Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can think of a number of players who have made contribution to the prosperity of the game.. but none of them has done as much for the tour as the Willam sisters. The sisters have given so much (not taken nearly as much in return) to the women's tennis. They have raised the bar and helped the sport improve in popularity as well. I just can't think of any other player who has done so much as the sisters for the sake of the sport.
I may be biased a bit since I'm a dedicated fan of them.. but anyways..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
I would say BJK will always be the most influential of all. She was the one who started it all. I guess Martina Navratilova was the one who started putting in the athleticism and the fitness in the game to another level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
jennifer capriati purely cos of her comeback story she brought a lot of attention to the game also due to being a child prodigy
tv ratings for the OZ opens increased drastically wen jen was in them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,518 Posts
BJK and all the others who made it possible to play professional or helped build the wta-tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,218 Posts
Sorry, but a big DF against BJK:

1) Took Tainted Tobacco $ (hence the Virginia Slims Tour) in the heyday of feminism, when another prime Sponsor Surely would have been found.

2) Participated in a total Fucking Farce, playing a guy easily old enough 2B her father, whose only Slam Was Won B4 BJK was even born; AND had it Billed "Battle of the Sexes".

In reality, the Chrissie-Martina rivalry created Millions More fans of womens TENNIS, not a Shill's Sideshow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,240 Posts
umm, he wanted to play her, he told everyone he could beat her, and she had to prove he was telling lies. she doesn't consider it a true battle of the sexes herself. she said "i could have played that match anyway i wanted to win it. i chose to hit as softly as i could to make him alook all the more clumsy and out of shape."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,149 Posts
Gladys Heldman, publisher of "World Tennis"
The Original Nine (Peaches Bartkowicz, Rosie Casals, Judy Dalton, Julie Heldman, Kerry Melville, Kristy Pigeon, Nancy Richey, Valerie Ziegenfuss, and Billie Jean King)
Joseph Cullman III of the Philip Morris Co. (Virginia Slims)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Kournikova she bring many fans to tennis, starting by me ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,218 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
umm, he wanted to play her, he told everyone he could beat her, and she had to prove he was telling lies. she doesn't consider it a true battle of the sexes herself. she said "i could have played that match anyway i wanted to win it. i chose to hit as softly as i could to make him alook all the more clumsy and out of shape."
Did she ever publicly disavow the hype? And what about whoring out To The most Anti-Athletic class of Product Possible (tobacco) instead of finding a sponsor other than Murder, Inc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,026 Posts
I've given tennis more than all the others put together. I have given you all: Great hair, Stunning vowels, Long necks, PingPongServes and PantsPamPredictions. What more could y'all want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,574 Posts
Rossana Neffa-de los Rios- because she can come back even with a child ;) :lol: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,755 Posts
There is NO one who has given more to women's tennis than BJK.

Plus Evert and Navratilova were very active in the WTA too. No player since they retired has given as much back to women's tennis.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
37 Posts
Monica Seles -The whole power of both sides , service return winners , the grunting , the comeback , the graciousness , the fan following etc etc etc :worship:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,012 Posts
all the greats...bjk, nav, chrissy, steffi, monica, gaby (the original sex goddess :hearts: ), Anna K and the Williams sisters...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,240 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Did she ever publicly disavow the hype? And what about whoring out To The most Anti-Athletic class of Product Possible (tobacco) instead of finding a sponsor other than Murder, Inc?
who cares if she liked some hype? it was good for womens tennis...
i've never thought it was a good thing to be sponsored by a tobacco company.. but COME ON, look in your cupboard and do some research and see how many of those companies are owned by tobacco. sometimes you have to seel out by choosing what's best for the tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,218 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
who cares if she liked some hype? it was good for womens tennis...
i've never thought it was a good thing to be sponsored by a tobacco company.. but COME ON, look in your cupboard and do some research and see how many of those companies are owned by tobacco. sometimes you have to seel out by choosing what's best for the tour.
Go find a 48 y.o. woman with lung cancer or emphysema who Started Smoking around 1971 Because Bitch Jean King saw nothing Wrong With a high-performance sport taking blood money. Tell HER what you just posted. (Be patient as she answers between labored breaths, please). :rolleyes:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top