1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Books

Biographies

Group Biographies

Gallery of Champions, by Helen Jacobs. 1948*
[chapters on 15 female champions that Helen Jacobs played against. She even ranks them]

Suzanne Lenglen

The Goddess and the American Girl: The Story of Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills. Larry Englemann. 1988.*

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Does anyone know if the Boston Globe is available online?
You can search their archives:

The Boston Globe Archives

Pricing is as listed, with a free access deal with a BG subscription. One of my archives includes it back to 1980. If you're talking about totally free access, once in a while an institution "leaves its door unlocked" so to speak, but it is usually called to their attention fairly quickly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great idea to have a list of sources available for research(ers). The tricky part is that there are so many sources that for any list to be useful it needs a well-structured set of (sub)categories otherwise it becomes a long amorphous blob.

Some suggestions.

Books:
Yearbooks
Encyclopedias
History
(Auto)biographies

Online:
General
Tournaments
Halls of fame
Photography archives
Newspaper archives

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can search their archives:

The Boston Globe Archives

Pricing is as listed, with a free access deal with a BG subscription. One of my archives includes it back to 1980. If you're talking about totally free access, once in a while an institution "leaves its door unlocked" so to speak, but it is usually called to their attention fairly quickly.
Thanks Mrs A! What papers do you have access to? I'm thinking perhaps our Source List can include people and things they have access to.

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea to have a list of sources available for research(ers). The tricky part is that there are so many sources that for any list to be useful it needs a well-structured set of (sub)categories otherwise it becomes a long amorphous blob.

Some suggestions.

Books:
Yearbooks
Encyclopedias
History
(Auto)biographies

Online:
General
Tournaments
Halls of fame
Photography archives
Newspaper archives
Love it Wolbo! Your idea provides much needed structure. Are there other categories we could add? Once the categories get set I can relaunch the thread in a more organized fashion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Rollo, perhaps we will come across other categories later but these should probably cover most sources.

These are some of the online sources that I have used for tennis research:

Photos
* National Library of Australia
* State Library of New South Wales
* State Library of Victoria
* digitalNZ - New Zealand
* Gallica - France
* Nationaal Archief - Netherlands
* Library of Congress - Bain Collection
* New York Public Library
* Europeana

Newspapers / magazines
* Fulton - USA & Canada
* Illinois State
* Delpher - Netherlands
* ANNO - Austria
* SI Vault - Sports Illustrated
* Trove - Australia
* Papers Past - New Zealand
* Kramerius - Czechoslovakia
* LA84 - LA84 Foundation

Halls of Fame
* Australian Tennis Hall of Fame

·
Registered
371 Posts
Listing all tennis books is perhaps a step too far for this thread but it is worth mentioning that new editions of two major sources for tennis research have been published recently.

The Bud Collins History of Tennis (Third edition, December 2016)
Tennis – A Cultural History by Heiner Gillmeister (Second edition, February 2017)

Both books are in my opinion a must have for tennis fans interested in the history of the game.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts