JMG, Number19 or Perun. There is stuff that could only be for JMG here, so Stone Temple Pilots is not for him. Out of the remaining two, it’s much, much closer to Perun’s league (see: Number19’s post) but the timing of the submission is also very Perun-like so it could be a case of Perun sending 90s alt-rock to make the gift fit Number19 (and missing). Either way: Perun is involved in one of both sides.

Possible guesses: You know it’s up between these two players.
No. 2 feels like something for Shvedbarilescu. And I sincerely hope Major Lazer was sent for Adam and not for me, the voice just annoys me and I've heard it too often in a TV commercial. If so, apologies if I gave someone the wrong idea.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,571 Posts
Half of the game seems meant for Chris :p
It's true. :love: To be fair, I have pretty broad taste in music that covers a wide spectrum of genres. Mostly what it comes down to is that I am not looking for a specific genre or sound. Rather I am seeking specific qualities, like honesty, fragility, spontaneity, warmth, humour, imagination, a sense of fun, self-expression, humanity (that's a big one) and the sparks that are set off when musicians improvise with each other. Like others, I do appreciate a good tune too. Obviously some genres are more conducive to these qualities and those tend to be the genres I gravitate towards but aside from blatantly consumer based chart music, and most classical/operatic material I can find music I appreciate from most genres. Happily it is true a lot of the tracks here do tick several of my boxes and I see at least a dozen songs here (a bit more really) that would be very suitable gifts for me.

Yeah....can't complain at all. :cool:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,571 Posts
Btw, so sad to hear Marie Fredriksson (Roxette) died. I've always had a soft spot for her (and Roxette).
I can't say I heard any music from Roxette that left an impression but Marie Fredriksson did always come across as a good person and she showed great courage over the last 20 years of her life. Even if I didn't care for the music she made I always felt as if I liked her as a person if that makes any sense. I am sad that she is gone.

·
Administrator
63,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Listen To Your Heart is a masterpiece of a song - sad news :cry:

·
Administrator
63,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Votes received :

AdeyC
Beat
Mauriac
N.M.
Number19
Shvedbarilescu
The Crow

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Why does it feel like half of SF2 has been dedicated to our Master Adey? He will sure have a better Christmas with that playlist 🥳

·
Administrator
63,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Votes received :-

AdeyC
Beat
Mauriac
N.M.
Number19
Shvedbarilescu
The Crow
SRB Analyst

Just a reminder that now all days are back to normal - so we're back to the usual Friday deadlines for semi-final votes....

·
Administrator
63,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #318

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Let the guessing game begin.

Song Twenty-One – Vampire Weekend – Step: Could this one be for… Random Run? I didn’t dare to pick one for me last time but then again, I’m looking at the rest of the playlist and having paid attention to the previous twenty songs… I’m not sure any other song really fits my type. Plus, it’s part of my favorite album by Vampire Weekend – one of my favorite three tracks there. Nevermind, it must be Haleptard’s.

Possible guesses: Random Run, Adam. Longer shots: SilverPersian.
:sneaky:🤞

This is one of the few gifts I've got my eye on, now that Mystery of Love is out

·
Administrator
63,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
5.5 hours to go :-

Adam
aerosmash
Boreas
DropShotAce
Leif
Litotes
MrPeanutButter