Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course for me it's Monica because her career was ruined.

But I also have to add Mary Joe Fernandez, she should have won at least 1 slam. She reached 3 grandslam finals & 6 grandslam semis but met big champions and had some very close heartbreaking losses, while someone like Majoli won a grandslam but never reached another final or semi. Talk about bad luck for Mary Joe. :(

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
LOL I don't feel sorry for any of them. They are all in relative good health, are all millionaires, and all get to make thier living doing something they absolutely love. How many outside of pro sports can say that?

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
LOL I don't feel sorry for any of them. They are all in relative good health, are all millionaires, and all get to make thier living doing something they absolutely love. How many outside of pro sports can say that?
True. :D

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not talking in terms of money, fame, etc. I'm talking in terms of working hard for something and just having bad luck. I know that Mary Joe is rich and all, but let's face it, she worked her whole life for a goal of "winning a slam" and she came close many times but was unlucky. In that sense I feel sorry for her, especially compared to someone like Majoli who doesn't work as hard and doesn't have consistant good results but just happened to win a slam by fluke. And Monica worked so hard and was on her way to become the greatest, but then someone destroyed her goal and didn't allow her to reach full potential. I feel sorry for her in that sense, not when it comes to money and all this stuff.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
It's kinda sad that most of the Seles fans who post on msg. boards seem to be drama queens. Not many of them post about what an inspiration Monica is, and instead dwell on the saddest event in pro sports.

Reactions: darren cahill

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Da Forehand, it's easy for you to say being a Steffi fan and all, but until you walked in the shoes of Seles fans, you don't know what you are talking about. If it happens to your favorite player, you would realize that what you're asking is unrealistic.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
So I guess you also feel sorry for all those not so household names who never so much as made the quarters of a slam, or do you only feel sorry for the rich and famous?

Who knows what would have happened had Monica not been stabbed, maybe that changed her life for the good. Maybe she would have run off w/Jenn. getting drunk and high in cheap motels.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Da Forehand, if you don't feel sorry for anyone, then good for you, say it and leave this thread. I also feel sorry for Sonya Jeyaseelan, she worked very hard and put a real effort, but didn't do that well. I saw a documentary on her and I felt sorry for her.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
It has nothing to do w/who my fav. is, and everything to do w/the way I look at life. It seems like Monica has moved on and most of her fans are somewhat stunted.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If Monica had moved on, she would play in Germany. She hasn't moved on.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, the main focuse of my thread was about Mary Joe Fernandez not winning a slam when others with less talent and less hard work did. I don't know why you are focusing on Monica. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
You feel so sorry for everyone, does that mean you're making this post from the homeless shelter that you volunteer at on weekends?

I'd trade places w/any pro player, hell I'd join the tour tomorrow if I could make the money I make at my 9-5. The reward of doing something you love and having the chance at winning a slam far outweights working for someone else.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Maybe because you put Monica tops on your list of people to feel sorry for

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again you are talking about money. I'm talking about working hard for something but being unlucky and not accomplishing it. And since this is a tennis board, it's irrelevant to talk about our 9-5 jobs and poor people in Africa :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
No I'm not talking about money, although you need it to live, unless you're willing to rely on the kindness of others. I'm talking about the reward of doing something you love for a living. In that regard I envy all pro tennis players, I love tennis but couldn't make a living playing....you should feel sorry for me.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, for the last time, we are talking about tennis players, not you, me or anyone else. This is a tennis board and we are talking about tennis players.

Now, if you don't feel sorry for any tennis player, then fine. Just don't harrass me about it. The fact that I feel sorry for Mary Joe doesn't mean that I feel more sorry for her then someone who has terminal cancer or was raped or don't have money to eat. We are talking about tennis and "feeling sorry" is taken in the context of tennis players. Sure when compared to others it's nothing, but there are several degrees of feeling sorry for someone. I feel sorry for Monica Seles to have been stabbed and seeing her career and goals destroyed, but it doesn't mean that I compare it to not having food or money or being sick. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Ok well then if you put it that way...I don't feel sorry for any professional tennis player. They are rich, famous, and have the best job in the world...What's to feel sorry for?

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DA FOREHAND said:
Ok well then if you put it that way...I don't feel sorry for any professional tennis player. They are rich, famous, and have the best job in the world...What's to feel sorry for?
Well good :) I don't know, maybe someone would feel sorry for Corina Morariu? heck if some people felt sorry for Serena at the French because she got booed, then I'm sure there are many more players to feel sorry for.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
I'd say Mirjana Lucic. I know people will say she brings a lot of it on herself these days, but I don't think anyone can understand or imagine what effect the things she's been through have had on her.

DA FOREHAND said:
....you should feel sorry for me.
I do. ;)

·
Registered
12,561 Posts
i think mary joe fernandez and helena sukova are the best players never to win a slam .

mirjana is such a waste of talent...... it's so sad

1 - 20 of 37 Posts