Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
ALTHEA ENID BOYCE
Australia
Born
Died
Married Brian William Hone, 1 August 1933

According to the London "Times", both of the above were from Adelaide, South Australia. They were married in the Parish Church in Peasmarsh in Pelsham, an idyllic part of East Sussex.
-----

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #331 (Edited)
FRANCES MARY LYON
United Kingdom
Born
Died
Married Einar Athelstan Gordon Caroe, circa June 1934

He was based in Liverpool, but Scandinavian in origin.
-----

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #334 (Edited)
Just a few players, from the long list in section 241 above, for whom it has not been so far possible to find a marriage date and other information:

Miss M. Langmuir -> Mrs J. Barr

Miss S. O'Connor -> Mrs Vernon Gordon Kirby

Miss D.M.S. White -> Mrs Louis Birch
-----

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a few players, from the long list in section 241 above, for whom it has not been so far possible to find a marriage date and other information:

Miss M. Langmuir -> Mrs J. Barr

Miss S. O'Connor -> Mrs Vernon Gordon Kirby

Miss D.M.S. White -> Mrs Louis Birch
-----
Sheila O' Connor (South Africa)
Born 4 OCT 1911 King Williams Town, South africa
Death 8 SEP 2005 Perth, Western Australia
Married Vernon Gordon Kirby in Johannesburg 1933

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mildred Coles could have been Joan Mildred Coles or Jane Mildred Coles, but popularly known as Mildred. Hence the "Miss M. Coles" always found in sources. J. Coles was definitely Mildred's sister.
--

Strangely enough, I've never ever seen Louisa Martin being mentioned as "Mollie" or "Molly" in any sources whatsoever, including Irish ones. I believe the only source for this is Arthur "Bud" Collins, who also referred to Dorothea Douglass (later Lambert Chambers) as "Dolly". It's clear, however, that although her full name was Mary Louisa Martin, she was known as Louisa. Hence the "Miss L. Martin" in contemporary sources.

Given the discretion exercised by journalists back when these players were active, it's extremely unlikely that either of these players had such a nickname. Dorothea Douglass was a vicar's (?) daughter, so "Dolly" would have been a highly inappropriate nickname for someone from her background.
-----
I think I've cracked the case :)
In a report on the Folkestone tournament in 1902 there's a reference to the "Misses Coles (Leeds)".
Since Mildred played county tennis for Kent this must be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds,_Kent and sure enough we have the following living there at the turn of the last century.

Mildred COLES
born 9 Apr 1876 in Cranbrook, Kent, England
died 1954 Bromley, Kent, England
Died unmarried

and her elder sister

Jessie Mary Coles
Birth 11 Dec 1870 in Cranbrook, Kent, England
Death Sep 1918 in Tonbridge, Kent, England
Died unmarried

321 - 340 of 1179 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.