Tennis Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Can we take a moment to give Mackie Shilstone the highest of props tho?? I mean, our girl legit lost 10 pounds since the French!! I think that if she could get back into US Open 2012 or RG 2013 shape, she will win her 4 more slams and be a happy camper.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
Just remember 17 slams and 4 Gold Medals :) With all she's been through, never thought she would reach that number :shrug:
After 2006 I said to myself that as a fan I would be over the moon if she finished her career with 13-15 slams. She's already surpassed that. She's pretty much 33 and if she is going to decline rapidly now that's still more slams and more tennis than I thought I'd she get to and I'm still very satisfied with what everything she's accomplished.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Just remember 17 slams and 4 Gold Medals :) With all she's been through, never thought she would reach that number :shrug:
So true. I've been a Serena fan since she turned pro and she has had a remarkable career and makes her fans proud every time she goes out there to compete. The fact that she is the #1 player in the world at her age and after what she has overcome is amazing. I'd never question another person's fandom, but I think some Serena fans need to realize just how fortunate we are to be Serena's fans. Do losses like yesterday hurt? Sure, especially when she doesn't play up to her ability. However, I ask people who would you rather root for? Players like Cornet who will probably get bounced in the next round in straight sets and who's career highlights are a couple of wins against Serena, or Serena? I'd take Serena every time. Players like Cornet play to get to the quarters, Serena plays for slams and wins slams. Serena is playing with house money at this point in her career so everyone needs to just relax. Even if she doesn't win another match she will go down as one of the greatest of all time which is awesome. Serena's greatness has spoiled us as fans. We expect her to win every match and act like the sky is falling when she loses. Serena has work to do but I think people underestimate how much pressure she feels to tie Chris and Martina. I felt like coming into this season this would be her greatest challenge mentally which has turned out to be true but as long as she keeps playing I will rooting for her and believing that she will tie and beat Chris and Martina.

·
Registered
15,380 Posts
Very true. She definitely finished with more than I ever thought. For me its enough, but for her its not, and to know its mental and not physical really sucks because she still has the game to win majors, but whatever is going on between the ears must be fixed. I still have faith in our Queen tho. So lets try and get up again to see if she can get #18 at the US Open.

·
Registered
15,380 Posts
Just preparing y'all, my fellow soliders.

Be ready for the most dramatic US Open in history.
Couldn't possibly be as dramatic as those other 2 times with Clijsters and hindrance crap with Stosur. She needs to keep it together. This is very disheartening as part of her legacy that she's becoming a freaking punk on court.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Couldn't possibly be as dramatic as those other 2 times with Clijsters and hindrance crap with Stosur. She needs to keep it together. This is very disheartening as part of her legacy that she's becoming a freaking punk on court.
Hmmm...that's is very true. Although, I'm thinking dramatic in terms of her matches. Potentially some crazy 3-setters as we watch her exorcise whatever mental demons have taken residence in her brain. It should be really fun to watch....as long as she wins the whole thing.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Can we take a moment to give Mackie Shilstone the highest of props tho?? I mean, our girl legit lost 10 pounds since the French!! I think that if she could get back into US Open 2012 or RG 2013 shape, she will win her 4 more slams and be a happy camper.
Physically, she lost weight. :) Mentally, she gained nerves. :(

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
This is a good thread. I'm over Serena's loss and it's time for me to support them as long as their in the doubles, and then move on to the hard court season.

Serena will definitely be okay. She's experienced losses like this before and has always came back. I see no reason why this won't be the same. One good thing we know is that she's not injured. ;)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It's all mental with her nowadays. She really needs to learn how to deal with her recent nerves better. She showed that she was clearly able to win this match in that first set and during some patches in the third set, where she, all of a sudden, struck the ball precisely and hard and won the points aggressively. Most of the time, she was just hitting it way too central or very passively.
All that not because she couldn't play better, but because she mentally collapsed. Work on your confidence and you'll might win another major, Serena. Play yourself into some winning form and show them why they should never write you off.

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
So true. I've been a Serena fan since she turned pro and she has had a remarkable career and makes her fans proud every time she goes out there to compete. The fact that she is the #1 player in the world at her age and after what she has overcome is amazing. I'd never question another person's fandom, but I think some Serena fans need to realize just how fortunate we are to be Serena's fans. Do losses like yesterday hurt? Sure, especially when she doesn't play up to her ability. However, I ask people who would you rather root for? Players like Cornet who will probably get bounced in the next round in straight sets and who's career highlights are a couple of wins against Serena, or Serena? I'd take Serena every time. Players like Cornet play to get to the quarters, Serena plays for slams and wins slams. Serena is playing with house money at this point in her career so everyone needs to just relax. Even if she doesn't win another match she will go down as one of the greatest of all time which is awesome. Serena's greatness has spoiled us as fans. We expect her to win every match and act like the sky is falling when she loses. Serena has work to do but I think people underestimate how much pressure she feels to tie Chris and Martina. I felt like coming into this season this would be her greatest challenge mentally which has turned out to be true but as long as she keeps playing I will rooting for her and believing that she will tie and beat Chris and Martina.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It's not even the losses, it's the way she's losing. She played like a pushing junior in her losses.
That's what has been hurting the most about her losses. But it makes me appreciate Serena much more. She's awesome and it takes a whole lot to be and to do what she's done her whole career let alone the last few years.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
This is a good thread. I'm over Serena's loss and it's time for me to support them as long as their in the doubles, and then move on to the hard court season.

Serena will definitely be okay. She's experienced losses like this before and has always came back. I see no reason why this won't be the same. One good thing we know is that she's not injured. ;)
When ?
You cant compare this year to 2006 , the circumstances were different .
This year is the worst in terms of GSs results since the beginning of her career .

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The problem is truly mental and mental only. The nerves paralyze her at Slams this year (I don't count AO, she was badly injured). It's not like we have experienced this Serena EVER. The pressure on her is enormous and she is feeling it. She tends to play much better in smaller tournaments where she faces much better opponents from R1, she's able to control her nerves and stay focused but when the Slam comes she's all over the place. At FO she was so nervous she couldn't make a single shot, looked better at Wimby in the first 2 rounds (but believe me it took a lot of her to stay in control of her mind even at these). I saw how she almost lost it during a changeover in the first round already, her cry face was evident for no reason at all. She came to the 3rd round, played good first set winning 6-1, this normally would give her confidence to continue and feel calm but she started panicking as soon as second set started, again for no reason. She was breathing so heavily during this match almost like she was having a panic attack. With nerves taking over, all her shots were gone, no serve, no ground game, no return and that was the end. She has to find solution how to control her nerves and push pressure away, maybe she will need professional help with this but I hope and pray to God she will find the solution and overcome it. If she can do it at USO, she will be perfectly fine and next year should be a breeze.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheering our girl gets her shit together real soon!! I miss the fighter so much. Please let me see that side of you one more time at a slam before you walk away from the game. ROOTING and CHEERING Serena to find serenity on court soon..

1241 - 1260 of 1276 Posts