Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. it did seem quite strange for Capriati not to play Indian Wells. I mean this would be her best chance to get some points since Venus would be absent. I was for sure she would show up, but now I know why. This is odd, because I have not heard anything about it whereas you hear about Venus and Serena not showing over and over.

Venus. Serena, JCap to Skip Indian Wells
Inside Tennis March 2002

It's the West Coast's Grand Slam, a Tier 1 WTA tournament and is one of the sweetest venues in tennis, but the U.S.'s top three female draws will skip the newly named Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells in March, leaving the women's side of the tournament without a marquee American. However, showstoppers Martina Hingis, Anna Kournikova, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin are scheduled to play.

The Williams sisters reasons for not playing are obvious, although neither woman would state her reason at press time. Last year, Venus and Serena were harshly booed after Venus pulled out of her semi against Serena with an injury just moments before it began. The lengthy, hostile reception the sisters received during the final was called "unfair" by both players and brought Serena to tears. Even though Serena won the event, she was clearly affected by the crowd and said last year that she might never come back to the locale, which is just two hours from where she grew up. "I really don't know what went on," Capriati said. "But you should give everyone the benefit of the doubt. That was a little harsh, the crowd booing her."

Capriati also is no fan of the desert, having lived there for a year during her dark period when she was burned out and off the tour. While there, she dated a rebellious high school basketball player and the relationship reportedly ended badly. While a source in the Capriati camp says that Jennifer is no longer affected by the experience, Capriati said, "There's more reasons behind this than I wish to comment on right now. I can't say that I won't ever play there. But for the time being, I don't have any plans on going out there."

The Floridian will play Scottsdale the week before Indian Wells and desires a week off before having to play Key Biscayne. "Scheduling wise, it's never been the best time for me," she said. Capriati could lose her No. 1 ranking to Venus in Indian Wells, but said that she still won't change her mind. "I figure that if I can play well enough in these other tournaments, I will make up the points.[Key Biscayne] is more important for me because it's in my hometown. Coming from Indian Wells, the time change, adjusting to the climate, the way the balls fly, it's just more difficult."

Hmmmm..... I wonder what are the reasons she's not saying? This is her best chance to get more points but it's obvious something happened. Also, this interview is strange. Capriati taking up for Serena?:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
You're right about the awkwardness of this situation. I'm thinking that there is something else going. I guess when you are the #1 player in the world (depending on the week), you can pick and choose.

On another note, Serena and JenCap seemed really chummy after Serena's win over Jen in Canada last year. Serena actually patted her on the shoulder and held a conversation with JenCap.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Jen's main reason was she did not want to compete for five straight weeks. If there are other reasons fine but it seems rather cut and dry to me.

Scottsdale, Indian Wells and Miami make for a long five weeks when you are playing well in to the later rounds of all the tournaments.

Cap wants to be fresher for Miami and I don't see anything wrong with that.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
she dated a rebellious high school basketball player and the relationship reportedly ended badly
that's really disturbing that they know so much, don't you think?

·
10,772 Posts
venusrocks - whether that is true or not, I think it'd be more sensitive to delete or edit that post before lots more people see that ...

it's not really fair do you think

·
Registered
626 Posts
i have to give this to her...

there were so many stories written about last year's IW final. this is the first report I have seen where another player has come out and said that what went on there was wrong .

i know hingis was asked about it and she blew it off. i don't remember lindsay's comments.

anyway kudos to jennifer for telling like it is.......

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That is cool that the William Sisters withdrew and Jenny ( and I think Lindsay?) because it opens up the title for the other players escpecially my fave , JELENA DOKIC! She should be seeded high and should get a good draw and lots of points to gain, I think only Hingis, Henin ,Clijsters, and Seles and Dokic are the only top players ( sorry if I forgot someone) Wish Luck to Dokic, and Mirjana Lucic, we miss you girl come back strong!!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
This tournament is so gonna suck without Venus,Serena,and Jenn. :sad:

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Looks to me like Jenn's reasons for avoiding the area might be a like Monica's. Not as severe of course, but it sure sounds like a period of her life she has no current need to re-visit occurred out that way. It sucks for the overall quality of the tennis. But in their absence and Lindsay's, it gives a more of a chance for a big win to some other high profile players. Players who the fans already know, but who could use some prime time exposure.

The GS finals are the big stage. That's why casual fans fans know Clijsters and Henin better than Dokic, though Dokic actually has a better career record so far (2 Tier I's). But Dokic has had enough controversy in her history that a lot of people know her name. That gives IW 5 'high profile' players as possible semi-finalists. Anna K would make six, but she's not that likely to make the semis.

1-Kim Clijsters
2-Martina Hingis
3-Justine Henin
4-Monica Seles
5-Jelena Dokic

However Clijsters and Dokic may both withdraw. That would make this the field weaker than Scottsdale.

·
10,772 Posts
where is indian wells?? i know it's in america :rolleyes: but where abouts?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
It's near Palm Springs, in the Southern California desert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts