Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one subject people really tryto avoid talking about in womens sport..but I gotta ask.....how much does it effect a players performance? And does it explain why we see in womens tennis one player who is way better be outclassed by a lesser player?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I think if men didn’t win as much free points on their serve, we would see something similar in strange results on who’s having a better day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If women are affected in their the day to day jobs, athletes are no different. Some women become lethargic, others struggle with cramps- there is no denying that for some women on the day they are not always able to perform to their full potential.

That being said, big tournaments become a luck of the draw. At some point everyone is affected so it evens out in the long run.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If women are affected in their the day to day jobs, athletes are no different. Some women become lethargic, others struggle with cramps- there is no denying that for some women on the day they are not always able to perform to their full potential.

That being said, big tournaments become a luck of the draw. At some point everyone is affected so it evens out in the long run.
As a man I obviously i have no clue. But if someone become lethargic or feel drained physically then it has major effect on the day. Small margins make huge difference in tennis

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
didn't Petra's loss to Shelby Rogers at RG have something to do with her period?

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I think it is rude how some people think it's gamesmanship. For example, I can't be the only person who was listening to the commentary and booing during Sharapova's bathroom break. The male commentators were vicious. Granted, they were Australian and supported Barty (as did the booing crowd), but I wonder if it crossed their mind that she might be on her period.

Side note: Funnier is when Osaka took a break in the final and the SAME commentators said "She is taking a moment to regroup, calm her nerves".

Same thing happened at another big tournament after a girl took a bathroom break. This time, a female commentor said perhaps she actually DOES need this break. The man she enlightened was woke after that and dropped the subject.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
The one subject people really tryto avoid talking about in womens sport..but I gotta ask.....how much does it effect a players performance? And does it explain why we see in womens tennis one player who is way better be outclassed by a lesser player?
It does affect performance because it's normal to feel some cramps from the uterus and to mentally feel down at some point. However I wouldn't be surprised if some players, those playing the most events, don't get any periods at all. That's known to happen to elite athletes. The very skinny ones do certainly have an hormonal imbalance that cannot allow any period to occur every 28 days. Being pregnant is another way to get rid of the hormonal cycle. As a matter of fact, lots of Olympic athletes try their best to get pregnant just before the games so that they get a bit of a boost it give a woman and to be sure the periods won't interfere with their performances. That was proven to occur a lot in past Olympics, mostly behind the iron curtain, even with girls as young as 14 years old. Of course an abortion was secretly performed right after the games. Who knows, perhaps some players do get pregnant before a Slam on purpose.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I have heard that training the body at peak physical thresholds can cause women to have a reduced frequency of periods.

For example - an extreme case.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/dec/15/olympic-weightlifting-baby-elizabeth-poblete

But that begs the question how extreme is extreme? what percent if any are really placing their bodies under that duress? And back to the original post what of those who still experience regular periods?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
There are some contraceptives you can use to stop your periods for a while.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
didn't Petra's loss to Shelby Rogers at RG have something to do with her period?
Also her memorable loss against Janković at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Getting pregnant before the Olympics and then have the abortion afterwards:help::tape: just no words. Pregnancy could be worse than periods really. Nowadays there are ways to prevent having a period at a certain time, especially avoiding it during the Olympics (which are very rarely).

Tennis players can avoid periods during the slams, although it needs some calculation with the weeks etc (I'm not too bored to do that, but anyone can count 3 weeks + 1 week for period). Of course it would mean they'd have to use some method of birth control. If not that it's possible to use morning after pill which will start the period on the day one takes it (but I hope no one does it for that reason).

If some important competition gets ruined by a period, then poor preparation by the professional athlete:shrug:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm not a profesional tennis player but I guess at that level any minimal physical change can affect your performance. So yes, I'm sure it can be a factor. It depends on the woman too. Some have mild periods with barely any pain and no significant tiredness or any other additional symptons. Others may not be so lucky and will get their performance more affected. It depends on the month too. Your own periods can differ from one month to another.

I guess some players take the pill or get other treatments to alter their periods. Some may just take painkillers. Others may prefer to just go through it without medication to avoid side effects. I don't know really. No woman is the same so I guess each of them just does whatever works better for them. :shrug:

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Getting pregnant before the Olympics and then have the abortion afterwards:help::tape: just no words. Pregnancy could be worse than periods really. Nowadays there are ways to prevent having a period at a certain time, especially avoiding it during the Olympics (which are very rarely).
It's called abortion doping.

Hormonal and other changes in pregnancy affect physical performance. In the first three months it is known that a woman’s body produces a natural surplus of red blood cells, which are well supplied with oxygen-carrying hemoglobin, in order to support the growing fetus. Other potential advantages are obtained from the surge in hormones that pregnancy induces, predominantly progesterone and estrogen, but also testosterone, which could increase muscle strength. Increases in hormones like relaxin, which loosens the hip joints to prepare for childbirth, may have a performance-enhancing effect on joint mobility. However it is also argued that the advantages would be outweighed by the drawbacks of morning sickness and fatigue, both of which are common in early pregnancy.
Western media outlets began accusing Soviet countries of abortion doping as early as the 1956 Summer Olympics, and allegations were raised again at the 1964 Summer Olympics. Rumours of abortion doping continued throughout the 1970s and 1980s, predominately aimed at East German athletes.
In 1994, Olga Karasyova, who won a Gold medal in gymnastics at the 1968 Summer Olympics, was reported to have given an interview with German television station RTL Television as well as a Russian newspaper. The interviews quoted her as stating that abortion doping was widespread among Soviet athletes in the 1970s, and that girls as young as 14 were being forced to have sex with their coaches. Karasyova, however, later said the person who had given the interviews was an imposter, and she successfully sued the Russian newspaper for defamation. Despite her legal victory, the original interviews attributed to her continue to be reported as facts by some third parties.
While abortion doping is officially banned under United States Olympic rules, there is no ban on getting pregnant. If an athlete was accused of abortion doping, she could simply argue that the pregnancy was not induced for the temporary physiological benefits. The procedure was determined not to be illegal by the IOC

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah, there are versions of oral contraceptives that allow you to have a period only once a year. You can also "piggyback" monthly pills by not taking days off. That said, for some women, these options create their own side effects, which make them unfeasible.

And yes. The physiological impacts of menstruation undoubtedly impact performance.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
I think it is rude how some people think it's gamesmanship. For example, I can't be the only person who was listening to the commentary and booing during Sharapova's bathroom break. The male commentators were vicious. Granted, they were Australian and supported Barty (as did the booing crowd), but I wonder if it crossed their mind that she might be on her period.

Side note: Funnier is when Osaka took a break in the final and the SAME commentators said "She is taking a moment to regroup, calm her nerves".

Same thing happened at another big tournament after a girl took a bathroom break. This time, a female commentor said perhaps she actually DOES need this break. The man she enlightened was woke after that and dropped the subject.
crap. I guess Navratilova and Evert are not women. They never took bathroom breaks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts