Tennis Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
7,205 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 299 - The Sixties - Finalists Post 151

I completely apologise for not voting. I concur with everyone that the quality of this game was ridiculously high and an overwhelming number of songs here would have received double digit points from me in most of the games the last few months. It was hard to come to a final list because a dozen songs deserved the 12 points.

In the words of Brian Eno "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 30,000 copies during its first five years but everyone who bought one of those 30,000 copies started a band".
As much as I adore bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Beach Boys etc, none of them left an impression on me like The Velvet Underground when I first heard them. A couple of friends and I started jamming around together specifically after listening to Sunday Morning. We would always try to do soundcheck with Sunday Morning since it was one immaculately produced and engineered song that sounds like nothing of its time. Easily one of my Top 5 favourite songs ever.

This was also a large reason I nominated the song as well:

·
Registered
29,354 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 299 - The Sixties - Ceremony On!!!!!!

I'm not going to lie, the Velvet Underground didn't leave a big impression on me when I first heard their music. :shrug: Maybe they would have if I had heard them back in 1969.

·
Registered
35,659 Posts

well done, adam :) while it's easy to throw around the V-word in this case, it's interesting to note that this was only the 5th velvet song to be nominated.

very happy with my 2nd place and getting 5 x 12's, from mauriac, JMG, histery, perun and RaRu. thank you, guys! i think what people say about the velvet underground – that they brought something new to the table and sounded different than everyone around them – was true for can tenfold.

grazie mille, adrian! :worship:

·
Administrator
63,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
N.M.'s choice of theme thread will be opened tonight.

Adam will get a bit longer to choose a theme...

·
7,205 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 299 - The Sixties - Congrats to Adam

I don't know whether or not there is gonna be a lot of new music released in December but will people mind if I propose the 2019 theme to be opened for next week? The theme is usually opened a few days before Christmas so instead of the theme being opened just before Christmas Day, we would have the song reveals just before Christmas Day.

If there are objections, I have no issue making another theme selection.

·
Registered
18,741 Posts
Adam, it's up to you. You won so make it happen (if you wanted to). I don't think that December is the great month for music.

·
***** Emeritus
40,999 Posts

I don't know whether or not there is gonna be a lot of new music released in December but will people mind if I propose the 2019 theme to be opened for next week? The theme is usually opened a few days before Christmas so instead of the theme being opened just before Christmas Day, we would have the song reveals just before Christmas Day.

Good idea.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts

nooo it was song unrelated

i meant The Crow :eek:h: i gave him 10 points

you are respectful :hug:
Sorry, I misunderstood. Your post pointed to Cheda's post that seemed to be about my song. Phew! :lol:

·
Registered
35,659 Posts

you know i'm up for that! :bigclap:

·
Administrator
63,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #271

That's a good idea - it's become a sort-of tradition to have that as a theme near the year end.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I'm late ... but 4th is a great result for my Polish song ... I usually, sorely underperform with those. :)

Also as I said before that I would be very happy with any of my top pointers winning ... it has actually happened here. I am a big of Velvet Underground ... so it's nice to see @Adam being rewarded for this choice. Also 2nd place for another favourite of mine Mary, Mary So Contrary, and a discovery for me is satisfying. @Beat :)

261 - 272 of 272 Posts