Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Played 1 match at the French Open and went home the next day.
Never seen since.
Will show up at Wimbledon for another match, then head home to wait for the US Open.
Talking about taking a break.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: The case of Townsend

Yes she only plays USA ITFs squashing girls with college level which is enough to get a ranking good enough to collect the R1 Slam paycheck. You'd need Elo as a Ranking system or something so she would barely get any benefit from winning against Kayla Day and Emma Navarro and 15yo Coco Gauff

·
Banned
15,175 Posts

Gorl bye! :bigwave:

Reactions: BlueTrees

·
Registered
28,441 Posts

Her schedule has always been so weird. She should play more in general, and more out of USA

·
Registered
35,862 Posts

After years of this ridiculous schedule, I've stopped trying to analyze it. She probably doesn't enjoy being a professional player and the lifestyle that goes with it, but is also aware she's not going to clear $200K+ a year doing anything else, so she plays as little as possible and as much at home as possible to stay in the Top 100. It's an incredible waste of talent, but it's her choice and her life.

·
Registered
798 Posts

Another example is Kumkhum (playing only from Strasbourg to Wimbledon in Europe), who is now a WC at Wimbledon :lol:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

She'll play that American World Team Tennis thing in between.

She'll probably have to play more ITFs before the end of the year to keep up her current strategy, she hasn't done enough so far this year.

·
Registered
115,438 Posts

This is a very difficult job and expecting everyone to give their whole life to it is asking a lot.
There was a Russian player who would win 10ls in Egypt. She married a guy from there and didnt want to travel the tour, but was still good enough to dominate the local ITF events

Each person is different and not everyone wants th revolve every aspect of their life around the tour

·
Registered
740 Posts

This is a very difficult job and expecting everyone to give their whole life to it is asking a lot.
There was a Russian player who would win 10ls in Egypt. She married a guy from there and didnt want to travel the tour, but was still good enough to dominate the local ITF events

Each person is different and not everyone wants th revolve every aspect of their life around the tour
I agree and the other thing is that nobody know Taylor personally. So, we really don't know what's in her mind and why she has the schedule she has. People have disagreed with me on this, but I've always felt that if Taylor didn't leave the US much, it was due to financial reason. I'm not sure how well she's covered by her sponsors and she was never an USTA favourite. I don't think she could be like a Fanny Stollar who lose 1st round at almost every tournament and still trek around the world. Staying in the US does work out cheaper. Maybe that's also why she doesn't have a proper coach and use Donald Young's father.

Also, the constant travelling of a player is hard. I don't know how much she makes playing just in the US, but if it allows her to live decently, I wouldn't see the point of grinding. Also, in her youth, she was lambasted over her weight. Some of the comments I've seen were pretty cruel. It might have affected her more than we thought. She might not have that confidence/ strength of character to travel by herself day in/day out.

I hope she's getting some sort of education on the side too though. A tennis career is very short.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts

That was Fokina right?!

Reactions: goldenlox

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Tbh this sounds quite a clever strategy, albeit slightly cynical. As long as she can harvest the itf points to maintain direct entry to the Slams, she can make a fair income.

Whatever works...

·
Registered
34,283 Posts

Well, someone should ask her about that if we want a real answer, but maybe as some say, she sees tennis like a job more than a passion.
She has been playing almost all her life , so she could be tired of it but attached as it is the thing she does the best, plus it allows her a good life now and for her future.

Other options is that she is too attached to her family, etc. and prefers to stay near. Tour life must be harder than we imagine especially if you are not a top, top player.

If she is happy, it's more than fine; I think wta needs more people with funny, variety and creative game like hers :worship:

·
Your fav could never....
9,163 Posts

Are you referring to Galina Fokina?

1 - 20 of 219 Posts