Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
13,633 Posts
Re: The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 274 – Post Punk - Nominate!!!!!!!!!

I wish you didn't restrict the game to the artists on the wiki list, because many obscure or foreign bands don't even have wiki pages.

The wiki list could have been left as a helpful guide only.
I know what you mean but people often go completely outside the theme as it is If they ere given free rein we would get all sorts of things nothing to do with post punk. It's hard to strike the right balance but if it's not too late I'm willing to scrap the restriction if most people want that.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

If you can name a second song, I give in ;)
I Will Follow.

Boy and War are pretty post-punk heavy albums, if you ask me (and far from my favorites of the genre but that's another question). It's with The Unforgettable Fire that they became a standard stadium rock act.

·
Registered
30,289 Posts

I know what you mean but people often go completely outside the theme as it is If they ere given free rein we would get all sorts of things nothing to do with post punk. It's hard to strike the right balance but if it's not too late I'm willing to scrap the restriction if most people want that.
Tbh, I haven't checked the list yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there is enough to select from. I just sucks that people like U2 are there. :help:

·
Registered
13,633 Posts

Tbh, I haven't checked the list yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there is enough to select from. I just sucks that people like U2 are there. :help:
You do wonder at the judgement of some of the people who make these lists.

·
Registered
36,077 Posts

i hate U2 so much, but yeah, the early stuff in certainly in line with other bands on that list :shrug: certainly they fit the bill as well as thompson twins. :lol:

i'm torn. on the one hand, i also wish we would not have to pick from a list and could jut go and explore the genre ourselves, like for example with the garage rock game. on the other hand, this way at least we won't have discussions about what fits and what not fits the theme (as we always have with genre games) and the list seems long enough, as joris says. do what you feel best about, dear mauriac.

·
***** Emeritus
41,645 Posts

I Will Follow.

Boy and War are pretty post-punk heavy albums, if you ask me (and far from my favorites of the genre but that's another question). It's with The Unforgettable Fire that they became a standard stadium rock act.
I think you exposed me as non-U2-connaisseur ;) But, I'm not sure if I completely agree (from what I know): U2 has always been pretty straightforward rock/pop to me. One definition of post punk I read was "denoting a style of rock music inspired by punk but less aggressive in performance and musically more experimental." :tape:

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts

It was so unfair when I chose Kings of Leon for garage rock game and got bad reviews even though they are garage rock and they were listed on the list in the thread! How unfair is that?

Post Punk, what is right? what is wrong? I don't want to be unfairly treated again. I want to know who is good to pick...

·
Registered
12,219 Posts

I think you exposed me as non-U2-connaisseur ;) But, I'm not sure if I completely agree (from what I know): U2 has always been pretty straightforward rock/pop to me. One definition of post punk I read was "denoting a style of rock music inspired by punk but less aggressive in performance and musically more experimental." :tape:
Funny you should say that, I noticed yesterday most of their 90s albums are labeled "Pop Rock, Experimental".

·
Registered
12,219 Posts

It was so unfair when I chose Kings of Leon for garage rock game and got bad reviews even though they are garage rock and they were listed on the list in the thread! How unfair is that?

Post Punk, what is right? what is wrong? I don't want to be unfairly treated again. I want to know who is good to pick...
I wish you luck :hug:

·
Registered
30,289 Posts

·
Registered
13,633 Posts

i hate U2 so much, but yeah, the early stuff in certainly in line with other bands on that list :shrug: certainly they fit the bill as well as thompson twins. :lol:

i'm torn. on the one hand, i also wish we would not have to pick from a list and could jut go and explore the genre ourselves, like for example with the garage rock game. on the other hand, this way at least we won't have discussions about what fits and what not fits the theme (as we always have with genre games) and the list seems long enough, as joris says. do what you feel best about, dear mauriac.
It's tricky but I think few people will have sent by now and I don't want to cause Adey any additional work. Although the list has quite a few bands that have been done to death on here and some that we might feel shouldn't be on there at all, there are also a lot that don't fall into either category so I think it is best to leave things as thy are.

I waan't expecting to win so I wasn't prepared with a category. I will try to think of a better one to have ready in case I win again.

·
Registered
36,077 Posts

@AdeyC looking for a song for this game, i noticed that the "used songs" list mentions two songs by The Psychadelic Furs, but it's The Psychedelic Furs.

·
***** Emeritus
41,645 Posts

It's tricky but I think few people will have sent by now and I don't want to cause Adey any additional work. Although the list has quite a few bands that have been done to death on here and some that we might feel shouldn't be on there at all, there are also a lot that don't fall into either category so I think it is best to leave things as thy are.

I waan't expecting to win so I wasn't prepared with a category. I will try to think of a better one to have ready in case I win again.
It's a fine category, Mauriac.

·
Registered
13,633 Posts

It's a fine category, Mauriac.
Thanks. A lot of it is my type of music bur it't not a very original theme. :)

·
Administrator
65,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

@AdeyC looking for a song for this game, i noticed that the "used songs" list mentions two songs by The Psychadelic Furs, but it's The Psychedelic Furs.
Amended - it will show in next upload :yeah:

·
Administrator
65,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

4 songs nominated overnight :

1 Mauriac
2 AdeyC
3 Laurent Moy
4 Owl-on-speed

·
***** Emeritus
41,645 Posts

Just went through my list and more than 10 songs apply directly. So this is like an open game for me.

I have one great option, but Owl-on-speed would hate me (even more) :angel: So, I'll probably end up choosing something else.

41 - 60 of 262 Posts