Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ana Ivanovic.

Yes she's a bit more erratic, and a weaker serve and backhand, but she moves slightly better, and is a little easier on the eyes.

Will Ana be able to eek out a few more slams?

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
Who's Ivonovic? :lol:

Yes she might win a few more slams but she's not exactly the same player as Pierce IMO. She comes into the net a lot more.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who's Ivonovic? :lol:

Yes she might win a few more slams but she's not exactly the same player as Pierce IMO. She comes into the net a lot more.
I'm stumped who is she?

When Mary was working w/Kardon, she started venturing forward much more. If Ana could get her head out of her ass she could easily make her way back to top three.

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
Ana does have some similarities with Pierce.. and the fact that they have had the same coach (Sven Groeneveld, now Craig Kardon) helps it. But Ana uses more slices, goes to the net almost twice a game in every match..

Actually, for the past year, Ana has been a net rusher.. she is running foward even in moments she shouldn't.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
They have similiar games. Ana will probably develop more power on her groundstrokes in the future. I think Ana will win more slams. When the WS retire the grand slams will be open. Ana can take out everyone else in the field.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
I agree with that. Ana has all it takes to really be a very good player but mentally she just is a lot weaker than say the WS or Sharapova.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Next slam in 2013 followed by 2018 Wimbledon Mixed Doubles it is then :rocker2:

Just don't play Linz in 2019 Ana :unsure: :sad:

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
Ana does have some similarities with Pierce.. and the fact that they have had the same coach (Sven Groeneveld, now Craig Kardon) helps it. But Ana uses more slices, goes to the net almost twice a game in every match..

Actually, for the past year, Ana has been a net rusher.. she is running foward even in moments she shouldn't.
:tape: Don't remind me of those. She volleyed her best in Zurich and Linz last year IMO.

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
I agree with that. Ana has all it takes to really be a very good player but mentally she just is a lot weaker than say the WS or Sharapova.
Yes.. Ana really needs to develop her mental game.

But then again.. if we take out the Williams and Sharapova.. Ana is probably stronger in big ocasions than the russians or Jankovic... who else can get in the run for the slams in the future?

As Da Forehand said, Ana needs to get her head together first, and go back to playing well and improving her game.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope that Kardon is able to bring out the best in Ana, as the WTA needs someone like Ana playing at or near her best.

Ana has no in between game. It's either she's on and it's beautiful to watch or, yikes, let's see if there's a rerun of Different Strokes on.

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
:tape: Don't remind me of those. She volleyed her best in Zurich and Linz last year IMO.
Definitely.. Ana was great at the net in Zurich and Linz. So far this year she has gone to the net after terrible aproach shots... which leads to some horrible volleys.. when she actually goes after a good aproach shot, she does volley quite well..

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mary was also very good against lower ranked players, when she was playing well she handed out more bread than a soup kitchen, crushing early round opponents, then running into a top player and imploding.

·
Registered
19,560 Posts
Mary was also very good against lower ranked players, when she was playing well she handed out more bread than a soup kitchen, crushing early round opponents, then running into a top player and imploding.
Ana doesn't implode against top players but she does get breadsticked by early round opponents :tape: And she hasn't handed out a bagel since RG. :help: Though that was a double bagel :drool:

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
At that Ana and Mary are opposites then.. :lol:

Ana usually sucks against lower ranked opponents and gets fired up to play top players.. :lol:

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
shes not as clean a hitter as mary, but a bit faster. mary always gave the impression she was incontrol to (even if she wasn't), which ivanovic could learn, as sometimes she looks completely out of control both tennis and emotions wise.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
"They have similar games..." (?!)

As a tennis fan, and moreso, as a tennis player, I see comments like this and I want to cry. lol.

On the contrary, everything from their serve to their stroke production is VERY different.

·
Registered
18,049 Posts
I always thought that Ivanovic was more like Capriati, similar looks, woeful ball tosses, big groundies esp on the forehand side

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
If Ivanovic had even 1/4 of Pierce's talent she'd still be #1. Yes they might have a few abstract similarities if you look for them, but Ivanovic will never strike the ball as cleanly or as hard as Pierce!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts