·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code:
Maria Kirilenko January 25 1987    *2002 Us Open Champion*

1  Stephanie Cohen-Aloro - Kirilenko-WC                6-2 6-3    
     QF  Tamarine Tanasugarn(2) - Kirilenko-Q              7-6(6) 6-3    
     [COLOR=red]Qual 2  Dimana Krastevitch - Kirilenko                    6-4 7-6(5)[/COLOR] 
     F  Kirilenko - Sonya Jeyaseelan-Q                         6-3 6-0       W
     2  Alicia Molik(2) - Kirilenko-Q                              6-1 6-4     

Maria Sharapova April 19 1987    

1  Maja Matevzic - Sharapova-Q                           6-4 5-7 6-2
    1  Els Callens - Sharapova-WC                              7-6(3) 6-1    
    1  Samantha Reeves-Q - Sharapova-WC                 6-3 1-6 6-0
    [COLOR=red]1  Shenay Perry-WC - Sharapova                          6-4 6-3    [/COLOR]  
    1  Klara Koukalova-Q - Sharapova-Q                      6-4 7-6(6)    

Vera Douchevina [COLOR=red]October 6 1986[/COLOR] *2002 Wimbeldon Champion*

2  Justine Henin-Hardenne(4) - Douchevina-Q              6-3 6-2
QF  Karolina Sprem-Q - Douchevina-Q                         6-3 5-7 6-4
1  Julia Vakulenko - Douchevina-Q                              6-4 6-4    
[COLOR=red]QF  Anna Zaporozhanova - Douchevina(3)                    6-4 6-2    [/COLOR]  
Qual 1  Maja Matevzic(6) - Douchevina-WC                  4-6 6-4 6-4

Now, I think you'd agree that most teens would kill for these results
They show that they're no Martina Hingis, or even Venus Williams, but they're close. And especially since the game is so much tougher these days, so much deeper being a top 200 player at 15 and 16 and going up up up and quickly means that these chicks are serious. However, this is what gets me

Dinara Safina [SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]April 27 1986    [/COLOR]  [/SIZE]  

2  Ai Sugiyama(17) - Safina                            3-6 7-5 6-2
     1  Denisa Chladkova - Safina                           0-6 7-6(4) 7-6(2)
     1  Anastasia Myskina(5) - Safina-Q                   6-4 6-3
     QF  Anastasia Myskina(2) - Safina                     6-2 7-5    
     1  Katarina Srebotnik(32) - Safina                     3-6 6-3 6-3
Marat's lil'sis is playing with the big girls, and challenging them as well
And shes only a few months older than Vera.

While I've seen her play, it was her whitewashing from Serena at the Open, so that doesnt really count.

Now, Are We Going To Have A Russian Roulette, Or Is That Red Army Going To Be The Few And The Proud?

What I'm saying is, is Dinara that much better, or are the others that much less experienced?

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I just think being Marat's sister she has the money, the coaches, her bro to tell her what she is doing wrong... ESPECIALLY the money to play wherever, get great coaches, it makes a huge difference. that is how it is in the real world, and so many others are struggling financially. I just think they should worry not tp burn out, although it is tempting to win at such a young age.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Don't forget that several of the established WTA players are also 18 or under: Lena, Sveta, Vera Z.; and the oft-injured Nadya Petrova and Baby Blue Eyes :kiss: (Lina).

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rd878 said:
Don't forget that several of the established WTA players are also 18 or under: Lena, Sveta, Vera Z.; and the oft-injured Nadya Petrova and Baby Blue Eyes :kiss: (Lina).
I'm focusing more on the youngin's
obviously, Russia has the strongest field of anybody not named USA but im focusing more on the 2nd wave

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Da! The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming! :bounce: But they are coming slowly! ;) Female Russian tennis players take longer to develope.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Well i dont understand how you can be a 'Russian' fan and just cheer for all of them if you're not from that country. Its like saying you're an 'American' fan. Theres gotta be some you like and some you dont like. I just notice a lot of people cheer for random Russians they've never seen or know nothing about just because they're Russian. :eek:
I'm not referring to anyone in particular, just making a general statement.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
well i'm not russian but i cheer for most of the russians there are a couple i don't like such as panova and a few others. but i also like quite a few americans. at the moment us aussies don't have many home players to cheer for on the wta tour. i like them for their games and not their country most of the time. there are some aussie players i don't even like.

i think people besides cheering for players from your own country some people also cheer for players who's game they like. me well i do both but i also like to pick out some juniors and see how they go. i tend to prefer the younger players than the older ones i don't why but i find them more exciting probably because it is a new name rather than one i've been hearing of for a while. but i'm rambling so i'll just shut up now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts