Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was only in the early 70s that the rules were changed for serving such that a player no longer had to keep a foot on the ground during the service motion, as well as not break the plane of the baseline. While it didn't have much impact right away, that change, coupled with the advent of oversized frames has caused profound changes in the a game that was basically the same since the early 1920s. What rules and standards would you like to see in tennis, and don't limit yourself to returning to "the way it was", talk about new and uncharted changes that might make the sport better. Of course, my flag has always been a return to the standard size frame (make it out of jello if you like, but make it standard), however, I'd like to hear and discuss your ideas. Go ahead- open my mind...

·
Banned
170 Posts
alfajeffster said:
It was only in the early 70s that the rules were changed for serving such that a player no longer had to keep a foot on the ground during the service motion, as well as not break the plane of the baseline. While it didn't have much impact right away, that change, coupled with the advent of oversized frames has caused profound changes in the a game that was basically the same since the early 1920s. What rules and standards would you like to see in tennis, and don't limit yourself to returning to "the way it was", talk about new and uncharted changes that might make the sport better. Of course, my flag has always been a return to the standard size frame (make it out of jello if you like, but make it standard), however, I'd like to hear and discuss your ideas. Go ahead- open my mind...

Force players to use double-handed back- AND forehands!

Reactions: Helen Lawson

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PamShriver said:
Actually that rule change took place in approx. '59-60, not the early '70s.
Are you sure about that? Was it an individual Lawn Tennis Association decision to be made for a couple of years back then until the ILTF made it official with a few other sweeping changes called "open" tennis in 1968? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I do have a tendency to not be looking at the statistical detail as much as the actual affect on the game. None of my Maria Bueno footage shows her left foot leaving the court, and Margaret Court only begins doing it in 1970. Maybe it's just a case of players being trained to serve a certain way taking a few years to change their games, I don't know. Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts