Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 295 – Stupid Intelligence - Nominate!!!!

And this right after the mathematics one...
If you win please don't choose engineering terms as a theme. :lol:

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 295 – Stupid Intelligence - Nominate!!!!

I won't lol. I chose engineering studies because of the big math component tbh ;)
Little maths is more my thing. :lol: 2+2 + 4, 6x9 = 72.......:p

·
Registered
18,076 Posts

Feck, I nominated Shirley's "Stupid Girl" long time ago. :sobbing:

·
Registered
37,347 Posts

Surely I can't be the only one who was disappointed at Lovefool by The Cardigans having already been nominated? :lol:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts

Pity that Urami Bushi by Meiko Kaji was already used

·
Registered
12,714 Posts

This maths is still too big for you :tape:
WTF?! Goodness knows why I wrote that. :haha:

·
Registered
12,714 Posts

It wasn't a joke? :eek:
No, I must have had my mind elsewhere or something because obviously I know that 6x9 = 48. :wink2:

·
Registered
12,714 Posts

Actually, I'm often surprised at how bad people are at simple mental arithmetic theses days. For example, I was in a museum cafe and the woman in front of me bought something and handed over a note that required the person on the till to deduct 5.5 from 10. He didn't know how to do it on the till and looked flummoxed so the woman told him how much change she needed. I knew what my sandwich and drink cost and also handed over a note and said you need to give me three fifty, or whatever it was, and he looked at me with a beaming smile and said, "You two are mathematical geniuses". :lol:

·
Registered
18,959 Posts

Actually, I'm often surprised at how bad people are at simple mental arithmetic theses days.
No, I must have had my mind elsewhere or something because obviously I know that 6x9 = 48. :wink2:
Of course you know that.

It can be shown that the product of any natural number and 9 has a digital sum that is a multiple of 9.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts

Actually, I'm often surprised at how bad people are at simple mental arithmetic theses days. For example, I was in a museum cafe and the woman in front of me bought something and handed over a note that required the person on the till to deduct 5.5 from 10. He didn't know how to do it on the till and looked flummoxed so the woman told him how much change she needed. I knew what my sandwich and drink cost and also handed over a note and said you need to give me three fifty, or whatever it was, and he looked at me with a beaming smile and said, "You two are mathematical geniuses". :lol:
I'm not. I've encountered it too often for that. Most people don't like mental arithmetic and never did. And since they don't need it, machines can do all the calculations better than the best human, there is no impetus to try to be better at it.

For your example I assumed it was a typo and that you meant 8x9 instead of 6x9. But most wouldn't see the error unless you specifically asked them to look for it, and even if you did a lot of people would struggle.

·
Administrator
62,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

8 songs nominated overnight :-

1 AdeyC
2 Haleptard
3 Mauriac
4 Sam L
5 Laurent Moy
6 Beat
7 TennisFan102
8 Sammo

·
Registered
12,714 Posts

I'm not. I've encountered it too often for that. Most people don't like mental arithmetic and never did. And since they don't need it, machines can do all the calculations better than the best human, there is no impetus to try to be better at it.

For your example I assumed it was a typo and that you meant 8x9 instead of 6x9. But most wouldn't see the error unless you specifically asked them to look for it, and even if you did a lot of people would struggle.
Sometimes it's quicker though to do things in your head. And what if you forget your electronic device or its battery dies?

It was either a typo or a brain fart, I don't know which. Obviously, I do know what 6x9 is, and without using a calculator (mental or electronic), as we said our 'times table' every day at primary school until it was indelibly printed on our memories.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts

Sometimes it's quicker though to do things in your head. And what if you forget your electronic device or its battery dies?

It was either a typo or a brain fart, I don't know which. Obviously, I do know what 6x9 is, and without using a calculator (mental or electronic), as we said our 'times table' every day at primary school until it was indelibly printed on our memories.
Well, you don't have to convince me. I can do stuff like 789*789 in my head, no problem (takes a bit of time, though). I never used my pocket calculator at school before we got to advanced functions. It was quicker doing it in my head since my typing wasn't the fastest nor the most error-proof (and we never had to do numbers as big as 789*789). But as said, for most it's just not worth the trouble trying to be better at it. The solution for the others at school was to ask someone with a functioning device, or if noone had any, ask me. Problem solved.

·
Chionophile
40,061 Posts

Well, you don't have to convince me. I can do stuff like 789*789 in my head, no problem (takes a bit of time, though). I never used my pocket calculator at school before we got to advanced functions. It was quicker doing it in my head since my typing wasn't the fastest nor the most error-proof (and we never had to do numbers as big as 789*789). But as said, for most it's just not worth the trouble trying to be better at it. The solution for the others at school was to ask someone with a functioning device, or if noone had any, ask me. Problem solved.

I did it on paper in about a minute and got the right answer. :bounce:

I still need Pietro as my maths tutor though. :crying2:

·
Administrator
62,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

11 songs nominated so far :

1 AdeyC
2 Haleptard
3 Mauriac
4 Sam L
5 Laurent Moy
6 Beat
7 TennisFan102
8 Sammo
9 Number19
10 The Crow
11 DropShotAce

·
Administrator
62,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

11 songs nominated so far :

1 AdeyC
2 Haleptard
3 Mauriac
4 Sam L
5 Laurent Moy
6 Beat
7 TennisFan102
8 Sammo
9 Number19
10 The Crow
11 DropShotAce