Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about Kournikova's last match, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to discuss the last match of your fave, did you expect them to lose and end their career that way on that day and what's your thought on the player who ended your fave's career.

____

Ana IVANOVIC
lost to Denisa ALLERTOVA in the 1st round of the US Open in 2016.

I didn't see any of Allertova's matches before but I knew she plays agressively and with Ana being in poor form, seeing her name in a draw rang a bell. Allertova had a decent career so far, probably did less than she could but overall I feel this is the exact type of a player Ana used to bomb out to on her poor form. Also, I find it somewhat fitting that her career ended to a Czech, as Ana always struggled against players from top players from this country. Funnily enough, Ivanović had a positive H2H against Petra Kvitova of all Czechs, but her struggles against Safarova and Pliskova were well documented. She pigeonised Iveta Benesova Melzer and Barbora Strycova though, but eventually fell to Denisa Allertova in New York.

Maria SHARAPOVA lost in the 1st round of the 2020 Australian Open to Donna Vekic from Croatia. I didn't expect Maria to lose that match. Maria traditionally did well in Melbourne and in spite of her obvious decline, I still thought she would manage to win a round or two before it gets rough. Vekic improved in 2019/2020 though and proved to be an emperor on that day, finishing career of the popular tennis icon. I feel Vekic didn't fulfill her potential at all. Back in early 2010s when she enjoyed her early teenage success, she looked as a future top 20 fixture. Never happened.

·
Registered
55,137 Posts
it was not her last match but Koukalova ended Srebotnik's hopes to get a decent ranking back at FO 2010 and Kata ended her singles career a few weeks later - I admit I don't have high opinion on Koukalova , especially given she had already beaten Kata in a Portoroz final and I woud have loved Kata to win her "home" tournament in Slovenia once ..

I think both my favourite players ever Pierce and Martinez ended their careers with a retirmemnt loss , to Zvonareva and Hantuchova respectively so I can't be too mad at them even though coincidentially, I was never a fan of either, to say the least
Pierce had MP and was leading 64 65 so obviously I didn't expect it and it's the worst way ever to end your career - devastating-the images still haunt me
Martinez's injury was less serious and she had pushed her career the longer she could , including a title in Pattaya weeks before that so obviously I was disappointed but I knew it was bound to happen some day

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Henin losing to Kuznetsova in the 2011 Australian open.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
909 Posts
Bianca ENDED Kerber's career.

That woman was never the same after she lost that Indian wells/her best opportunity to win a tier 1 despite playing her top tennis and the lashing she received from the tennis media/public after she gave bianca a sore loser handshake like she has done to many others before. That was the last time she played top level tennis.

·
Registered
15,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I meant literal LAST match, not the matches that had negative mental impact 🤣

Reactions: pattyclijsters

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
Bianca ENDED Kerber's career.

That woman was never the same after she lost that Indian wells/her best opportunity to win a tier 1 despite playing her top tennis and the lashing she received from the tennis media/public after she gave bianca a sore loser handshake like she has done to many others before. That was the last time she played top level tennis.
But Kerber was right calling Andreescu a Drama Queen especially in the hindsight.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Does tout le monde still detest that Amy Frazier for so cruelly ending Graf’s career, forever humiliated, broken and forlorn? Or that Petrova driving Seles from the game? Crying Vera Zvonereva for viciously halting Capriat’s storied comeback at 28, too humiliated by the frightful loss to ever return? Or that bad gal Zina for pushing Evert out forever + ever!
Villians one + all.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I was at the match the day Nadya Petrova lost to Marina Erakovic in Charleston, 7-5 in the 3rd in '014. She saved 8 or 9 match points before Erakovic finally got her. I remember thinking at the time, i wonder if this is Nadya's last stand and that's why she's fighting so hard, and also, i hope she wins this because it would definitely suck to have her last match be against Erakovic, who is one of the least inspired characters that i've ever seen on a tennis court.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Crying Vera Zvonereva for viciously halting Capriat’s storied comeback at 28, too humiliated by the frightful loss to ever return?

I guess that loss at a minor tournament to Vera Z has little or nothing to do with why JenCap never returned, the mystery of her story is a hell of a lot bigger than that.

Jenny had shoulder surgery in Febuary of '05 that should have allowed her to be back in time for the USO that year, age 29. She was never heard from again, and nobody really knows what happened. Obviously if she had been planning to quit, she wouldn't have put herself through the operation.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Sasnovich d. Lucic-Baroni Aus Open 2nd round in 2018. I thought boy Lucic is gonna lose a lot of points because she was a SF the year before but I didn't think it would be her last ever match

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
My fav's career was ended by 3 players
1: Venus Williams
Last match Steffi was mentally totally there. I never saw her so her so happy after a quarterfinal win. Great atmosphere too. In the other two matches in wimbledon she never had the same energy anymore
2: Andre A
Well I still think that a first date in a weekend before a tournament isn't a good idea when you think about retirement. It might have given her the final push.
3: Amy Frazier
Well didn't see that match since it was not on tv, but I doubt Steffi would have retired if she planned to play on. This really sounded like I had enough lets just be done with it just now.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts