Tennis Forum banner
601 - 620 of 648 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
In my country the corona rating go higher and higher despite that a lot of people are already vaccinated.
It's a similar trend everywhere. The virus is now spreading mostly among younger people (<40yo), who are not yet vaccinated, while social distancing restrictions are being removed.

The good thing is that less people are now dying from Covid.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Qiang Wang has gotten the vaccine while in training in Rizhao
updated.

·
Registered
20,031 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I read everywhere that in certain countries they will obligate the vaccin.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Info from S Myles, only 39% of WTA were players are vaccinated

The level of vaccination within the WTA family not being close to the level required (Open Court has learned that it’s currently at about 30 per cent), it will make no difference whether the players or staff are vaccinated or not.

30% actually looks good to me. It's higher than the level of fully vaccinated people in the age group 20-30 in most countries.

Professional athletes usually don't have privileged access to Covid vaccines, so they are waiting just like all the young people, who are the last in line. Many of them are getting their vaccine shots this summer.

·
Registered
20,031 Posts
30% actually looks good to me. It's higher than the level of fully vaccinated people in the age group 20-30 in most countries.

Professional athletes usually don't have privileged access to Covid vaccines, so they are waiting just like all the young people, who are the last in line. Many of them are getting their vaccine shots this summer.
Typo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
This is the thread where we are allowed to express our opinions re players and vaccines / anti vax / hesitancy.

I will say it again: Jo Konta opting out of having a vaccine now is irresponsible. There are 16 year old children in the UK having the vaccine to protect themselves and others (basically, doing the right thing) and Jo, a fully grown responsible adult, has opted out - putting herself and others at risk.

Very disappointing decision from her and thankfully she does not represent the UK’s position: unless you count 10% of the population we don’t want here.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
She is saying "I take the time to take this personal decision", That almost sounds like she is afraid that it is a life changing event.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
But I thought her injury is about her knee and not about her covid vaccin ?

Konta will take the vaccin , when its possible I assume ?

Coco is also still not vaccinated.

She said that she couldnt get the vaccine anytime sooner , because she was to young in Charleston .
That was only for above the 18 and then she was for months in Europe.

Her parents and team where fully vaccinated before the Europe tour but she wasnt.

Right before Tokyo she would take round 1 of the vaccin but then she was to late and already had Covid and now she must wait a couple of weeks and she hopes she can take it before and after usopen .

So its not that easy , maybe its with Konta the same problem ?

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
But I thought her injury is about her knee and not about her covid vaccin ?

Konta will take the vaccin , when its possible I assume ?

Coco is also still not vaccinated.

She said that she couldnt get the vaccine anytime sooner , because she was to young in Charleston .
That was only for above the 18 and then she was for months in Europe.

Her parents and team where fully vaccinated before the Europe tour but she wasnt.

Right before Tokyo she would take round 1 of the vaccin but then she was to late and already had Covid and now she must wait a couple of weeks and she hopes she can take it before and after usopen .

So its not that easy , maybe its with Konta the same problem ?
Konta fell in the age group that was offered in the UK quite some time ago.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Fully-Vaccinated Players Definition

US Open

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago ...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
So if you will be vaccinated now it takes about two months before you are considered fully vaccinated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
In my country the corona rating go higher and higher despite that a lot of people are already vaccinated. Maybe getting rid of the mouth masks in public places so soon wasn't that smart afterall but then peppi and kokki aka Rutte and De Jonge have failed over and over again in corona issues since march 2020.
yues, but I bet most of the infections were among the unvaccinated.
In the US infections are 90% unvaccinated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

What countries in the West are young people waiting in?
No-one is waiting in Canada, and In the US they have to pay people to get vac'd, they have that much extra vac and people not getting it.

Anyway, I don't buy that reason for pro athletes--the athletic overseeing bodies, like the atp or wta could provide the vacs.
There is no excuse in the richer countries of the world, at this point. Developing world is another story.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Info from S Myles, only 39% of WTA were players are vaccinated

The level of vaccination within the WTA family not being close to the level required (Open Court has learned that it’s currently at about 30 per cent), it will make no difference whether the players or staff are vaccinated or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
that is an obscenely low number
wow

good on Myles for letting this info out

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Most people who want the vaccination here already got a second one. I was rather late because I was sick during the first time and wasn't able to cycle to the dolfinarium that moment otherwise I would have my second shot already.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
What countries in the West are young people waiting in?
No-one is waiting in Canada, and In the US they have to pay people to get vac'd, they have that much extra vac and people not getting it.

Anyway, I don't buy that reason for pro athletes--the athletic overseeing bodies, like the atp or wta could provide the vacs.
There is no excuse in the richer countries of the world, at this point. Developing world is another story.
My post that you quoted is from a month ago. At that time, young people in many european countries didn't have their second vaccine shot yet.

When vaccines were still rare, only governments could get them. A sports federation couldn't simply buy them on the market for their athletes. Governments usually followed a strict priority list, and athletes were not among the most essential persons to receive a vaccine.

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
My post that you quoted is from a month ago. At that time, young people in many european countries didn't have their second vaccine shot yet.

When vaccines were still rare, only governments could get them. A sports federation couldn't simply buy them on the market for their athletes. Governments usually followed a strict priority list, and athletes were not among the most essential persons to receive a vaccine.
Which is odd considering they are globe trotting - it’s not as though they can stay indoors and maintain distance until they wait their turn.

If I had not had my jabs I wouldn’t have taken myself off abroad for an overseas holiday.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

OK. But in sports orgs like the NHL, MLB etc etc that weren't requiring vacs, I know for a fact, based in the US they sure as hell could get the vacs.
My point is more that the big sports organizers were unwilling to mandate vacs, and the US ones have had access since the winter. And in general, the thing stopping mandatory vacs for athletes was not access, but an unwillingness to make it mandatory.

In other areas of life--like health care, education, international travel, you are seeing this issue play out across the board. Almost everywhere. The protests in France for eg. Biden with federal workers. IN Canada, some universities just made it mandatory.

many people don't realize this, but vacs for things like measles, polio etc have been mandatory forever in primary schools. At least in Canada, but I suspect many places. Yet they are so reluctant with covid.
Phenomenal stupidity. But of course there has to be access.

They're afraid of the protests. And bullshit about "civil rights"

601 - 620 of 648 Posts