Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
well i may be reading too much into this, but i'm thinking that's what you're hoping :tape:
jk, jk :lol:
no, i don't believe in it for tennis... other sports, it's more eerie.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I don't believe ithe Sports Illustrated cover jinx. What Maria has to do is try to make her hardcourt game as good as her grass court game is. Right now Masha is better player grass court player than hard court player and her record backs that up. But I hope she can close the gap this summer and lift her hard court game where it approaches her grass court game.

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
faboozadoo15 said:
well i may be reading too much into this, but i'm thinking that's what you're hoping :tape:
jk, jk :lol:
no, i don't believe in it for tennis... other sports, it's more eerie.
:lol: To be honest, yes. With all my heart. :lol:

Why not tennis and why yes for other sports? I thought Serena was certainly jinxed after she appeared on it before the FO, after her AO win.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
naw the SI jinx has been disporven. Plus too many covers not everyone can be jinxed. Lance Armstrong comes on the cover like before every tour de france look at him, lol. Jordan's been on it enough times as well. The only curse that exists for you football fans out there. Is the Madden Video game curse. Since they have been putting players on the cover each has had horrible seasons that year. Eddie George (started his downfall), Daunte Culpepper (Huge INT total/ijuries), Faulk (injury), Vick (injury), Ray Lewis fans look out he is on the 05 cover.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
isn't the si jinx pretty prevalent in baseball, boxing, and racecar driving.
a lot of people have hit little slumps after their first si cover, but that's to be expected with trying to achieve even greater things, there are setbacks.

·
Banned
89 Posts
As long the Williams sisters don't win the US Open, I'll be happy.
(and mauresmo, but not too bothered about her)

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
nope.

susperstitions are for idiots.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
In my opinion only an idiot would believe in a "jinx".

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fingon said:
you are a little too obsessed with Maria I think.
Obessed? Isn't she the hot topic of the day? She just won Wimby. I think you're a little too paranoid, critical and defensive. Can't anyone who's not a fan talk about another athlete without there being an ulterior motive? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jacobruiz said:
In my opinion only an idiot would believe in a "jinx".
There must be a lot of idiots in the world of sports.

"Unraveling the Jinx

Posted: Tuesday January 15, 2002 5:13 PM
Updated: Tuesday January 15, 2002 5:49 PM

As years go, 2001 was a pretty good one for the Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx. Which is to say it was annus horribilis for Nomar Garciaparra, the Oregon State football team, Eric Crouch and the Washington Redskins, all of whom graced our cover and paid for it.

That's why I'm bracing to hear from the ASPCA.

See, I wrote this week's cover story, in which we conducted a thorough exploration of what happened to everyone who has appeared on our cover, from Eddie Mathews, on the inaugural issue in 1954, to Michael Jordan, who took his 51st turn last week just as his wife filed for divorce. To illustrate the story, we asked St. Louis Rams quarterback Kurt Warner to pose for the cover with a black cat. Only Warner refused, so the cat does a solo turn with the billing THE COVER THAT NO ONE WOULD POSE FOR.

It was a hoot to work on the piece. On the one hand, we listened as sober statisticians went over the basics of "regression to the mean," which would explain why a hitter who gets hot enough to make the cover goes into a slump shortly thereafter.

On the other hand, we heard from sports psychologist Jim Loehr, who believes that there is an SI Cover Jinx of sorts. Only he calls it "a failure to efficiently metabolize heightened expectations" or some such -- and he actually works with clients, including athletes such as Grant Hill, on this very matter.

In investigating virtually all of SI's 2,456 covers, we found 913 "jinxes" -- a demonstrable misfortune or decline in performance following a cover appearance roughly 37.2 percent of the time. One of the most fascinating things we discovered seemed to buttress Loehr's contention that the Jinx is more likely to strike athletes in fine-motor-skill sports like golf and tennis than smashmouth sports like boxing. Golfers were "jinxed" almost 70 percent of the time and tennis players after more than 50 percent of their appearances, while boxers suffered barely 16 percent of the time.

My favorite Jinxstance has to be the fate of University of Washington quarterback Bob Schloredt, an All-America who was pictured taking a snap on a 1960 cover. A week later, the heavily favored Huskies lost to Navy when the Middies scored in the final minutes following Schloredt's fumble of -- you guessed it -- a snap.

I'm still not sure why Warner declined our offer to put him on this week's cover. After all, he wears No. 13, and that number hasn't kept him from achieving stardom and winning a Super Bowl and two NFL MVP awards. What's more, Warner is as confirmed a Christian as there is in sports, and if you believe that your life is subject to a superior power, some dubious magazine hoodoo shouldn't give you a second thought.

But there you are. So we were left with our front-page feline, Mr. Ed, supplied by the agency Theatrical Animals. Mr. Ed knows his way in front of a camera -- he recently appeared in an episode of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch -- and maybe, in the course of doing that show, he learned a thing or two about spells and how to ward them off.

"The first cat we auditioned was totally black," says SI photo editor George Washington, who supervised the cover shoot. "It made me a little nervous. I was glad to see that Mr. Ed had a little white spot on his chest."

George may have been reassured. But all the cats I know will be steering clear of Mr. Ed's Tender Vittles bowl.

Sports Illustrated senior writer Alexander Wolff is the author of Big Game, Small World: A Basketball Adventure (Warner Books), available online and in stores everywhere. You can contact him at biggamesmallworld.com. "

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
I don't even think Maria would have won the USO regardless of the SI thing. And no I don't believe in the jinx either. (a little weird though)

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Well what Loehr says in the article that it's "a failure to efficiently metabolize heightened expectations".

No one really believes in the SI cover Jinx (well I hope so LOL) but it's clear there's going to be high expectations in the future for Sharapova and she might have problems dealing with that.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
jinx no, but curse well just ask boston or the cubs?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
ProudGeordie said:
As long the Williams sisters don't win the US Open, I'll be happy.
(and mauresmo, but not too bothered about her)
Stick around troll. We love to see ya crying.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
Ballbuster said:
Stick around troll. We love to see ya crying.
and we LOVED seeing you break down...
and we would have loved the absense of your posts (as previously promised by yourself), but some people are liars :tape:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts