Status
Not open for further replies.
761 - 780 of 1179 Posts

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
Great find on Muriel Mark! :worship:
Muriel was still being called Mrs Hextall as late as August 1935, but I don't know what happened to her after that. According to the London "Times", H. Cecil Hextall married Clare E. Marten, "quietly in London", on 2 January 1953.
-----

·
25,092 Posts
Muriel was still being called Mrs Hextall as late as August 1935, but I don't know what happened to her after that. According to the London "Times", H. Cecil Hextall married Clare E. Marten, "quietly in London", on 2 January 1953.
-----
Interseting. I notice in the New York Times that the paper doesn't hesitate to insert "divorcee" or "formerly married to" into wedding notices if a previos marriage existed. Would I be correctr in guessing the London Times is more reticent?

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Interseting. I notice in the New York Times that the paper doesn't hesitate to insert "divorcee" or "formerly married to" into wedding notices if a previos marriage existed. Would I be correctr in guessing the London Times is more reticent?
Generally, yes, although at some point the London "Times" did start regularly carrying details of divorces as well births, marriages, deaths, etc.
-----

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #765 (Edited)
AGNETA MAUD TABOR [---> Recheck first name]
United Kingdom
Born 10 May 1862
Died 8 October 1933
Married Henry Hawley Shaw, 3 January 1893
--

Agneta Tabor played in the women's singles event at Wimbledon in 1886 when the event in question was only three years old. She reached the All-Comers' Final before losing to Blanche Bingley, who went on to win the title for the first time.

Two of Agneta's brothers, George and Arthur, played in the Wimbledon singles event in the years 1878-80. They were three of the children of the Reverend Robert Stammers Tabor, a graduate of Cambridge University, England, and his first wife, Mary Dolman.

Agneta played little competitive lawn tennis, most likely because at that time it was thought unseemly for a lady to take part in competitive sports.
-----

·
25,092 Posts
Hi Mark-

Also found this-she appears to be a sister of the Agneta mentioned above.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/r/Cyril-M-Carter/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0355.html

Helen Amy Tabor (daughter of ROBERT STAMMERS TABOR and MARY DOLLMAN) was born 23 December 1863, and died 16 September 1946.

Notes for Helen Amy Tabor:
Funeral of Arthur Sidney Tabor. "The chief mourners were... Mrs Rowe and Miss Amy Tabor (sisters) (The Times, 19 October 1927)

More About Helen Amy Tabor:
Fact 1: Wimbledon Ladies Finalist, 1886.

I'll double check Barrett's this evening to see if he provides initials.

·
25,092 Posts
Found birth and death dates for Marion Vanderhoef:

VANDERHOEF, MARION (Marion Wycoff Vanderhoef)
United States
Born 06 December 1894 in New York City, New York.
Died 09 June 1985 in New London, Connecticut.
Married Harry Franklin Morse (born circa 1891), 6 April 1918

Per 1940 census daughters Betty C (bc 1924) and Sally W (bc 1930).

·
25,092 Posts
I found Mrs Brame Hillyard. With the initials of B Hillard is it easy to view her as Blanche Hillyard, but this is not the case.

Agnes Florence Richards
United Kingdom
Married Brame Hillyard (1876-1959) 7 Feb 1922 - Harrogate, Christchurch, West Yorkshire.

Her father’s name was Charles Edward Richards
Active on the Riviera in 1922 with her husband. Her husband Brame was the first man to wear shorts at Wimbledon in 1930. Was Brame related to George? I have found no evidence for it so far. It was his second marriage-while Agnes is described as a spinster on the marriage register.

·
25,092 Posts
SCHOMBURGK, TONI (nee Toni Mettenheimer)
Germany
Born 1898
Died 1980
Married to Heinrich Georg Schomburgk (June 30, 1885 – March 29, 1965) in February 1920

She was from Königstein-marrying the well known star Heinrich Schomburgk from Dredsden. The pair were based out of Leipzig until 1949, when the returned to Toni hometown of Königstein, where Toni started a tennis school.

Her name sometimes rendered as Tony, but Toni is more correct.

Heinrich Schomburgk has a photo album currently residing in the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum Leipzig. It’s called Mein Sport und Bild. He won a gold medal in the 1912 Olympic Mixed event with Koring. Toni won the 1922 German mixed event with her husband.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Barrett simply lists an A Tabor.
Can anyone check in Alan Little's Wimbledon Compendium, whether he lists her as Amy (born in 1963) or Agneta (as Mark suggets)?
It must be in the compilation list of women finalists (there are some additional ladies listed after the semifinalists as well, who reached the final before 1921)

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Can anyone check in Alan Little's Wimbledon Compendium, whether he lists her as Amy (born in 1963) or Agneta (as Mark suggets)?
It must be in the compilation list of women finalists (there are some additional ladies listed after the semifinalists as well, who reached the final before 1921)
Hi, Karoly,

The source for the information I posted above on Agneta Tabor is Alan Little's "Wimbledon Compendium" (2010 edition). However, a distant relative of the Tabors told me that (Helen) Amy, one of Agneta's sisters, was the one who reached the All-Comers' Final of the singles event at Wimbledon in 1886.

I'm still in the process of trying to verify all of this. Helen Amy was known to family and friends as Amy.

Mark
-----

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
Agneta and (Helen) Amy Tabor were two of the ten surviving children (five boys and five girls) of Robert and Mary Tabor. Robert was for many years headmaster of Cheam School in what is now the London borough of Sutton.

According to the book "Cheam School from 1645", by Edward Peel, "Whether [Robert] Tabor was himself an athlete we do not know, but he certainly had athletic children. Monty and Arthur played cricket for Eton, and Arthur, who was also a runner, a footballer, a fives player and a golfer, opened the batting for Cambridge in three successive years and later played for Middlesex and Surrey. Alfred was in the Harrow XI for both football and cricket, and also played cricket for Middlesex.

"The youngest daughter, Amy, who so narrowly escapted death [from measles, mumps or whooping cough] in 1866, was a ladies' singles finalist at Wimbledon and might have gone on to higher things, but was not allowed to compete a second time because of the undesirable publicity!"
-----

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your entry:

LILIAN KELAIDIS
Switzerland
Born 23 May 196
Died
Married Dreschner

-----------------
First of all: year of birth is 1965.
Name "Dreschner" should be "Drescher".

Most importantly: I am convinced that the names have been switched.
Note that in many European countries (including my own) married name is mentioned first, followed by maiden name.
She played as Drescher from 1980 (age 15! probably not married) until 1987.
I think Kelaidis is her husband's name. Currently she is active for a Swiss business firm called Kamata AG, inscribed in the "Handelsregister" as being from the town of Glyfada (Greece), which is consistent with "Kelaidis" having the look of being a Greek name.

Therefore my guess is:
LILIAN DRESCHER
Switzerland
Born 23 May 1965
Married Kelaidis

Regards, Vinkje83

·
Registered
24 Posts
w-w-w-w-w

NANCYE MEREDITH WYNNE
Australia
Born 10 June 1917
Died 9 December 2001
Married George Frederick "Peter" Bolton, 6 July 1940; died during World War II
--------------------

Her page at the Tennis Hall of Fame
http://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/nancy-wynn-bolton
specifies:
Born 2 December 1916
Died 9 November 2001

In addition I found a document at the Australian Memoirs Foundation:
http://memoirsfoundation.org.au/images/Authors/Nancye Wynne Bolton/Nancye-Wynne-Bolton-book-extract.pdf
also specifying 2 December 1916 as birth date.

Vinkje83

·
25,092 Posts
I came up short with Drescher. I can only confirm that she was still single (as Lilian Drescher) in 1987. She dropped off the tour in early 1988.

I found this article while confirming the spelling for Lidy Venneboer. My Dutch is non-existent, but the article seems to suggest that Jansen was just part of her family name and she married a German named Kirsch circa 1971.

Am I correct or off on Lidy?

http://www.gelderlander.nl/sport/tennis/2843645/Ik-heb-er-lang-niet-alles-uitgehaald.ece

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
To Rollo and Vinkje:

The mistake about Lilian Drescher married Kelaidis was mine. In the post #285 I have switched the names and badly written Dreschner. I am sorry!!

761 - 780 of 1179 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.