Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 262 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Morals: don't fix rules in the thread, because all the players don't necessarily read all the posts - especially over the last week with the bug problems that already explains the small number of players in this one.

On the other hand can we add rules to kick the assholes butts? Oh wait, we have them already. SB was banned several times after all. :x

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Songs Revealed - Post 93

Fuck no.
If one wants to add a wiki list to help participants, it is defined as a helpful link, usually accomanied by the words "you can get the idea from this wiki list". But this was obviously not the case here.
My theme is Post Punk. A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible.

Where do you read here that the second line implies that only songs of the wiki list are eligible? It's really interesting to know if you can admit to be wrong. It tells a lot about reading abilities, or your struggle to swallow your own arrogance back.

1) My theme is Post Punk.

Fine.

2) A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible

Fine.

Points taken: you have to send a post punk song. All post punk songs from the wiki list are eligible.

Means: you can send any song from artists of that list. Doesn't mean: YOU HAVE TO send any song from artists from that list.

If you read "YOU HAVE TO", you twist it.

NOWHERE the second line is supposed to mean more than what it means.

Point nowhere to be taken: you CANNOT send a post-punk song that is not on the wiki list.

Only later in the thread, it was specified to send only songs from the wiki list. And thing is, it was specified FOR A REASON. Now that's a FACT for you, fake fact farter!

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Theme chooser allowed any post-punk song. The problem is, there are fusions theme picker should not allow. And people MANAGED to submit few acts. Hence, 0 points, Despite being on "shitty-wiki" link. I found 14 beatable songs and will be hard to leave few of them without points.

·
Administrator
65,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

Calm down guys.

I'll PM Mauriac and see what his take is on this.

·
Registered
30,289 Posts

My theme is Post Punk. A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible.

Where do you read here that the second line implies that only songs of the wiki list are eligible? It's really interesting to know if you can admit to be wrong. It tells a lot about reading abilities, or your struggle to swallow your own arrogance back.

1) My theme is Post Punk.

Fine.

2) A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible

Fine.

Points taken: you have to send a post punk song. All post punk songs from the wiki list are eligible.

Means: you can send any song from artists of that list. Doesn't mean: YOU HAVE TO send any song from artists from that list.

If you read "YOU HAVE TO", you twist it.

NOWHERE the second line is supposed to mean more than what it means.

Point nowhere to be taken: you CANNOT send a post-punk song that is not on the wiki list.

Only later in the thread, it was specified to send only songs from the wiki list. And thing is, it was specified FOR A REASON. Now that's a FACT for you, fake fact farter!
You can scream all you want, but it won't change the fact that you were wrong.

·
Registered
30,289 Posts

Calm down guys.

He has made it very clear what his take is. He can't change his mind now after the deadline. Luckily, there is enough time (10 days) left to vote and the two songs can be changed easily. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts

Calm down guys.

He has made it very clear what his take is. He can't change his mind now after the deadline. Luckily, there is enough time (10 days) left to vote and the two songs can be changed easily. :yeah:
It is too late. I already listened to the tracks, commented them, and sent my ratings this morning.

·
***** Emeritus
41,645 Posts

I agree with Silent Bird :bigcry:

Hugues, I see your point, but it's clear that Mauriac didn't add the sentence about the wiki-list "as a suggestion", because in that case he would have clearly said so. I agree that he could have made it clearer :eek:h: , but it was asked in the thread and if I hadn't been sure sure I would have asked in the thread as well.

·
***** Emeritus
41,645 Posts

And I never get this "I'm excused for not sending an elegible song, because I'm not supposed to read the whole thread." :shrug: I mean, this is a forum and the idea is that we read eachother posts in threads that we are interested in, no? Not saying it couldn't happen to me :eek:h: but using it as an excuse?

·
***** Emeritus
41,645 Posts

And I came here to do reviews, but I think I'll wait a couple of days :D

·
Registered
30,289 Posts

It is too late. I already listened to the tracks, commented them, and sent my ratings this morning.
Do you expect the whole world to attune to your ignorance? You'll have 10 days to re-listen, re-send and re-think your dreadful attitude.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts

Just downvote the song, why all the fuss.

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts

I agree with Silent Bird :bigcry:

Hugues, I see your point, but it's clear that Mauriac didn't add the sentence about the wiki-list "as a suggestion", because in that case he would have clearly said so.
I'm curious to understand your logic of reading more something than another when nothing else is said. To not read a restriction in this case is by far the most logical move.

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts

Do you expect the whole world to attune to your ignorance? You'll have 10 days to re-listen, re-send and re-think your dreadful attitude.
Do you expect the whole world to attune to your pettiness? Y'all have to accept two post-punk songs that aren't on the wiki list. The theme is post-punk and those two songs ARE post-punk.

Mauriac's initial care was that the theme had to be respected. It was. That was the logic behind the wiki list apparently. To be sure nobody would submit unfitting songs to the genre.

I'm sorry, no matter what was added in the thread, the theme is not "WIKI POST-PUNK".

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts

And I never get this "I'm excused for not sending an elegible song, because I'm not supposed to read the whole thread." :shrug: I mean, this is a forum and the idea is that we read eachother posts in threads that we are interested in, no? Not saying it couldn't happen to me :eek:h: but using it as an excuse?
An excuse to what? To not accept a mess? Is it written WIKI POST-PUNK? No? So what? Why the fuss? Enjoy the post-punk songs or do your fascist duty. Seriously. :rolleyes:

The narrative about having to read each other is quite funny to hear, I have to admit. Let's dig the irony.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

I'm curious to understand your logic of reading more something than another when nothing else is said. To not read a restriction in this case is by far the most logical move.
But tbh I think many (if not most of us) understood the same thing. That's why there was a whole debate early on with Mauriac about what he defined as post-punk and why he chose to limit it to a Wikipedia list (that could have very well been edited in the meanwhile) and a long discussion about whether U2 have made post-punk in their careers or not - the list is limited mostly to UK and US acts, going for acts that have marginally made music in the genre e.g. Thompson Twins.

I, for one, understood it as a restriction and not a suggestion because Mauriac never said he "suggested" to pick an act from the list but seemed to ask to downright do it - I believe that was the same for Joris considering his post. Pretty much every post until #50 or so pretty much confirmed that in my eyes. If I didn't believe it was a restriction, I would have chosen an entirely different act, you can be sure about that.

I also think we can take much more themes as an Open game if we take take not-using restrictive terms like "only" or "have to" in the theme description as mere suggestions - let's not open the door to disingenuous readings. Mauriac said "My theme is Post Punk. A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible." - by that stance then I can say he didn't define Britney Spears as an ineligible act because he never said it's only post-punk acts.

·
Premium Member
38,674 Posts

But tbh I think many (if not most of us) understood the same thing. That's why there was a whole debate early on with Mauriac about what he defined as post-punk and why he chose to limit it to a Wikipedia list (that could have very well been edited in the meanwhile) and a long discussion about whether U2 have made post-punk in their careers or not - the list is limited mostly to UK and US acts, going for acts that have marginally made music in the genre e.g. Thompson Twins.

I, for one, understood it as a restriction and not a suggestion because Mauriac never said he "suggested" to pick an act from the list but seemed to ask to downright do it - I believe that was the same for Joris considering his post. Pretty much every post until #50 or so pretty much confirmed that in my eyes. If I didn't believe it was a restriction, I would have chosen an entirely different act, you can be sure about that.

I also think we can take much more themes as an Open game if we take take not-using restrictive terms like "only" or "have to" in the theme description as mere suggestions - let's not open the door to disingenuous readings. Mauriac said "My theme is Post Punk. A song by any artist on the Wikipedia list of Post Punk Artists is eligible." - by that stance then I can say he didn't define Britney Spears as an ineligible act because he never said it's only post-punk acts.
So now my reading is disingenuous! :lol:

Come on... I can't believe everybody would read a restriction that is not specified. That makes three of you at any rate. Pretty worrying if you ask me... and I'm not disingenuous in any way.

Why the fact to add "a song by any artists on the wikipedia list is eligible" should be more a restriction than a bonus? What kind of open mind is this? :D

Really, it never occured to me it could be a restriction. Probably because I don't see any logic in such restriction since it's first about sending a post-punk song... Sorry for being a logical person. :cuckoo:

Seriously, if the challenge is to stick to a wiki list, which is then totally restrictive, then call it WIKI POST-PUNK. That may sound ridiculous, but it's the right purpose. And I still hear SB singing about this game being only about the music. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

I believe it's more than three of us considering more posters chimed in about the theme when the thread was opened.

Anyway, the decision is Mauriac's to take and it's pointless to continue babbling about it. And he did use the word "restriction" in other posts :eek:h:

141 - 160 of 262 Posts