Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Current Rankings (the number in parens is # of tournaments n the last 12 months)

05 3069.00 Justine Henin-Hardenne (8) -435 (Athens)
07 2799.00 Serena Williams..(11)
08 2697.00 Venus Williams...(15) -39 (Athens)
09 2656.00 Nadia Petrova....(25) -44 (17th)
10 2466.00 Kim Clijsters....(11)
11 2427.00 Mary Pierce..... (18) -142 (Athens) -1 (17th)

Remove the points they're going to lose before the seeding is made (the after Toronto rankings)

07 2799.00 Serena Williams
08 2658.00 Venus Williams
09 2656.00 Nadia Petrova
05 2634.00 Justine Henin-Hardenne
10 2466.00 Kim Clijsters
11 2284.00 Mary Pierce
  • Mary Pierce has almost no chance. She gotta make up 400 points.
  • Serena won't lose any more points, so she almost can't drop to #9. So shes #6, #7 or #8 seed. (unless the USTA decides to use the results of the US Open series inthe seedings.)
  • Kim is playing this week, and will do nothing but add points. She's likely to be very close to Venus and Nadia and Justine. With bonus points for beating Sharapova she might be effectively ahead of them.
  • Matthes Cronin report Petrova has a bad elbow.
08 2658.00 Venus Williams
__ 26##.00 Kim Clijsters
09 2656.00 Nadia Petrova
__ 2634.00 Justine Henin-Hardenne

For two spots.

Without a withdrawal, either Kim, Justine or Venus won't get a top eight seed. A burst by Petrova and two of them don't.

And all four are entered in Toronto. (Current entry list)

1. Maria Sharapova
2. Amelie Mauresmo
3. Svetlana Kuznetsova
4. Serena Williams
5. Justine Henin-Hardenne
6. Venus Williams
7. Nadia Petrova

8. Anastasia Myskina
9. Alicia Molik
10. Mary Pierce
11. Kim Clijsters

A bad draw in the fourth round could end it for Kim.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
Fuck.

·
Registered
829 Posts
You should add Justine to the list and make it the race for the last 2 seeds
She's defending 435 points and has 2633 in safe points before the US open

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
The race for the #16 seed is very tight too...

Zvonareva, Bovina, Jankovic, Ivanovic and Lihovceva fight for only one place (if no withdraw in USO), to miss best players before 4th round!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If Kim wins or reaches the final in LA, she could get up to 2700-2800

Kim, Venus, Serena and Justine are all supposed to play Toronto, Elena is not. If Justine and Venus reach the final, and Serena and KIm the semifinals, they could all pass Elena (assuming she doesn't gain a lot in LA) and Nadia.

Otherwise I don't see all four being in the top 8 seeds.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mishar said:
If Kim wins or reaches the final in LA, she could get up to 2700-2800
True. She got 286 for Stanford, also a Tier II.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
It will be a very exciting tournament in Toronto if there are no withdrawals. Kimmie, Justine, and Venus not seeded in Top 8 :scared:

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
i think kim imight snatch the 8th seed..if she can beat petrva tomorrow...she is geting clsoer

·
Registered
23,509 Posts
It is exciting... but then again, you never know... being out of the top 8 or top 16 might be a good thing... if the draw is such that you meet a weak link in the top 16 or the top 8... and it's semis for you...:D

Of course, you might meet the power players early in the round of 32...:tape:

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Gogo123 said:
You should add Justine to the list and make it the race for the last 2 seeds
She's defending 435 points and has 2633 in safe points before the US open
Is that 2633 after her points from Athens falls off?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Thanks. :) Is Athens falling off this next week then?

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TomTennis said:
actually, you forgot about Justiene, who is ranked 5th now, and will lose about 300 or so points from Athens, and she is currently sitting on 3065 points (i think)...

meaning she will drop to 2765 (just below Serena, and just above Venus!) so if Venus does well at Toronto, she could very well end up 6th seed.

As for Kim, i think it will be dissapointing if she was a 9-16 seed again, meaning she would most probably get a bad draw.
tennnisfannn said:
any 1-12 seeds are pretty tight now days and no single player has any huge advantage oover another. Quite frankly it does not make any difference.
morningglory said:
agreed.... except for no. 1 and 2 since they are almost guaranteed the easiest routes, one being top-most and the other bottom-most, means the lower top seeds will clash before the 1st, 2nd seeds meet other top seeds

stay said:
What's the likelihood of Kim Clijsters being seeded number 8, assuming if she follows through with victories at this week's JP Morgan Chase and next week's tournament at Toronto? Would this translate into a potential show down between the number 8 seed and number 2 seed on the presumption that Lindsay slips to number 2 in the quarter finals at the US Open? I don't think Lindsay's fans out there would like to see this show down coming true considering that both have met in the Round of 16 in the previous 2 Grand Slams.
With apologies to stay, morningglory, tennnisfannn and TomTennis, I see I created this thread twice. I will nuke the shorter of the two.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Sol Apollo said:
Thanks. :) Is Athens falling off this next week then?
i think after Toronto because thats when they do the seedings for the USO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts